Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Weight Classes

Options
  • 26-07-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi All,

I am looking to compete by the end of the year. Does anyone the different weight classes in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Hi Steven,

Are you a member of a club at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi Steven,

Are you a member of a club at present?

Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Good - you should be a in a club before you consider it - many will argue that Im sure but its just my advice

Here is a breakdown:

Bantamweight - Upper weght limit 135 lb
    Featherweight - Upper weght limit 145 lb
    Lightweight - Upper weght limit 155 lb
    Welterweight - Upper weght limit 170 lb
    Middleweight - Upper weght limit 185 lb
    Light Heavyweight - Upper weght limit 205 lb
    Heavyweight - No upper weight limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

There are also the MMA league (which might be more suitable depending on your experience) weight classes, which are every five kilos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 steven.blanc

Thanks lads, I joined Lucan a few months ago but have missed the last 9 weeks due to an op. On the subject of Lucan cant rate them high enough even for an old guy like me, I have taken up mma at 25, you couldnt do that in boxing, great club, great trainers and great bunch of lads.

I went back to the gym last night and did boxing training with Tamu (Georgian Olympian) last night for the first time in three months and cant feel my arms or shoulders today and that was only a light session of six rounds of pads....:eek:.

I have put on 7kgs of flab in 9 weeks, I weighed myself 89.5kgs :mad:, good old perscription steroids, trying to get fit again wont be fun!

My aims are to get fit and learn to grapple. If I get fit enough to fight before the end of the year, bonus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

or an old guy like me, I have taken up mma at 25

Ha ha, old guy me arse! I was 33 with a rebuilt knee when I took up MMA and Judo and I'm still doing it in Husaria in Clane... its not ideal but i think i will keep going for a few years yet!

If you are looking to cut a few pounds you could try this diet... i dropped about 10kg in 6 weeks doing it with training:

Breakfast: porridge and 2 eggs and protien shake (also take cod liver oil, glucostamine & multi vits)
    11am: chicken breast or similar amount of lean meat with 50g of brown rice
    2pm: as above
    5pm: chicken breast or similar amount of lean meat with green veg
    8pm: as above
    10pm: 6 egg omlette (only use 2 egg yolks) protein shake

On days where im training i condense it and will have some porridge or a banana about 4pm (when im training at 6).

I have kind of modified the diet on training days to take in more carbs as I was finding myself quite tired but this diet really works.

Thanks for the tips, That was my next q. How many times a week do you train?? From looking at your diet, I see I dont eat enough.

Sept 09 to Spring 11 after a 3 year fitness gap, I went from 104kgs to 83kg and 26% body fat to 12%, yet my body fat went higher about 15% before I got sick at that time I was training about 8times a week. Guess I was not eating enough, so in theory my muscles beacame lunch...nice.

This morning was 4 weetabix and water/tea. Pasta at lunch. Porridge at 3/4 and dinner, fish, rice and peas for dinner. So although eating healthy I probably dont eat right...what do you think?

I used to train a lot playing football but i smashed my knee so I went from hero to zero overnight and i put a lot of weight on - also started doing weight training as I couldn't really do much cardio so i ended up putting on about 20 kilo's in both fat and muscle.

Nowadays I train about 5 times a week:
    • Monday playing 1 hour of high tempo football (cardio),
    • Tuesdays MMA - 2 hours cardio plus I stay back and do some strength and conditioning
    • Wednesdays Judo - 2 hours cardio plus I stay back and do some strength and conditioning
    • Thursday - MMA - 2 hours cardio plus I stay back and do some strength and conditioning
    • Friday - break
    • Saturday - going to start doing open Mat or else I will go for a 3 hour walk
    • Sunday break

In regards to eating, its about what works for you. I always ate sensibly but i couldn't shift much of the weight eating 3 meals a day. Since i started eating regularly, it seems to be shifting. I know it looks like a lot to eat but its not. I basically now make a big pot with about 6 chicken breasts, broccoli, asparagus, peas, baby corn, peppers, onions and 1 cup of uncooked brown rice - this will last about 2 -3 days during training as I will eat at 11am, 1pm and 4pm then I will generally have eggs when i get home after.

Personally I think porridge is a must especially with eggs as they leave you feeling full for a couple of hours which is a good start to the day. Brown rice/ brown pasta also keep you full plus you should drink a lot of water. Fish is great but i find it quite light and it doesn't satisfy me. Also, I was never a fan of protein but my mate who is big into lifting and owns a nutrition shop put me onto whey protien and its great - im not bulking up and its definitely making my muscle leaner which in turn is burning fat. Im also taking L-carnatine which helps you body break up fat and use it.

