Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please - injured bird

Options
  • 27-07-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have just arrived home to find some sort of a small bird (a sparrow maybe? no idea) in a shoebox in the kitchen. Apparently my young sister and her friends found it injured on the ground, and picked it up and carried it home, and my father put it in a shoebox.

It's foot looks injured or broken, and they think its wing is broken too.

I'm well aware that they shouldn't have touched the poor thing, but it's too late for that now. :( So what should be done with it? If they bring it back and leave it where they found it, it'll probably die. Is there any point bringing it too the vet? Or will they just charge us to put it down? Is there anything we can do for it in the meantime? At the moment, it seems to be in shock, just twitching in a corner of the box. :( They have some chopped up apple in there, but he isn't eating it.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Rang the vet there - they said to bring him in and they'd see if there's anything they can do, and they won't charge us. Thought that was good of them! Fingers crossed they'll be able to do something ... will update!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Awh poor thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Unfortunate. At least your sister tried to help.
    Most vets will see that sort of thing free of charge, although when they're badly injured (ie, broken wing) usually the only thing they can do is put the poor animal to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

go to the vet. it will be free of charge.
    injured wings can mend. i once brought an injured bird in to my vet and he survived. so bring him in, and hopefully he is a fighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Rang the vet today ... the poor wee thing died almost immediately after being brought in. :(

RIP li'l birdie!

Advertisement