Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Cats family members

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a friend who thinks cats should given all the same rights within the family as kids.How mad is that ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

You cant post a comment like that in the animal section!!!:D My cat gets the same rights as anyone else (I'm sure my other half would say he gets more!!) I don't have kids but if I did he'd be just as important.

I was talking with someone recently about this. I think unless you've had a cat you can't understand how much they want to be loved; the same way a dog does. My guy is 4 and a half, he's never left me, never would. He gets very upset if I go away. He's as much part of the family as the dog is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

IMO cats are wild animals, they wont think twice about leaving if they find somewhere with nicer food and more comfortable!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well given that the Government is committed to Child-Citizens, I reckon Dogs are much more deserving.

IMO cats are wild animals, they wont think twice about leaving if they find somewhere with nicer food and more comfortable!

I don't think thats true. Most people have that opinion of cats. When my guy was outdoors he did call to the neighbours for some grub (they like their grub) but he would never have stayed with them. They form attachments the same as dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Back in the day (dark ages here) our family dog used to sleep on my brother's bed. Unfortunately she came to an untimely end and my brother was heartbroken. Spent the rest of the day crying - for whatever reason that day is the day our cat at the time decided to go in and sleep on the end of his bed where the dog had slept...

So folk who say cats are selfish etc - you know - I have little/no time for that opinion. Cats are clever and are loyal to those who show kindness and affection to them, just like any intelligent animal does.

In my house now I think I come somewhere just after the cats and the dogs in the pecking order - but you know - that is totally fine, at least I get to call the remote (most of the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The more you interact with a cat and show it affection, the more bonded it will be with you. Obviously if it's just an outdoor cat that gets a plate of food once a day and no more attention than that, it's not going to feel any strong connection to the family.

In my experience, cats can develop the most amazing bonds with their owners if the owners cultivate that relationship. Absolutely they can be members of the family. My aunt's cat Pedro has the most amazing bond with their two year old, Caoimhín. From the time Caoimhín was an infant, Pedro has curled up beside him, purring blissfully, looking into Caoimhín's face, nobbling Caoimhín's fingers and toes occasionally, and letting Caoimhín stroke him and rub him. He is amazingly tolerant when Caoimhín might tug at him too roughly every now and then. He just keeps purring and doesn't move away. It's clear he feels a bond to the little boy. It's wonderful.

Taltos wrote: »
    Back in the day (dark ages here) our family dog used to sleep on my brother's bed. Unfortunately she came to an untimely end and my brother was heartbroken. Spent the rest of the day crying - for whatever reason that day is the day our cat at the time decided to go in and sleep on the end of his bed where the dog had slept...

So folk who say cats are selfish etc - you know - I have little/no time for that opinion. Cats are clever and are loyal to those who show kindness and affection to them, just like any intelligent animal does.

In my house now I think I come somewhere just after the cats and the dogs in the pecking order - but you know - that is totally fine, at least I get to call the remote (most of the time).
    Thats a good story but maybe the cat always wanted to sleep there because he saw the dog there and once the dog was gone he saw his chance;):D Ah no i have no doubt that they are loyal to a certain extent and i no they are a very clever animal but from what iv seen they will pick up and go at the drop of a hat if it suits them! Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sweetskye

Sorry you are wrong. Cats are more independent but are as loyal and
    intelligent as a dog. Only if you have both and care about them you would know. And yes my cats are part of my family and are treated with love
    and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chrisod999

Yea but this guy wolud choose his cat above a child

sweetskye wrote: »
    intelligent as a dog. Only if you have both and care about them you would know. And yes my cats are part of my family and are treated with love
    and respect.
    WEll i think you are wrong:rolleyes:

I have my opinion based on what iv seen over the years you have yours, i dont actually think you are wrong about your cat because im sure your cat is as loyal as you say its just i think people here are sometimes too quick to tell people they are wrong. its an opinion.

See my above posts too wher i agree with another poster

• Advertisement

you trolling chris??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm convinced that if the house went on fire and my wife had a choice of three things to rescue.... the three cats would come first and I'd be left behind!

For somebody who did not like animals at all until I practically begged her to have a cat, she's become very attached to our three horrors in the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think people sometimes have some very odd notions about cats and how disloyal they are. There are a lot of myths and nonsense about them propagated by 'old wives tales'.

They're a highly social animal that usually lives in colonies in the wild so, they are very family-oriented when they are living with humans.

They communicate and interact very differently to dogs and people often interpret their behavior as aloof or self-centered when it's usually anything but.

We have a tom cat and he's an extremely affectionate animal. He gets excited when you come home, hurtles down the road meowing and rubbing up against you when you get out of the car. He can actually recognize the car's engine noise too.