Suppose what i find is that you need to cut the **** out, eat small and regularly, drink lots of water, stay off the drink and try to limit the amount of refined carbohydrates (such as bread, white rice, white pasta).

This is what works for me but its about taking the idea and working out what is best for you. Hope this helps!

Thanks a mill, really helps. Will look into doing, now can I convince the misses to cook 6 Chicken fillets for me...pigs may fly first! How many protein shakes should I take per day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Thanks lads, I joined Lucan a few months ago but have missed the last 9 weeks due to an op. On the subject of Lucan cant rate them high enough even for an old guy like me, I have taken up mma at 25, you couldnt do that in boxing, great club, great trainers and great bunch of lads.

I went back to the gym last night and did boxing training with Tamu (Georgian Olympian) last night for the first time in three months and cant feel my arms or shoulders today and that was only a light session of six rounds of pads....:eek:.

I have put on 7kgs of flab in 9 weeks, I weighed myself 89.5kgs :mad:, good old perscription steroids, trying to get fit again wont be fun!

My aims are to get fit and learn to grapple. If I get fit enough to fight before the end of the year, bonus!!

Are you the Gym Spyicon7.gif

Great review

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Heavyweight - No upper weight limit

Should be 265lbs imo

How many protein shakes should I take per day?

Depends, the stuff I'm taking says you can take 3 x 300ml servings but i just go with 1 in the morning (300ml if I have been training the night before, 200ml if I haven't) and 1 x 300ml in the evening straight after training or about an hour before my last feed if I'm not training. Im just being cautions as the last time i took protein I became massive (about 48" chest) and I don't want to do that... in saying that I think the protein I was taking back then was also a gainer so taking that with doing huge weights was a recipe to become the hulk!

Best to talk to a nutritionist or go into a proper supplement shop and talk to someone about what you are looking for... I'm not looking to build muscle but maintain what I have and make it leaner so therefore my supplements will vary from yours, if your goals are different.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Depends, the stuff I'm taking says you can take 3 x 300ml servings but i just go with 1 in the morning (300ml if I have been training the night before, 200ml if I haven't) and 1 x 300ml in the evening straight after training or about an hour before my last feed if I'm not training.
    What protein supp are you taking that it comes in liquid form? 300mls, 20mls etc
    Im just being cautions as the last time i took protein I became massive (about 48" chest) and I don't want to do that... in saying that I think the protein I was taking back then was also a gainer so taking that with doing huge weights was a recipe to become the hulk!
    Protein, includign gainers (which are just protein and sugar) are jsut food.
    If you were taking a lot of these you'd get big, just like if you ate lots of chicken and steak.
    But there is nothing special in them that makes you big.

Mellor wrote: »
    What protein supp are you taking that it comes in liquid form? 300mls, 20mls etc

Its not in liquid form, its powder and its 1 scoop to 100ml of water. I was just saying that when I train I will take 300ml (3 scoops) and when I don't I take 200ml (2 scoops).
    Protein, includign gainers (which are just protein and sugar) are jsut food. If you were taking a lot of these you'd get big, just like if you ate lots of chicken and steak. But there is nothing special in them that makes you big.

Well the proof is in the pudding, I didn't change my training regime or diet and just started taking a protein builder and I became massive - it was a Tony Quinn product and from looking online it's not just sugar and protein; there is creatine, branch-chain amino acids and chromium.

I always ate a lot of protein but I never put on muscle as quickly as when i took the builder. I'm not a nutritionist, nor have I claimed to be, my post is based on personal experience so I don't know the ins-and-outs of it all, hence why I said to talk to a professional. I'm taking pure whey protein now and I'm not putting on massive amounts of muscle and its helping me to tone up, so obviously that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

You should aim to take at least 1gram of protien per pound of bodyweight, so if like myself you are around 185lbs you need to be getting at least this much in protein into your body if you are training hard.

To get this much protien through food alone would be pretty hard so its always good to take a good quality supplement ( optimum nutrition gold standerd, iso sensation) 2 very good supps.

Ideally you should be taking 25grams 30-40 mins before training and within 15mins after your hard session. Then about an hour and a half after training you should eat a good balanced meal with protein, good carbs ( wholegrain rice, pasta, sweet potato ect) and a small amount of good fats (avacado, good quality oil, udos oil, which can also be added to your protein shake during the day.)

