Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Modules Question

Options
  • 27-07-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I'm in the process of signing up with with the Open University for the first time to pursue a Honors Bachelors Degree in Combined Social Science (Psychology).

I've already done some previous study so I may be starting at Level 2 which involves completing two 60 credit modules.

Basically my question is how hard is Level 2 and how much of a work load is in a 60 credit module? Would it be realistic/possible to do two modules (120 credits) at the same time?

Also if anyone has any other tips relating to Open University it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're working full time, 2 modules is the equivalent to full time at a regular university, so it can be tough. You also have to factor in conflicting dates for assignments etc which may make it harder than ever.

Generally their guidelines on how much time it will take are accurate, but everyone will vary. Some will take much less time because they know the subject or have an aptitude, while others will take longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Scorpio22 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the process of signing up with with the Open University for the first time to pursue a Honors Bachelors Degree in Combined Social Science (Psychology).

I've already done some previous study so I may be starting at Level 2 which involves completing two 60 credit modules.

Basically my question is how hard is Level 2 and how much of a work load is in a 60 credit module? Would it be realistic/possible to do two modules (120 credits) at the same time?

Also if anyone has any other tips relating to Open University it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

So you're not going for the BSc Hons Psychology?

Is your previous study degree level? 120pts as Buffybot says is FT equivalent, so if you have other commitments it'll be a challenge especially as you are adapting to the OU methods of learning. No doubt you're doing Exporing Psychology DSE212 in Oct, why not just start that and see how you go and pick up another 60pts in Feb.

Better to do one course well and find your feet than jumping in full on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

The OU feels that a 60 credit course would generally take 16hrs per week for 9 months so 120 credits would be 32hrs a week (as others have stated above).

More information on the OU website here

Advertisement