Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Question & Holes in left Chainstay

Options
  • 26-07-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering should I have received any tools or documentation with a new Felt Z6 I just bought? It was the last one and already assembled in the shop on display.

I was wondering because I found a couple of holes in the underside of the left chainstay, they are about 1.5 inches apart and towards the pedals. Does anyone know what these are for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

Could you post some pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Speed holes. Makes it go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

32yg wrote: »
    Could you post some pictures?

will snap some later on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You typically should receive documentation with a new bike, though it's usually hit-and-miss with LBSs. Especially if it's been sitting out on the floor, the manual often ends up in the bin.

Can you post pictures? I would say it's for cable routing, but there are no cables down the left hand side chain stay and the Z6 has external cable routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Holes in the frame. Quite normal if ita a steel/Aluminium frame i would think. (Vent holes from the frame welding process during manufacture)

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Holes in the frame. Quite normal if ita a steel/Aluminium frame i would think. (Vent holes from the frame welding process during manufacture)

It's a carbon fibre frame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Normal in any frame as it allows water/condensation to escape from the inside of the frame. As 07Lapierre says, if it's a welded or braised frame, it's to allow the expansion of gasses used in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Almost all bikes have holes to let water out, it is normal. It is a criticism of the few that don't that if water gets in you have to take the seatpost out and hang the bike upside down for a while.

So here are the holes I was talking about, there is threads inside them that look like you can screw something into them

picture.php?albumid=1790&pictureid=10169

picture.php?albumid=1790&pictureid=10170

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Speed holes. Makes it go faster.

Nah it's to make it whistle - no whistle, not going fast enough, try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

attach a cadence meter

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stevieob wrote: »
    So here are the holes I was talking about

I was hoping that was an intentional joke, but it looks like you just screwed up the image tags somehow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Shimano Di2 battery attachment point?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jiffybag wrote: »

Yeah, but who is going to put Di2 in a Z6?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »

Wouldn't put it past you to do such a thing.... :)

Lumen wrote: »

Not me anyway, would this not be on the wrong side anyway?

I can't find a cadence meter with screws that would fit here

Surely there must be other bikes that have something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

My guess would be termites.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

It's OBVIOUSLY for a side/kick stand,every bike needs one of those;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jiffybag wrote: »
    We have a winner. The Z1 and Z2 come fitted with Di2 as standard (according to some article I've found), and since the frames are all the same in the Z series, they all have the mount.

Strange though that there wouldn't be placeholders in the frame. Maybe find some low-profile bolts to stick in there to stop the holes from getting rusty and gunged up.

Advertisement