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well the proof is in the pudding, I didn't change my training regime or diet and just started taking a protein builder and I became massive

The protein shakes where a direct change to your diet!

you added calories which you could have done in real food form, Chicken, Fish, Beans, Eggs etc

Also Tony Quinn :o

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

The protein shakes where a direct change to your diet!

Yeah I know and that was my original point! When I started taking the protein builder I became massive. Obviously with hindsight it was the wrong supplement but it put me off taking protein supplements for years as I didn't want those kind of results. I was uneducated about what I should and should not take and only through talking with my mate did I find out something about the differences. I was just making Steven aware that there are different products on the market and to consult a professional to find out what is right for him.
    Also Tony Quinn

Yeah, i know now. I just went in a bought something which wasn't what I needed based on the recommendation of the staff member and I should have consulted a proper professional... I have learned from this.
    You should aim to take at least 1gram of protien per pound of bodyweight, so if like myself you are around 185lbs you need to be getting at least this much in protein into your body if you are training hard.

To get this much protien through food alone would be pretty hard so its always good to take a good quality supplement ( optimum nutrition gold standerd, iso sensation) 2 very good supps.

Ideally you should be taking 25grams 30-40 mins before training and within 15mins after your hard session. Then about an hour and a half after training you should eat a good balanced meal with protein, good carbs ( wholegrain rice, pasta, sweet potato ect) and a small amount of good fats (avacado, good quality oil, udos oil, which can also be added to your protein shake during the day.)

I hope this helps.

Yeah it does help, im about 215lbs, I was about 250lbs around Christmas but I have cut out heavy lifting, incorporated more cardio and resistance training - my muscle is leaner and im losing a lot of fat. Im looking to cut down to around 200lbs which would be probably my optimum weight.

Im still trying to get my head around the food thing as since i started having smaller, regular meals I am losing weight better than with 3 meals a day. I have cut out all the **** and a colleague who regularly cuts weight for bodybuilding comps put me on the diet listed above. This worked great but I was finding it really hard to train as I wasn't getting enough carbs. I have modified it so that im still eating small, very healthy meals with both proteins, vegetables and carbs but I don't think Im fully eating correctly as I don't eat much after training and I try to stay away from carbs late on. I don't take protein before training but i do after.

Would this be a better routine?
    • Breakfast: Porridge and 2 x eggs, Protein (3 x 30gm scoops with 300ml water).
    • 11: Chicken, brown rice, mixed veggies stir fry - about 3 tablespoons.
    • 1.30: as above
    • 4pm: as above with iso plus with L-carnatine (2 tablespoons with 250ml water)
    • 5.20: Protein (optimum nutrition gold standard) - 1 scoop (30gm with 100ml water)
    • Training 6 - 8pm
    • 8.15: Protein (3 x 30gm scoops with 300ml water)
    • 9pm: Meal consisting of protein, good carbs & veg

That would mean Im taking 210gm of protein over the day.

Apologies to the original poster for hijacking the thread.

You should scrap that diet mate, its not ideal by any means. I know its pretty tough to get everything down to a T because its hard in everyday life to eat consistintly every 2.5-3 hours but here is a small template you can work off. You need good healty fats in your deit which you have nout off in the above.

Before you get up out of bed try drink a pint of water

8.30 porridge made with water and a handfull of berries ( strawberries are cheap now and in season, blueberries ) 50 grams of whey protein with a good multi vitiman

11.00 A handfull of nuts ( Almonds, Haselnuts, Brazil, Walnuts ect ) and an apple

1.30 A tin of Salmon with a couple of slices of wholemeal bread and mixed veg

4.00 Pre training meal Wholegrain rice or pasta with a turkey breast and some nice mixed veg.

5.45 25 grams of whey and a small bannana.

6.30 training

8.45 25 grams of whey with some fast acting carb sourse a good scoop of organic honey.

10.15 an old body builders fav is low fat cottage cheese with some more mixed veg.

Thanks 00benski, will give that a shot.

• Advertisement

Its not in liquid form, its powder and its 1 scoop to 100ml of water. I was just saying that when I train I will take 300ml (3 scoops) and when I don't I take 200ml (2 scoops).
    You should prob refer to it in protein grams, the the amount of liquid isn't important.

