Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identical Dog To Ours forsale on Donedeal

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

And he has the same name as our fella too! His owners dont have enought time for him... I feel SO bad for the little fella, we managed to keep our beagle with some manners and he gets plenty of mental stimulation (I think Beagles need more of this than traditional 'walks') as well as exercise... Look at his little face, Im SO tempted...

For Sale Boris:

<snip>

Our Borris:

254256_10150284604295412_652815411_9438712_1829503_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What irks me about ads like this is that they're selling the dog. It's not a car or phone that you keep for a while and sell on it's an living creature that they should have researched more before buying. Too much work involved or doesn't suit them so sell him and see if they can make their money back? Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

looks alot different to me;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

tk123 wrote: »
    What irks me about ads like this is that they're selling the dog. It's not a car or phone that you keep for a while and sell on it's an living creature that they should have researched more before buying. Too much work involved or doesn't suit them so sell him and see if they can make their money back? Grrrrrr

Do you know their personal circumstances? Did you ever think that maybe they had a change of career that doesn't allow them as much free time as they previously had? Not everyone wants to get rid of their dog but some have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

pokertalk wrote: »
    looks alot different to me;)

Ah if I showed you a few more pics you'd see what I mean, they are almost identical but Boris's snip doesnt go all the way up his nose, ours does and our Borris has one white hip. Apart from that, the eyes, head shape, ear setting, the body shape everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

makes me so sad, they probably have a genuine reason for selling but when you look at the pics he looks so happy. bet he didnt think when he was posing for them it was for his own advert :(

• Advertisement

Do you know their personal circumstances? Did you ever think that maybe they had a change of career that doesn't allow them as much free time as they previously had? Not everyone wants to get rid of their dog but some have to.

Boris needs more time and attention than we can give him.

We sell him with his stuff (dog beds, car travel mat , leads, bowls, etc. )

AS A PET TO GOOD HOME ONLY

NO PRIVATE NUMBER, NO TIME WASTERS, PLEASE!

I have an issue with the fact that they want somebody to pay them so that they can rehome their dog. People have to rehome their dogs everyday and it's heartbreaking for them and a last resort - this ad doesn't suggest that to me.

I have an issue with the fact that they want somebody to pay them so that they can rehome their dog. People have to rehome their dogs everyday and it's heartbreaking for them and a last resort - this ad doesn't suggest that to me.

So, just because they're hoping to get some money back on the goods they've purchased (dog beds, car travel mat , leads, bowls, etc. ) you brand them as bad pet owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

People gotta do what people gotta do. Id rather they try to find him a good home (Paying or not) than leave him to slowly go demented in their back garden. Make no mistake, Beagles are a LOT of work, but very rewarding.

So, just because they're hoping to get some money back on the goods they've purchased (dog beds, car travel mat , leads, bowls, etc. ) you brand them as bad pet owners?

It just doesn't seem right to me and it goes agaisnt everything I believe in. They got the dog and for whatever reason they can't keep it - their focus should be on finding the best possible home for him and having him as comfortable as possible in the tranisition with all his bits and pieces. Money should not come into in my opinion. I just wouldn't feel right taking money off somebody for providing my dog with a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would seem to me that any good pet owner would choose the best new owner for their dog, rather than the person most willing to give them cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

In a word, yes. To me that ad says 'oh, the dog needs to be walked, like EVERY DAY??? Oh we don't have time for that and he keeps going to the toilet and we keep having to feed him, honestly, it's just never ending with him'. In other words, people who got a cute puppy (if I had any money I'd wager it on the fact they bought from a puppy farm/byb) without putting any thought into the time and energy needed to look after him and now can't be arsed. I am so fed up with this and that other ad that another poster put up of someone wanting rid of their dog because 'we're getting a larger dog for breeding', I am trying hard to resist the temptation to text the woman advertising that poor dog....