If the door bell rings, he jumps up and bounds down the hall to see who it is.

He gets very weirded-out / upset if anyone's missing from the house for a few days and will start investigating where they might be e.g. sitting in their room / on their bed, meowing in the wardrobe etc to see if he can find them.

If you feed him, he will actually rub up against your arms / legs as if to actually thank you for the food before he eats.

He knows his name and quite a few other bits of vocabulary like you can tell him to "go into the kitchen". If you mention the word "dinner" he gets extremely excited.

He'll also do things like roll up on his back and expect to get his stomach rubbed and interact by playing games like fetching a small light mini-tennis ball or just playing 'attack the toy. He'll also directly interact with you playing various pouncing games that are all kinda based on play-hunting.

He'll also curl up beside you and attempt to groom your arm - gross wet-sandpaper tongue.

The only downside to his friendliness is when he's brought back gifts e.g. live field mice. Drops them at your feet and then meows kinda saying "hey! look what I brought home!!"

But, overall, I think cats, if socialized properly are really friendly.

If you never interact with your cat other than to feed him/her, then you couldn't really expect the cat to have much loyalty to you or your family. They're not stupid either :D

They just express themselves in a very different way to dogs.

Also, dogs tend to automatically bond to anyone no matter how badly they're treated as they absolutely need a pack. Whereas cats will only respond if you make an effort with them. If you ignore them, they'll ignore you. If you're nasty to them, they'll move out and give you the two fingers.

They're social, but not dependent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Solair wrote: »
    He knows his name and quite a few other bits of vocabulary like you can tell him to "go into the kitchen". If you mention the word "dinner" he gets extremely excited.

Our three will regularly come to us if we call them by name.
    However, if they're upstairs and I shout "dinner", they'll come hurtling down the stairs and start patrolling the kitchen waiting for their meal!
    The funniest one is later in the evening around 11pm. They will start doing laps of the living room until we go up to bed. Then all three will follow us up and adopt their various positions for the night. It's as if they're telling us it's time for bed! Usually one of them will then take a quick patrol of the downstairs of the house before coming back up and curling up to go asleep.

Amazing creatures. They never cease to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chrisod999

guys - all very well having a pet - I love dogs myself - but having the same rights as your children - Come on

Its so nice to hear good things being said about cats. Even on here it can be a bit negative sometimes. I heard about another kitten that was got for a child this week that needs a new home :(

Sometimes it can seem like cats are not loved here but this thread has renewed my faith!!!:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It really bugs me when people consider cats no better than pests or vermin. I'm of the opinion that you get what you give. Keep a cat outside and throw the odd scraps of food out to him now and again and of course he isin't going to feel any attachment to his home. But from my experience cats are wonderful creatures, independant but give as much love back as they receive! :D

I have a cat, she's an indoor cat, 6 years old and have her since a kitten. Every morning she's let upstairs to my bedroom (keep her downstairs at night or else I wouldn't get any sleep) and you'd swear she hadn't seen me in years, she purrs loudly in my face, she licks any available part of me and she gets so excited she drools everywhere and nudges me before curling up asleep next to me either on the duvet or underneath it.
    She's certainly my cat, has a hatred of anyone else but an unhealthy bond to me, if I go away for a few days she searches the house for me, if she hears someone in the shower she sits outside the door thinking I'm going to come out and then walks away in disapointment when someone else comes out. She follows me from room to room and always sits as close to me as possible (on me if possible :rolleyes:), as a kitten she used to sit on my shoulder as I walked around the house. If I talk to her she meows back in response! :D
    She's completely uninterested in food, she eats what she needs, give her some tasty salmon or chicken and she might eat it in a few hours if she's hungry.

Now someone tell me I own a wild animal. I put the work into her, I know her inside out, I know what all her different meows mean, I know when there's something not right with her, I know her body language well enough to know when she's not comfortable with something, I put hours and hours into researching the best foods, medicines, ailments basically anything related to her that I need to know. Now I'm sure if I threw her outside when she was a kitten, fed her some cheap scraps every now and again, gave her a rub every couple of days basically treated her like a wild animal then I'm sure she would have become one.

I laugh everytime I read this so thought I'd share!

The Pet Diaries
    Excerpts from a Dog's Diary
    8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
    9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
    9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
    10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
    12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
    1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
    3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
    5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
    7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
    8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
    11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow --but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.

For now . .

The difference between cats and dogs:

The dog looks at you and thinks to himself,
    "You feed me, you shelter me, you love me. YOU must be GOD!"

The cat looks at you and thinks to himself,
    "You feed me, you shelter me, you love me. *I* must be GOD!"

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
    - Anonymous

"I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic."
    "My husband said it was him or the cat... I miss him sometimes."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

sweetskye wrote: »
    and respect.

