Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling a Tank

Options
  • 27-07-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Got my first ever fish tank today a 90L one, and ive read the sticky on cycling a tank but im just wondering how long it would usually take( ive no fish atm but i got the product that has the dormant bacteria in it). And what would be a good fish to get as a first?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Takes about 6 weeks. There's a sticky at the top of the forum explaining the process!

A good source of ammonia to use is Waterlife Biomature, or normal household ammonia. The dormant bacteria stuff doesn't really work in my experience.

As for the fish, possibilities are fairly endless - do be sure to find out the adult size of the fish as some may outgrow your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Do not use ammonia to cycle your tank.
    There is a lot more than Ammonia in the bottle and they can and will kill your
    fish. I am sorry I cannot elaborate more on using house hold ammonia but
    I was warned at a talk on water chemistry a few months back never to use it.
    I just cannot reciprocate exactly what was said.

Have you tried kick starting your tank. All you need is some bacteria from a
    mature filter. Where are you based. If you are near enough I can drop down
    and give you some squeezings.

You could also go to www.irishfishforum.com and you will find some one there
    who will sort you out.

Advertisement