It just doesn't seem right to me and it goes agaisnt everything I believe in. They got the dog and for whatever reason they can't keep it - their focus should be on finding the best possible home for him and having him as comfortable as possible in the tranisition with all his bits and pieces. Money should not come into in my opinion. I just wouldn't feel right taking money off somebody for providing my dog with a home.

Well why didn't you say so :rolleyes:
    seamus wrote: »
    It would seem to me that any good pet owner would choose the best new owner for their dog, rather than the person most willing to give them cash.

It doesn't state they are going to give it to who ever offers the most. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I'd be happy to give them the benefit of the doubt though. I just don't see any problem with getting some money back on things they've bought (excluding the dog).

People here can be so cynical about other pet owners motives. Not everyone who posts an ad on DD looking to re home their dog is a terrible, selfish pet owner who didn't research the needs/requirements for owning an animal.

Clearly I'm in the minority but if I were looking to re home either one of my dogs I'd be happy enough to take a few quid for the bits and pieces that come with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Clearly I'm in the minority but if I were looking to re home either one of my dogs I'd be happy enough to take a few quid for the bits and pieces that come with...

If I were needing to rehome one of my dogs they'd be going back to their breeder. These people seem to have started and ended the ownership of this dog badly imo.

[QUOTE

It doesn't state they are going to give it to who ever offers the most. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. .[/QUOTE]
    nobody here said that the ad stated they will give the dog to who ever offers the" most" just that the fact they are looking for money.lets just say that i could offer that dog a great home and a new happy life but the fact that i would not be willing to give them money for him means i cant, not really fair on the dog.if i was willing to get rid of any of my dog s i would not ask for money as it would cutthe chances of the ddog being re homed in half

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

pokertalk wrote: »
    [QUOTE

It doesn't state they are going to give it to who ever offers the most. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. .
    nobody here said that the ad stated they will give the dog to who ever offers the" most" just that the fact they are looking for money.lets just say that i could offer that dog a great home and a new happy life but the fact that i would not be willing to give them money for him means i cant, not really fair on the dog.if i was willing to get rid of any of my dog s i would not ask for money as it would cutthe chances of the ddog being re homed in half[/Quote]

I wouldn't automatically assume that they want the money. i know someone who sells kittens (I think she should get her cat neutered, but that is another argument). She sells them for about €20, and people do buy them. It seems that some people see a free animal and assume that it is worthless, or that there is something wrong with it. Her theory is that if people have to pay something small, they will on some level, value their pet more. She also feels that if someone pays for a kitten, they are less likely to use it to blood a dog (home check, I know).

I know that not everyone agrees with that train of thought, but it may be the case here. They may also have received advice from someone who thinks that way, or they think it will weed out time waster.

I am not defending them, but if you are able to provide this poor dog with a home, and won't consider it cos the owners are looking for money, that seems very harsh on the dog. I don't agree with giving puppy farmers, etc money but I don't think that they are doing it for profit. Surely if someone did pay for this dog, it would be ok, because it isn't feeding into a constant chain of cruelty and more dogs? You can't punish the poor dog for human stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

Agreed but i dont agree with selling a dog.
    I have a thoroughbred samoyed and he was 500 Euro as a pup.
    if my circumstances changed god forbid, i would never sell him. money means nothing. i love him and would only want the best home for him. i wouldnt except a penny.

Agreed but i dont agree with selling a dog.
    I have a thoroughbred samoyed and he was 500 Euro as a pup.
    if my circumstances changed god forbid, i would never sell him. money means nothing. i love him and would only want the best home for him. i wouldnt except a penny.

So even if you knew the dog was going to a good home and the family offered money to cover costs etc you would say no? Very noble of you.

I've a thoroughbred Newfoundland that cost €1,000 - if someone offered something my way I wouldn't say no.

So even if you knew the dog was going to a good home and the family offered money to cover costs etc you would say no? Very noble of you.

