Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF Masterworks

Options
  • 27-07-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

I recently discovered the SF Masterworks series of books and managed to get my hands on a fair few in HMV's north and south of the border for €3/£3 a piece.

As I am not exactly flush with cash, I would rather be getting the books cheap and was hoping someone here might know where I could get books from the series cheap.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

amazon.co.uk have quite a few of them for about £5 (about €5.75) each at the moment, which is about half what you'd pay in Hodges Figgis or the like.

I can particularly recommend 'Inverted World', and 'The Demolished Man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

replay by Ken Grimwood isnt too bad and Forever war by Joe hadleman(spelling?) is great.

Oh and the incredible shrinking man is also great

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Forever war by Joe hadleman(spelling?) is great.
    +1

And Ringworld by Larry Niven, and The Stars My Destination...

And so many more too - love the SF Masterworks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I spent a couple of years collecting the 10x original 2001 hardbacks, 70x paperbacks and the 3x budget hardbacks that ended the original numbered masterworks series. Unfortunately, they made a mess of the series after #70 (Mockingbird) so about a year ago they "rebooted" the S.F. masterworks without any numbering, reissuing the first 10 of the original series again before continuing with mainly new titles.

Most of the paperbacks I got via amazon, aphrohead books or the book depository. The latter two were very hard to beat on price at the time. Quite a number were out of print at the time (about 5 years ago) so I had to go after them individually scouring the 3rd party retailers waiting for 2nd hand mint condition ones to become available for a good price. It was great fun tracking them down I must say.

They're a brilliant series and science fiction owes Gollancz & Orion a great debt for generating a new influx of readers to the genre and bringing some amazing out of print titles back to life and into the hands of readers who would not otherwise ever have heard of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you're in Dublin then Chapters on Parnell street usually have a good selection for €5 a go.

Hunting around you should see these on offer fairly regularly... Although I doubt you'll do better than £3 or €3 a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

I'm on the same hunt.

As already said Chapters on Parnell st is good,but the best place i found is the Oxfam shop on Parliament st.They only sell books and i discovered some of the older classics (nestled among some real pulp it has to be said) that i dont think i would have found anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Couldnt find any in Chapters but I didnt really go through the second hand stuff. Got a lot of Dresden stuff for peanuts though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

They had their own mini display stand upstairs in front of the second-hand books the last time I was in there, but I guess they could sell out now and again or whatever ... Sorry about that!

Advertisement