Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving (Wexford)

Options
  • 27-07-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi i live in Wexford and i own a Honda civic i have a full license and insurance. My mate is 16 therefore dont have a licence. He asked could he drive my car but i wont let him drive it at the risk of getting caught. I was wondering if there is anywhere around wexford where i could let him drive and not have a problem with the Guards. Eg Car parks or somewhere like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭RedXIV

He wouldn't be allowed to drive the car anywhere that is open to the public so car parks, roads, anything that another driver can use is not an option. However, I vaguely remember being told you can't be told not to drive on your own land so if he has a big driveway or access to a field, then he could drive there

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

RedXIV wrote: »
    He wouldn't be allowed to drive the car anywhere that is open to the public so car parks, roads, anything that another driver can use is not an option. However, I vaguely remember being told you can't be told not to drive on your own land so if he has a big driveway or access to a field, then he could drive there

Thanks thats really helpful :D

Thanks thats really helpful :D

I honestly don't know if what Red said is correct or not but DON'T rely on that advice. If you get caught and it is illegal you can't say "well a fella on the internet said it's grand".

Also, no matter where you drive it, once he gets in the car your insurance will not cover anything that happens to that car.

Not trying to rain on your parade just being sure you're aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

You can drive on private land of course.. do you know anyone with a long drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's private property and not at the time open to the public with vehicles then it is not a public place within the meaning of the Road Traffic Acts and therefore he can drive without a licence or insurance.

Farmers' sons and daughters all over the country drive the family tractor around the farm from a young age and it's all legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would like to add to this that if the Pubic has access on foot or via vehicle then you must be insured

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vectra wrote: »
    I would like to add to this that if the Pubic has access on foot or via vehicle then you must be insured

Don't agree with the 'on foot' stuff. According to the RTA 1961 it's a public place if the public have access 'with vehicles' and you need a driving licence and insurance. The implication is that if the place is open to the public but they can't bring their vehicles then it is not a public place under the RTA so you do not need licence or insurance. Similarly, you can only be charged with dangerous driving if it happens in a public place.

“public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0003.html#sec3

My reading of the legislation is that is that if you had a local shopping centre the car park of which was closed at night, you could slip the security man a tip and do doughnutting all night long in a dangerously defective banger with no driving licence or insurance, regardless of whether people were allowed access on foot to the place or not. Sounds crazy but that's how I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

QUOTE=coylemj;73531682]
    My reading of the legislation is that is that if you had a local shopping centre the car park of which was closed at night, you could slip the security man a tip and do doughnutting all night long in a dangerously defective banger with no driving licence or insurance, regardless of whether people were allowed access on foot to the place or not. Sounds crazy but that's how I read it.[/QUOTE]

I agree
    But that is all fine until someone else makes their way into the said car park and gets blown away with the car doing donuts
    who would be responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

vectra wrote: »
    I agree
    But that is all fine until someone else makes their way into the said car park and gets blown away with the car doing donuts
    who would be responsible?

That's a separate matter and could depend on whether reasonable precautions were taken to protect passers-by and by-standers.
    It would't be a road traffic offence so he can't be prosecuted for defective car, no licence, no insurance, drink driving, etc.
    Motor insurance is unlikely to give cover anyway because doing doughnuts it's outside the terms of most insurance policies, would be a civil suit all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Private land is the only answer - end of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

Ya i have to agree that private land is my only option Cheers lads

Advertisement