Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get bike insurance?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

My bike just got nicked from outside my apartment at the weekend. It was old and in a bad state of repair and I was planning on getting a new road bike soon, but theres no way I'm gonna get a new bike just for it to get nicked from the same place again.

I looked at CycleSure earlier, they offered insurance for €62.50 (including theft) for a bike worth €750.

How does this compare with others? Any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

I'm insured by chill.ie. Not problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

I'm insured by chill.ie. No problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Are bikes covered by house insurance? I am getting a new bike as well and would like to be sure it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bax4556

let your ins company know,you may also need a receipt for valuation purposes

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Most household policies have quite low cover limits for bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

Having just had a new bike stolem myself, I have just renewed by contents insurance with 123.ie and included by carbon bike on it as a special addition. Basically I got the lot for €200 which included the 4k bike, a 1.5k guitar and 25k for contents. Thought that was good. Bank of Ireland tried to sell me the same thing and were askign €500.

Insurance covers theft and accidental damage, both in and away from the home. MY other bike that was stolen was 0.5 days old so I didn't get to add it to the policy in time, so I was snookered there.

If you are doing cycling on roads as well, I'd recommend you join Cycling Ireland - €50 and you are covered third party on the road, meaning that if you are at fault damaging someone elses property (such as their bike (in a race say), or hit a car), they can claim off your insurance with Cycling Ireland, rather than taking you to the cleaners.

Most house and contents policies have limits on bike insurance; some as low as €125.

Good luck:D

Advertisement