Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Diver Career

Options
  • 27-07-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I posted a similar message in the engineering board a while back but I think here may have been a better choice.

I am a Structural Eng. graduate and am just finishing up my masters at present. A career as an Engineering Diver has always been something that has appealed to me but its not the easiest thing to research. I have been diving on and off through college clubs over the past number of years, and am qualified and heavily involved in a number of water based sports but have not been able to find the free time over the last year or two to commit to diving fully. Now that I'm nearly finished my studies I'm considering going abroad to do a DM internship and have been saving for this for a while.

Could anyone out there offer me any advice/criticism (am I wasting my time/money), on any matter related to it really. Is there any Engineer Divers on this form,( I know that Collins Engineers in Dublin have this niche market pretty well sewn up in this country). Is there there any particular programme that needs to be undertaken to satisfy Dive at Work H&S regulation, etc.

I appreciate any help you all can give..
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paul o

i think you need to do a commercial diving course. The DM is just another recreational diver course, all be it building dive leadership skills but I dont think it will really be applicable imho

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If you want to work as an Engineer and a diver in Ireland then you will need a HSE Part 111 (Surface Supply)
    In reality you would probably find that most jobs (called Civils) require the Part 1V air diving only, but our HSA require that you have Part 111 done.

Civils diving is the lower end of the market and pays the least money. To increase your value you might need experience with photo/video underwater, and comms to the surface - which would be standard with the band mask/KM Superlite and surface supply.

You should Google Fort William underwater centre, and commercial diving schools in UK and South Africa (cheapest)

There are also forums on commercial diving in the Yorkshire Divers forum and Scubaboard.

A further qualification in recreational scuba will not help your progress down the commercial diver route.

You may eventually find your calling in topside support for diving, where your whole range of acquired knowledge/skills would be both beneficial, and paid for.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

seadeuce wrote: »

You may eventually find your calling in topside support for diving, where your whole range of acquired knowledge/skills would be both beneficial, and paid for.

Seadeuce

Good advice.

From what you mentioned, qualifications etc. get a job almost immediatly at the moment with at subsea engineering companies. Also worth looking at offshore renewables outfits they are all crying out for structural eng types.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement