Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom of the ladder...

Options
  • 26-07-2011 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hey, I have just completed my leaving cert and am awaiting results and all the rest... Basically, I know i want to be involved in the psychology field for sure and have put 'all my eggs in the one basket', regarding the CAO.

But, after reading a thread on the guy who want to give up on the career, i am ****ting it to be honest. All 10 of my CAO choices are psychology related and now I am really worried about the whole psychology field in Ireland, like job prospects, getting into post-grad programmes etc.

I basically just want a bit of encouragement and some personal experiences from people in the know. I was under no illusions how difficult the whole system can be and I researched well before committing myself on the CAO but im just worried about it now.

If anyone can offer some words of encouragement/advice, it would be great.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

It's never the best idea to put all your eggs in one basket, I made this mistake myself, but it's not the end of the world. There are so many disciplines within psychology that you should find some aspect that interests you.

In my experience, most people who want to continue with their education in psychology want to get into clinical, and it's extremely competitive, but there are many other fields you can get into - neuropsychology, health psychology, CBT, human resources, education to name a few.

You can also do conversion courses if you're interested in jumping field. In Trinity you can do an M.Sc in neuroscience or bioengineering, or a H.Dip in stats with a psychology degree, as far as I know.

Don't be discouraged, there are plenty of opportunities out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I did the same thing myself last year. Got into AP106 in UCC. It's interesting if not quite as enthralling as I'd hoped. I'm sure that is just due to the fact that Psychology is an extremely broad discipline so first year is very general. I've seen enough to make me believe that I made the correct choice though. If psychology is the only thing you can see yourself doing, go for it! Screw the difficulty you will more than likely face when trying to find employment. If you work hard an opportunity should present itself at some stage, and then its up to you to seize it. You may have to broaden your horizons though and be open to the possibility of continuing your education/working abroad.

Advertisement