Well the proof is in the pudding, I didn't change my training regime or diet and just started taking a protein builder and I became massive - it was a Tony Quinn product and from looking online it's not just sugar and protein; there is creatine, branch-chain amino acids and chromium.
    As mentioned, adding protein is changing your diet. So there is no proof here, you just didn't fully understand what you were doing. Adding protein shakes , would of been the same as addign chicken. for reference, for every scoop of protein you added, was prob equal to 100g of chicken. You added 7 scoops on training days, 700g of chicken. It's no wonder you got bigger.

As for it not beign just protein and sugars and having those "others" you listed;
    BCAAs are a form of protein, to simplify it, you body converts protein into BCAAs to various processes. Some people taking BCAAs directly to speed up growth. Others argue that its pointless as its expensive and it happens anyway.
    Creatine is common, was probab tiny amounts and this will help draw water into muscles.
    I have no clue why the chromium was there, there's apparently no biological role established, and the daily requirement is tiny, you'll get enough from your diet. It's most likely there to sound like the mass builder will give you muscles of steel. Again to echo Cowserp, Tony Quinn :o

OK, just want to clear this up as you seem to misunderstand the entire point of my post.

My original point:
    Im just being cautions as the last time i took protein I became massive (about 48" chest) and I don't want to do that... in saying that I think the protein I was taking back then was also a gainer so taking that with doing huge weights was a recipe to become the hulk!

Best to talk to a nutritionist or go into a proper supplement shop and talk to someone about what you are looking for... I'm not looking to build muscle but maintain what I have and make it leaner so therefore my supplements will vary from yours, if your goals are different.
    As mentioned, adding protein is changing your diet. So there is no proof here

Right, I originally said that I started getting bigger when I took the protein builder, obviously that's a change to my diet if you want to nit-pick. When I mentioned previously that there was no change to my diet I assumed that it was clear that I added Protein (seeing as I wrote it down) and as I didn't talk about changing any other aspect of my diet I assumed that it was clear therefore that the only thing I added was the Protein supplement, and that was what increased my muscle mass... the protein was the only change to my diet and therefore was directly responsible for the increase in muscle mass. I was just trying to make a point to the poster that he should consult a professional before just taking a protein supplement, which I obviously didn't do the first time around.

Funnily enough I am taking pure whey protein now, about 2 times the amount that I was taking back then, and I have not exploded in size so therefore I refer to my original point that he should consult a professional to make sure he gets the right supplement. I don't believe that pure whey protein is the same as a protein builder that also includes BCAA's & Creatine and im pretty sure that other people share the view otherwise there would be just protein supplements and not Builders/ Gainers etc.
    You added 7 scoops on training days, 700g of chicken. It's no wonder you got bigger.

No, I didn't. I am taking 5 to 6 scoops NOW, back then I was only taking 2 scoops once a day, straight after training, I never said that I was taking 7 scoops back then?
    Protein, includign gainers (which are just protein and sugar) are jsut food.
    If you were taking a lot of these you'd get big, just like if you ate lots of chicken and steak. But there is nothing special in them that makes you big.

Im not saying that there is some magic muscle powder in them but protein supplements contain protein which assists in making you big so therefore there is something in the supplement and the different supplements vary in what they have and how effective they are - If all supplements were the same why do people say one is better than the other? The very definition of 'supplement' is something that completes or enhances. My entire point was that the poster should consult a professional as there are different supplements out there and they should be able to guide him to get what is right for what he is trying to achieve.

I have been the first to admit that I made a mistake back then and that the poster should consult a professional so I don't get why my posts are being dissected and nit-picked. Yes, you know about protein and supplements - well done... Yes, I should never have gone to Tony Quinn... Yes, I should refer to protein in grams and not ml.

And finally YES, I have never had a more pointless argument.

Once again, I apologise to the original poster for hijacking the thread.

Not a highjack at all delighted with the posts. :pac: You all have given great insight into diet, which I am working on and have answered qs I was afraid to ask.

When I was in my best shape, I played Rugby, was a sprinter and did weights. My own meals were cereal 7am, sandwich 11 am, full dinner 1pm, (Homemade fruit smoothy with creatine and amino acids) 4pm, dinner 6-7 pm, shake 8pm.

I wish I kept this up but this was through School and College, 3 year lay off, daughter and work means this is no longer possible. I went from 14 stone 8% bodyfat training at least 10 sessions per week, to 16 stone with 25% bodyfat over a few years layoff. I am now back down to 88kg and am trying to get fit after a stomach op, fingers crossed, I am looking to gain lean muscle!