I've a thoroughbred Newfoundland that cost €1,000 - if someone offered something my way I wouldn't say no.
    well i honestly wouldnt. i would see it as selling a family member. sorry if you dont like that but its true.
    a dog is not a car to be bought and sold.
    and it isint being noble i would think most people who love their dogs wouldnt sell them on for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If I had to rehome my animals I'd request payment. It puts off the time wasters and the violent types (using the pets for blooding or feeding them to snakes etc - generally, nor specifically my adult animals) straight away.

Any kitten I capture, neuter, worm, flea, tame, vaccinate and microchip isn't going free to a good home.

The fee would be nominal and not for profit, but if you're too stingy to pay it, who's to say you wouldn't be too stingy for, say, the best petfood on the market? Too stingy to pay for the vet until a small problem has escalated?

And if you can't afford my nominal, not for profit fee, then you can't afford a pet.

I wouldnt rehome my pet to a family who were not able to afford it.
    at same time i wouldnt accept any payment if i were offered one. my dog is not a piece of property to be sold. if i was in the unfortunate situation of having to rehome him, i would find suitable experienced owner with love, time energy and cash to feed and keep vaccinations up to date etc.
    if you would sell a beloved pet on for profit or to cover your expenses then thats up to you.

• Advertisement

If I had to rehome my animals I'd request payment. It puts off the time wasters and the violent types (using the pets for blooding or feeding them to snakes etc - generally, nor specifically my adult animals) straight away.

Any kitten I capture, neuter, worm, flea, tame, vaccinate and microchip isn't going free to a good home.

The fee would be nominal and not for profit, but if you're too stingy to pay it, who's to say you wouldn't be too stingy for, say, the best petfood on the market? Too stingy to pay for the vet until a small problem has escalated?

And if you can't afford my nominal, not for profit fee, then you can't afford a pet.

Finally!

I wouldnt rehome my pet to a family who were not able to afford it.
    at same time i wouldnt accept any payment if i were offered one. my dog is not a piece of property to be sold. if i was in the unfortunate situation of having to rehome him, i would find suitable experienced owner with love, time energy and cash to feed and keep vaccinations up to date etc.
    if you would sell a beloved pet on for profit or to cover your expenses then thats up to you.

And how do you plan on finding this out? "Sorry but could I have a look at your last 6 months wage slips, thanks"

They're obviously going to tell you they have money even if they don't...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

... and that's why a responsible person rehoming a dog would carry out a home visit with all prospective new owners, and make them jump through a few hoops to establish their commitment, resources and reaction when things go awry.
    Home visits aren't foolproof, but they're a hell of a lot more effective at weeding out the undesirable homes than giving your dog to whoever's prepared to give you a few quid for them. Or to whoever says they'll "take the dog off your hands", an experession which makes me wince:rolleyes:

@ stepping stone. i think you quoted your own post and it looks like i said it think its because i butchered my post when i quoted your one:D:confused:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Sorry, first post from phone! Must work at figuring this thing out. Meant to reply, not to quote. Apologies everyone for messing up the thread.

And how do you plan on finding this out? "Sorry but could I have a look at your last 6 months wage slips, thanks"

They're obviously going to tell you they have money even if they don't...
    quite simply i would do a homecheck. and i would also make sure i could do a follow up check too. the same think most rehoming centres do

Rehoming centres charge for their animals too.

Rehoming centres charge for their animals too.
    yes they ask for a donation for the running of the centre.
    i am not a rehoming centre so i would not ask for a donation for my dog.
    my dog is a family member.
    i do not sell family members.

But see the flip side of that is that I don't understand how you don't place a value on your family member by giving them away free.

• Advertisement

But see the flip side of that is that I don't understand how you don't place a value on your family member by giving them away free.
    of course i place high value on family members sweeper. but i dont put a cash value on it.
    look if you would sell your family pet on for cash thats you own affair.
    this thread is going off topic. so i think we should just agree to disagree.

Advertisement