Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTX Trunkbag Cycling bag question

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, have a bit of an issue. I bought this today, but it's the wrong size for my bike :( in fact, it's tiny, I don't understand what bike it would fit on :confused:

25397.jpg

I think this is the one I need:

32817.jpg

I got the MTX trunkbag with it, and it's fine, but I need the other frame.

28663-1.jpg

Is there anywhere in Ireland, or Dublin I could bring this and trade it in towards the other one? I can buy it online from Here but I don't want to have the spare frame sitting here doing nothing...

Help :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Just sell it here or on adverts. A shop won't give you much (if anything) for it.

EDit: What's so small about it?? the clamp? or the platform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The height, Its no where near the frame

I can't visualise what you mean. What's not near the frame?

The legs so to speak, look at the height of the first picture and the difference in the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

The rack you bought is only meant to be attached to a seatpost - it doesn't attach to mudguard or rack eyelets at the rear dropouts.

lpb

• Advertisement

Still not sure what ur talking about. Those 'legs' aren't supposed to touch the frame. They just float in the air. The rack just clamps to the seatpost, thats the only contact point with the bike.

It fits this full sized mountain bike.

5229045174_e5790cf568.jpg

lpb

It was bought for me....

@petethedrummer: Ah, I may be an idiot then.. So it actually supports the whole weight of the bag?

Tallon wrote: »
    So it actually supports the whole weight of the bag?
    Yes. I'm not sure I'd attach it to a carbon seatpost, if that's what you have.

A regular rack would be more stable as the bags would be lower down. The lower down the weight the better. You might be able to sell it to someone whose bike doesn't have rack mounts.

Thanks guys, I'll try that later...

So the second one would be better you think?

The full rack would be better, but the first one might do the job. It also looks much quicker to put on and take off. It depends on your needs I suppose.

Are you touring or just moving clothes to and from work?

• Advertisement

The plan is to commute, I suppose I could invest in a better rack later on... It actually seems pretty rigid on, makes the bike feel very heavy too....

Looks very close to the saddle, dying to see what it's like to ride! What do you think?

8DF77749430F4D20871A15006DF416D7-0000323155-0002456695-00800L-FCF70915C9BC4D50931BCCA97CADEE70.jpg

B5E95D289027456693A794ACC73C8789-0000323155-0002456694-00800L-ED775FB756BB4DA9B8422123701287F5.jpg

If it were me, I'd pack the side bags first with the heaviest items down low. You'll probably notice the handling changes considerably (for the worse), especially when out of the saddle. I had a large seatpost mounted carradice bag that was high up and I hated the feel. Switching to a regular rack allows me to carry way more with less impact on handling. You might not notice though.

The only good thing about carrying a weight on your commute is that the bike will feel super light and stiff when you cycle unloaded at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

That looks too high for my liking.
    How do you not catch your leg in the bag when swinging over the saddle?
    I'd prefer to have a lower centre of gravity on the bags as well, stops the bike trying to tip over.
    Finally, a general observation; it appears to me that either your saddle is too low, or your bike is too big for you; the saddle-pedal distance looks very small compared to the saddle-handlebar distance. Of course you may be correctly proportioned for that setup, but it looks wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Topeak do two ranges of beam racks:

MTX = MTB
    RX = Road Bike

There doesn't seem to be much in the difference except weight, though I imagine the geometry is different. The MTX would need to be slightly higher to provide clearance for rear suspension, and so forth.

The height isn't that important tbh. You'll just have to get used to climbing on/off by throwing one leg over the top tube.

They're really commuter racks for people who use their "good" bike for commuting and don't want the hassle of removing a rack when they go out for proper spins. That's why the bags appear so small.

As pete says, try to put most of the weight in the side bags, down low.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

i'll buy the bag off you if you can do a decent price, have the rack already

Advertisement