I've never seen a seeing eye cat. Or a bomb disposal cat, or a drugs detecting cat. You may not want to face it, but a cat is only loyal as long as food and comfort are available. You do not have a cat as part of your family, you are part of the cat's support system - you are the pet.

Now roll over and get your tummy tickled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Right now I have 2 cats (both rescue) and 2 dogs (well puppies 10mts).

The older tom cat was clearly mistreated in one of his prior homes but over the last few months he has really come on a great deal. We just need to remember not to make sudden movements towards him - also the sound of rain gear terrifies him. For the moment our chimney is still sealed off as when he gets scared he climbs it.

The younger female cat - going on 2 years acts like one of the dogs. She plays with them, rolls, chases around the garden and since seeing the dogs roll for belly rubs now does the same usually when we are carrying things. Playing with me she still uses her claws - playing with the two dogs claws are always retracted except to hold onto the tails for a spin around the room.

As per the poster above - cats absolutely are loyal - but it is not blind loyalty - you really do get out what you give back.
    To the other poster (or OP) questioning my earlier story - no - cat used to sleep on my bed, had followed me from that room years ago and up until the dog died had very little to do with my younger brother, once the dog died he concentrated on staying with my brother for the next few weeks - after that while he would come into me maybe once in a blue moon he stayed with my brother until he died a few years later.

Easy to hate guys, or even mistrust, but if you can put primal fears to one side you might just be surprised at what you find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've never seen a seeing eye cat. Or a bomb disposal cat, or a drugs detecting cat. You may not want to face it, but a cat is only loyal as long as food and comfort are available. You do not have a cat as part of your family, you are part of the cat's support system - you are the pet.

Seeing-eye cats --- eh, they tend to like to get around their territory in 3 dimensions and don't see any issue with walking up a tree or bounding over a fence in a single leap. Probably not the greatest idea as a guide-animal.

Bomb disposal cats or drug cats- Unlike dogs, they don't really have any interest in hunting by tracking smells, so that would just never work. Same would go for drugs. However, if you ever needed to find a hidden mouse / hamster in a suit case, there's no better animal :D

As for drug cats, the problem is that the cat would probably do the drugs! They can get pretty dependent on catnip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Never seen a seeing eye horse either! :D

There are therapy cats over in the uk (we have therapy dogs here not sure if any therapy cats here yet) that visit hospitals and nursing homes and bring much joy to people who are unable to have pets due to illness or nursing home rules. Now excuse me while I frantically google to find more cats with a purpose. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Far as I'm concerned, my cats and dogs are my family, I hate kids but absolutely love our furkids as the OH calls them. We have four at the moment and they have the personalities i imagine four kids would have. There's the intellectual overbearing older brother, the troublemaking younger brother with a temper, the bratty little sister and her twin; the quiet, sensible type.
    I dont understand why people dont think animals should have the same rights as we do. If they did then maybe people wouldn't treat them as badly as they do. Our latest foster is a kitten who was left in a box with her dead sibling in a carpark, those who do these things should be prosecuted but cant be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I often hear people say cats are disloyal and will go off if they get better grub somewhere else. In my life I have had 6 cats of my own and another 7 belonging to my family, and never has one gone off to live elsewhere, most died of old age (one was 22, most of the rest were over 16) 2 died young from serious illness.
    Cats make great pets and can be great fun, they can be trained to do things (one of mine will give high fives, and jump through a hula hoop).
    I think they are very misunderstood and neglected due to this idea that they are aloof and don't want you except for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cats do not relocate for food.

Cats relocate because you've let them roam outside, and the old woman in the end house not only feeds the cat, she talks to it, strokes it, has it on the couch beside her watching daytime TV, handfed it tidbits, brushed it and provided it with a special cushion on the chair beside the fire. She spends her day with it, talks to it as she goes about her business and provides it with company and affection.

The only reason your dog isn't living with her is he can't get over the fence.

Humans are the only animal that expect loyalty for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Think you hit the nail on the head there Sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Solair wrote: »
    If you ignore them, they'll ignore you. If you're nasty to them, they'll move out and give you the two fingers.

They're social, but not dependent :D

Thats why I love my cats. I would also like to add if you double your cats, you double the entertainment. My partner and I rarely watch tv any more because my gang are always playing chasing/ambushing eachoter and other cat related activities.

Last sunday my tom brought home a dead rat. yucccccccccccck! My black girly - still no kill yet - pretended it was hers and started pounding the s*it out of it. And she expected the praise for the kill - chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

I've never owned a cat but where I live there are loads of wiild cats, they pick up scraps of food from all the houses around mine but what I've noticed since living in my house which is in a small village is that I've never once seen a rat or mouse.

