Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with neighbours pup

Options
  • 26-07-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

i have just got a 5 year old boxer and have a radio fence around my house, i have neighbours from hell but they have a small pup with no sense. i had warned them before i got my boxer axel to beware of him. their dog seems to spens all his time with axel and jumps up on him and axel tries to ignore him. i know some day he will snap though n may attack the wee pup. also when i take my dog out for a walk the pup follows us and walks in the middle of the road and passers by think that he is mine to.
    my question is can i contact a local authority to get them to tie up there pup or anything ?
    any other suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I dont think any authority would make someone tie up there dog, I hope not anyway.

Is there no talking to the neighbours? Ask them to fence the garden the dog is in maybe? Other than the danger of walking on the middle of the road, it sounds like the pup is good companionship for your own dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you fenced you property properly the pup wouldnt be able to get in to your dog;) Those radio fences arent good at all and are not recommended.

If the dog is out wandering then you can call the local dog warden, but unless its aggressive or a danger to you i cant see them doing much about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Ya not much else to add here unfortunately, talk to the neighbours about the issue and if they are unwilling to fence there own property suffeciantly you'll just have to do a better job on your own so the little bugger cant get in ;) Unfortunately in this country there are too many dog owners with little regard for there pets well beings that they let them wonder the roads free! And also little regards for other peoples property with dogs soiling/ digging gardens etc :mad: really gets to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

ak4 wrote: »
    i have just got a 5 year old boxer and have a radio fence around my house, i have neighbours from hell but they have a small pup with no sense. i had warned them before i got my boxer axel to beware of him. their dog seems to spens all his time with axel and jumps up on him and axel tries to ignore him. i know some day he will snap though n may attack the wee pup. also when i take my dog out for a walk the pup follows us and walks in the middle of the road and passers by think that he is mine to.
    my question is can i contact a local authority to get them to tie up there pup or anything ?
    any other suggestions would be great :)

It's not the poor wee pup that has no sense, it's the owners who have no sense but ultimately it'l be the pup that has to suffer the consequences (being hit by a car, attacked by another dog, kicked by a passerby, stolen, shot by a farmer for chasing livestock etc..).

Have you tried talking to your neighbours? Telling them that their dog is trespassing on your property and that your dog isin't dog friendly and may attack him? And that it is following you on walks and may end up getting hit by a car? If that fails then yes I would call the dog warden, he probably won't make them do anything but at least it might scare them into keeping him confined, preferably by a fence as being tied up is not good for dogs (can lead to aggression).

To keep him off your property you could try getting a water gun and squirting him everytime you see him. But really that pup needs to be kept on his own property before he ends up dead. :(

And just to add please reconsider those radio fences. There have been numerous threads here about them if you want to read them. It has been known for other dogs coming onto your property and attacking the dog confined by a radio fence, dogs ignoring the shock and straying off property anyways, dogs being stolen from gardens, dogs smarting up to the fact that they sit beside the fence at the point where is beeps until the battery runs out and they them walk across the fence with no shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

thanks for all your comments :)
    so say if the pup came on to our property when my dog wasnt in the best if moods and attacked him who would the responsibility be on because i know my neighbours from hell would report it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I would think if their pup comes onto your property it will be their problem......or rather their pup's problem. the difficulty you have is if any of them come in to rescue the pup and get bitten in the process then you will have a whole load of hassle, even if you are in the right.

can you not just fence the area to keep the pup out?

as regards him following you on walks I would tell them he nearly got hit by a car from following you and that you are just letting them know in case he goes missing. then if he followed me one more time I would make sure he found a better home somewhere where people actually gave a hoot about him.

Advertisement