I personally had most success using creatine and amino acids in homemade smoothies rather than full protein or weight gainers. I found I had more energy and had leaner muscle than when taking protein shakes alone.

I as you are am sceptical of protein shakes but have decided to try them for six weeks and will moniter results.

What Amino acids were you taking? I have been looking at possible taking L-Carnatine as I have heard its good for helping to burn fat and I seem to have a very slow metabolism.

Put it this way, I eat good foot and would generally eat about the same as my wife who is half my weight and whilst she would walk about 2 or 3 days and one day playing tag, I would do 4 serious 2 hour MMA/Judo/Football sessions and I still have excess fat on my stomach that I cannot seem to shift.

Back in college when i played football 6 times a week I took L-ornathine and that was my fittest and weighed about 13.5 stone. Im not sure if there is a direct correlation to the amino acid and weight loss but its interesting that you have the same view. Perhaps I need to take this as my body might not be making enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What Amino acids were you taking? I have been looking at possible taking L-Carnatine as I have heard its good for helping to burn fat and I seem to have a very slow metabolism.

Put it this way, I eat good foot and would generally eat about the same as my wife who is half my weight and whilst she would walk about 2 or 3 days and one day playing tag, I would do 4 serious 2 hour MMA/Judo/Football sessions and I still have excess fat on my stomach that I cannot seem to shift.

Back in college when i played football 6 times a week I took L-ornathine and that was my fittest and weighed about 13.5 stone. Im not sure if there is a direct correlation to the amino acid and weight loss but its interesting that you have the same view. Perhaps I need to take this as my body might not be making enough.

Not saying taking L carnitine wont help but it will be neglible, just clean out your diet of sugars and starches and eat small and regular so you dont get too hungry-train more of possible and make adjustments if your lsoing too much or too little weight..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not saying taking L carnitine wont help but it will be neglible, just clean out your diet of sugars and starches and eat small and regular so you dont get too hungry-train more of possible and make adjustments if your lsoing too much or too little weight..

Well said cowzerp, The only supps you need guys are a good quality whey protien and a good multi vit, and the protein you dont even need if you have a very very good diet but the majority of us have not the time nor the money to be eating meals 7 times a day.

Forget about the rest of the stuff and keep your money for a months mma gym membership

RoboRat, i'm not trying to argue you with you.
    It's nothing got to do with being right and wrong, I couldn't care less tbh.
    But your original post had some common misconceptions, I was trying to clear them up for you (and for the OP) to help you.
    Funnily enough I am taking pure whey protein now, about 2 times the amount that I was taking back then, and I have not exploded in size so therefore I refer to my original point that he should consult a professional to make sure he gets the right supplement. I don't believe that pure whey protein is the same as a protein builder that also includes BCAA's & Creatine and im pretty sure that other people share the view otherwise there would be just protein supplements and not Builders/ Gainers etc.
    I never said they were the same. I said a builder is just whey and carbs (carbs = calories = size). They can all really be reduced to their basic components, all minor extras like BCAAs, herbal extracts, etc can be ignored. The whole industry is built on lies and marketing, that's why these products exist.
    Creatine is different, but it you want it, buy it in pure form, not mixed in with your protein shake. Your wallet will thank you ;)
    if all supplements were the same why do people say one is better than the other?
    Because a lot of people are misinformed, and fall for the marketing. Different goals will require different supps. But I would guess that in almost all cases, the best option (especially considering price) is taking plain old whey (like you are doing now) and adding one or two others in plain form if bulking. The cost saving is massive, and you end up with virtually the same stuff.

As mentioned above, I'm not saying buying isolated BCAAs will do nothing, its just that the effect is tiny. Your time and money is better spend else where. Above all, if you aren't seeing the results you want, its not because you are missing a single BCAA.

OP, if you've any question on diet fire, but you seam to have the right idea above.

Thanks for the posts:
    Kept a food diary yesterday, what do you think?

Breakfast 8am: Porridge with milk and sugar.
    11am Bean Salad, mixed beans, (Free From) Pasta small bowl. Protein Shake 30 grams
    13.30 Bean Pasta Salad and Spanish Omlette (Small Portion)
    16.00 Protein Bar
    Training two hours
    19.00 Chicken, Veg, Potatoe
    21.00 Toast

Any suggestions?

Advertisement