Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on New Clubs Needed

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently gotten back into the game after about a 5 year absence and I'm loving it again! I have been out for about 4 or 5 rounds over the summer but have just been using my Dad's clubs, so I think it's time I got my own.

I already have a spare new golf bag at home that we won years ago so I'm thinking I could get clubs much cheaper if I buy my irons, woods and putter all separately without paying for a bag aswell. I also want half decent clubs and don't want another starter set as I'm shooting rounds of around 15+ now and I want to cut this down a good bit in the future.

I was thinking that second hand clubs would be the way to go and have been looking a good bit at adverts.ie but there's so many different types of clubs out there it's hard to know what I want/need! Would anyone have any advice or know of any good cheap irons? My Dad's irons are Callaway x-14s which are very nice to use but I realise I probably won't be able to afford anything as nice as them. My overall budget would be around 3 or 400 euro for the whole set. I'm based in Cork and I've heard that the pro shop on the South Douglas Road do good deals so I must check that out too!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

kmcattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have recently gotten back into the game after about a 5 year absence and I'm loving it again! I have been out for about 4 or 5 rounds over the summer but have just been using my Dad's clubs, so I think it's time I got my own.

I already have a spare new golf bag at home that we won years ago so I'm thinking I could get clubs much cheaper if I buy my irons, woods and putter all separately without paying for a bag aswell. I also want half decent clubs and don't want another starter set as I'm shooting rounds of around 15+ now and I want to cut this down a good bit in the future.

I was thinking that second hand clubs would be the way to go and have been looking a good bit at adverts.ie but there's so many different types of clubs out there it's hard to know what I want/need! Would anyone have any advice or know of any good cheap irons? My Dad's irons are Callaway x-14s which are very nice to use but I realise I probably won't be able to afford anything as nice as them. My overall budget would be around 3 or 400 euro for the whole set. I'm based in Cork and I've heard that the pro shop on the South Douglas Road do good deals so I must check that out too!

Thanks!

Try american golf in Wilton, tell them your budget and they are normally pretty good, Adverts.ie is great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

You can get a nice set of Taylormade burners, callaway diablo edge or x22's for about 320 euro brand new so would be well worth gonig that way, u have a bag, heres a beaut of a driver if it suited you you can get for 30-60 euro depending http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/golf/2369218, and ul pick up a putter and wedge for very small money too ;)

EDIT: Online golf are selling the TM Burner 09 irons and a free TM tp wedge for 307 euro delivered, id be hittin that! I have them and love them, the wedge alone is worth 90 blips

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kmcattack

Thanks very much for the advice lads! The only thing is that I use 3 and 5 woods quite a lot instead of the 3 and 4 irons and I haven't seen many deals for woods out there really. If I could get a good new set of irons like Tones69 suggested that would be great but I'd hardly get a decent driver, woods, putter and wedge for under 100euro....would I?? Unless I did some expert bargain hunting on adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Thanks very much for the advice lads! The only thing is that I use 3 and 5 woods quite a lot instead of the 3 and 4 irons and I haven't seen many deals for woods out there really. If I could get a good new set of irons like Tones69 suggested that would be great but I'd hardly get a decent driver, woods, putter and wedge for under 100euro....would I?? Unless I did some expert bargain hunting on adverts!

I would be looking for 17, 20, 22 or 24 degree hybrid clubs if I were you. Easier to hit then 3 woods and 5 woods off the deck. I have a 17 and a 21 and I use them all the time.

Ya I've never used hybrids to be honest but they do seem quite nice to hit having watched friends use them. I have always found my 3 wood a nice alternative to the driver off the tee and can get a good bit of distance with it too. I might look around for a hybrid and a 3 wood thanks

• Advertisement

If you go for the burner set i just talked about ul get a free taylormade 52 or 54 wedge dude, you will get a good second hand driver for 30-60 euro, prob get a free putter off someone here ha, pick up a 3 or 4 hybrid or 3 or 5 wood somewhere for very very little money too

EDIT: This is a good deal too by the looks of it. Good driver and wedges included too, might even pick the lot of for 250-270
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/golf/2375204

the lawman wrote: »
    I would be looking for 17, 20, 22 or 24 degree hybrid clubs if I were you. Easier to hit then 3 woods and 5 woods off the deck. I have a 17 and a 21 and I use them all the time.

+1, i love my 3 Hybrid, she eats the green stuff up :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    EDIT: This is a good deal too by the looks of it. Good driver and wedges included too, might even pick the lot of for 250-270

Sweet thanks for that link I like the look of that deal!

Tones69 wrote: »

[url] http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/golf/2379360 [/url] What do ye think of this deal?? Looks good minus the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

You could try Nevada Bobs, usually give you a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

this might be good for you :):)

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/steelhead-x-14-irons/irons-bb-x14,default,pd.html

Ive bought stuff froim them before ( drivers) and they have been exactly as described, plus your getting them from the manufacturer !!

anyways, good luck with your hunting

cheers

Advertisement