Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bierhalle, Cork

Options
  • 26-07-2011 10:48am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Bierhaus has just acquired the former Hardwood restaurant next door and will be opening it as a Bull-and-Castle-style beerhall, hopefully in early September.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that sounds great! thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i used to be a regular.. but haven't been there in an age
    must make a few more return trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm so glad it's less than a minute's walk from my house. Interesting times ahead! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Great stuff. Now, somebody should buy a buildling in Limerick and do the same thing. It's crying out for a Bierhalle. :(

BUMP
    Any more info on when this is opening? I passed by on my way home from the abbots ale house on Sunday and there's no sign of any activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Looking like the end of October, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

anyone have an update on this ? i might be out for the pre-christmas beers would be great if it was open then

They seem to be full steam ahead at the moment so I'd say it will definitely be open before Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just announced: doors open 5pm, Wednesday December 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is this going to be a permament thing? Sounds smashing :)

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Is this going to be a permament thing?
    I doubt he put four months' work into it to make it temporary.

It opens 2 days before my graduation ceremony. Can I possibly enjoy the place enough and recover in time to get my parchment?

Only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Sarky wrote: »
    It opens 2 days before my graduation ceremony. Can I possibly enjoy the place enough and recover in time to get my parchment?

Only time will tell.

Them parchment thingies are overrated mine is sitting in a glass frame in my folks house gathering dust I say drive on and indulge, that beer wont drink itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Had a peek in as I walked past today, it's basically hardwood with a new entrance to Uncle Pete's. Unless they're going to do a ton of work in the next few days I had envisioned it being quite different.

Had a peek in as I walked past today, it's basically hardwood with a new entrance to Uncle Pete's. Unless they're going to do a ton of work in the next few days I had envisioned it being quite different.

The table tops will be pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You've just gotta love the connection to Uncle Pete's. The pizza aromas from that place are just too good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must pay this place a visit when it opens

Had me a wee get together in the Bierhalle just there. Couple of "it's my first day" errors, like forgetting knives/forks, delays with food not cooked by Uncle Pete's. All of these problems were deftly resolved with the application of a couple of drinks on the house.

Those niggles aside, the food was really quite good. I like how the menu recommends a beer with each dish. Friendly staff. Beer as good as one might expect of the Bierhaus. Reasonable prices. Slightly more restaurant than pub, so animated but easily heard banter.

I'll definitely come back. Nice work. Maybe not somewhere to stay all night unless you book for a party, but certainly a good way to start off the night. And of course the Bierhaus is next door if you want more pub...

Just back from there myself too, nice food, great beer. Bit of a wait for the food(fantastic chicken), but that was down to it being the first night and we got a free round of drinks so who cares :D
    It's a great set up in there and I'll be going there again for sure.

Went last night too.
    It is a restaurant, not a bar so no going in for pints without food but lots of inexpensive nibbles on the menu and pizza from next door.
    We had 2 mains (Irish Stew and plain burger with home made chips) a pint of Howling Gale and a glass of decent wine for under €28. Can't argue with that really. No problems with service so we got no free drinks:(
    The place looks well and there is a good stripped down Bierhaus beer menu, a good handful of wines and a few by the glass.
    Good place for inexpensive eats with good beer in nice casual surroundings.

• Advertisement

Good place for inexpensive eats with good beer in nice casual surroundings.
    Desperately needed in Cork, IMO. Sounds great.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Desperately needed in Cork, IMO.

So true.

I've come back tonight for graduation meal with parents.

They've sorted out the food delays from night 1, and I've just finished the most amazing salted beef sandwich. The chips are bloody brilliant.

Gonna try out the dessert menu in a few minutes, but unless they actually sh*t on a plate then this place gets my full approval, and my parent's lack of disapproval, which is much the same thing.

EDIT: Holy crap, the cheesecake is huge and damn tasty, and the stout float is genius. Messy as hell, but genius all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rina120

I post this review in hopes that they may correct a few issues.
    I was really looking forward to visiting this place, but I must say i was disappointed. It's nothing that can't be fixed, and I'd be willing to try it again, but I wouldn't order what I ordered again.

We decided to go with a few starters for the evening. First we ordered Nachos and salsa and the ribs, both with the beer pairing.

The ribs were decent enough, but the nachos and salsa? The salsa had mince in it and had a middle eastern taste to it with chick peas. It wasn't what we were expecting, and there were a small number of nachos served with it, many of them crushed.

Then we ordered the chips with cheese and chili and an order of buffalo wings.
    The "chili" was the same "salsa" that came with the nachos and salsa. I can only presume that the "chili" was the same as their "mexican chili" on the menu. This "chili" had chickpeas in it and had more of a middle eastern flavor to it. The actual chips were yummy and would have been best ordered plain.

The biggest disappointment of the night were the wings. They were heavily breaded and weren't crispy as all. The sauce was tasty enough, but the chicken was soggy with this thick coating of batter. please, please lose the batter!! I have never left a buffalo wing on a plate, but neither of us really wanted to finish these.

We did have dessert and it was actually pretty darn tasty. I was dreaming about that brownie the next day.

Great concept, great place, great decor, great ambience...but I tasted no chili powder or other mexican flavors in the chili...the salsa was not salsa (it was their chili), ..and the wings...very disappointing. I do hope they make a few tweaks because I would love it to be a great place to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viks26

What's the latest on this place? Are they still going strong? Livingsocial deal up there today for 2 burgers and a pitcher for €16...

Viks26 wrote: »
    What's the latest on this place? Are they still going strong? Livingsocial deal up there today for 2 burgers and a pitcher for €16...

Worth a punt, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I was in there last week for pre-beerfest brunch. My first time being there, and no complaints from me. It was about 12.30 and there were a few people in there. The brunch menu was pretty broad, and I had steak and eggs for about a tenner. Tea/coffee was complimentary, and they weren't shy about topping it up. No complaints about the staff or food, and I would go back again, no problem.
    Hopefully any issues on this thread are just normal teething problems and they're settling down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

a few of us from the Cork City forum went there Monday night for dinner. Nice food and really friendly helpful staff.
    I'm definitely going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

the living social deal is a superb bargin...burgers are savage...beer is savage...win-win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I ate here a couple of weeks back. Yum yum yum - must go again. Very reasonably priced too!

Advertisement