I've often seen them leave trophies (dead mice) near the back door and wait around for either me or my wife to throw food out to them in thanks!

God I love them Cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _mocha_

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It really bugs me when people consider cats no better than pests or vermin. I'm of the opinion that you get what you give. Keep a cat outside and throw the odd scraps of food out to him now and again and of course he isin't going to feel any attachment to his home. But from my experience cats are wonderful creatures, independant but give as much love back as they receive! :D

I have a cat, she's an indoor cat, 6 years old and have her since a kitten. Every morning she's let upstairs to my bedroom (keep her downstairs at night or else I wouldn't get any sleep) and you'd swear she hadn't seen me in years, she purrs loudly in my face, she licks any available part of me and she gets so excited she drools everywhere and nudges me before curling up asleep next to me either on the duvet or underneath it.
    She's certainly my cat, has a hatred of anyone else but an unhealthy bond to me, if I go away for a few days she searches the house for me, if she hears someone in the shower she sits outside the door thinking I'm going to come out and then walks away in disapointment when someone else comes out. She follows me from room to room and always sits as close to me as possible (on me if possible :rolleyes:), as a kitten she used to sit on my shoulder as I walked around the house. If I talk to her she meows back in response! :D
    She's completely uninterested in food, she eats what she needs, give her some tasty salmon or chicken and she might eat it in a few hours if she's hungry.

Now someone tell me I own a wild animal. I put the work into her, I know her inside out, I know what all her different meows mean, I know when there's something not right with her, I know her body language well enough to know when she's not comfortable with something, I put hours and hours into researching the best foods, medicines, ailments basically anything related to her that I need to know. Now I'm sure if I threw her outside when she was a kitten, fed her some cheap scraps every now and again, gave her a rub every couple of days basically treated her like a wild animal then I'm sure she would have become one.

I laugh everytime I read this so thought I'd share!

The Pet Diaries
    Excerpts from a Dog's Diary
    8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
    9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
    9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
    10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
    12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
    1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
    3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
    5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
    7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
    8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
    11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow --but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.

For now . .

The difference between cats and dogs:

The dog looks at you and thinks to himself,
    "You feed me, you shelter me, you love me. YOU must be GOD!"

The cat looks at you and thinks to himself,
    "You feed me, you shelter me, you love me. *I* must be GOD!"

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
    - Anonymous

"I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic."
    "My husband said it was him or the cat... I miss him sometimes."

:D

Oh my god. I actually nearly laughed myself sick. Priceless!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My cat doesn't have the same rights as the kids, he's a cat not a child. He has animal rights though : he's fed and cared for appropriately, given loads of attention, doesn't mean he can climb on the table.

He's a 7 year old indoor/outdoor cat and waits for me every evening from work by the driveway. He knows the sound of the engine too. When I step out of the car (taking care not to knock him out in the process) it's like I had been gone a week, I have to make a big deal of him and "dry his tears" with a big cuddle.
    When I walk up the road he wants to come, like a dog, but feels uncomfortable once we walk past his territory and begs (miaows) to stop and turn around... so I tend to sneak out while he's inside. When I walk back if he spotted I was gone he'll be waiting for me at the gates, then run towards me crying/miaowing out all the way :).

He's always around, independent enough at times to go on his strolls when he pleases, but if we're pottering around in the garden, he'll prefer to stay and hang around with us.
    He was there before my children were born, and shows a lot more patience for them than he does for me. He goes to sleep with them at night, then migrates to my room later.
    He won't necessarily wake up when I call him during nap time, but the second I stab the beef mince wrapper his chin pops up on the table beside me (he knows he's not allowed on the table), nap or no nap.
    He understands a lot of words and tends to immitate intonation to get what he wants, it's very easy to communicate with a cat if you try.

Like said above, give cats love and attention, and they will stay, and blossom into interesting and very social pets . Throw them scraps out the back door, they will feed and be on their way to the next feed. I would too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I love my cats :) They're my favourite pet. They're just as much a part of my family as my dogs are.

I love my dogs too but the reasons I like cats more . . . They're much more intelligent than my dogs. They have more interesting, complex personalities. They're amazing to watch when they're running around, jumping and climbing. To me they seem more affectionate, whereas my dogs always want affection from me, the cats give me affection. The sound of cats purring is awesome. Having a cat sitting on your lap is so relaxing. I love when they rub up to your face or your legs. They're less annoying than my dogs, who want attention constantly. They're easier to look after. They look nicer, I know that's not really important but I think they're really beautiful.

I think you just need to understand cats, by getting to know them or owning one. People think they're not friendly, but that's just cos a lot of cats won't be friendly to strangers, which makes sense, you have to get to know them.

Advertisement