Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hymer / Ducato battery problems

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I put a new engine battery in our Hymer campervan last March - its built on a 2002 Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD. Everything was ok at the start but recently the campervan has been a little sluggish to start. It was nothing of any significance and I put it down to listening to CDs on the stereo when parked up and occasionally using a DC-AC converter in the cigarette-lighter to charge batteries.

I drove from Dublin to Wexford on Friday evening, I only moved a few hundred yards on Saturday, and then on Sunday the engine wouldn't turn over and had to be jumped off a friend's car. I drove back to Dubln (no stops) and when I was parked up I turned off the engine and tried turning it back on again - again it wouldn't start.

I reckoned the problem was with the alternator, so I put the battery on charge yesterday. With the engine turned off I get a 12.4V reading with a multimeter, and this goes up to 13.3V with the engine running. This shows that the alternator is doing something, but does anyone have any idea whether this is sufficient? I just listened to CDs on the stereo on the journey back on Sunday. Alternatively, any suggestions as to what might be draining the battery?

Thanks in advance

kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The alternator may be increasing the voltage yes, but unless its capable of turfing out a load of amps with it, its not going to charge the battery. Get an auto electrician to test the alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

13.3 is low . They normally run 14.0-14.4 at tickover. Check the earth straps , directly under the battery on the chassis leg , and where the lead continues on to the starter motor housing/bell housing . Also the red lead from the Alternator .

Advertisement