Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a border collie

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I need advice
    Long story short best mate got new job in Cork which is a live in position and she cannot bring the dog with her and her parents are not able to mind it
    Dog is 14 months old, female, neutered, microchipped, seems ok around kids needs loads of exercise has never had any interaction with cats

I have a 7 month old & a 9 year old at home & an EXTREMELY protective/possessive neutered tom cat

She lives in the sticks and brings the dog for walks off lead in the fields where apparently it chases rabbits until its tired out

I live in suburbia with an average sized enclosed garden

What do ye think? Can i manage it if i adopt?

I should clarify that I have no experience with this breed but tonnes of experience with JRT's and my in laws have a husky pup who thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread :D:D

The alternative to my adoption are as follows:
    A) the mate doesn't take the job
    B) her parents hang on to the dog until someone is found to adopt her but they won't be able to exercise her at all really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I'm on my 2nd collie cross (collie is the much more dominant breed in this one! - I think setter is the cross and that only came out in her ears and tail! haha)

I too live in suburbia with a medium-ish sized garden, a lot bigger than some gardens - but its still small over all. So it certainly is possible - you'll just need to spend LOTS and LOTS of time with the collie out and about - my girl gets an hour walk in the morning (Mommys got work to do!) then when I'm finished in the afternoon she gets a few hours at the beach or in the park - where I'm just launching balls over and over for her until she literally wont chase them anymore then we walk home. And she usually gets another hour walk later at night just before bed if she's interested - if she's been swimming that day at the beach, love, money nor promises of walkies will shift her from her bed!

Collies love to run and run, and with their high prey drive - love to chase things - so your first investment would be a ball launcher! And with your suburban garden size - just make sure you have somewhere local you can bring the dog to let it off lead (responsibly!) and let it run out its crazies (least that's what I say about mine!)

And you have kids - so they'll love the collie energy and the collie will love their energy! Imagine the silence of your house after everyone has tired everyone else out! It sounds good!

Regarding the cat - my cat wasn't a big fan of collies at first and he too can be a bit moody and grouchy! They get along great now - the pup has tendencies to want to herd the cat who doesn't want to be herded! ;) But she knows to stop now when we say "leave him" (pup is girl, cat is boy) and she'll mope over to her bed and hop in with the "oooh but I NEED to herd him" look on her face - sometimes the cat will go over and start to play with her - then all games are good if the cat's willing its ok by me - and when he's had enough he'll go upstairs (pup's not allowed up on her own, she's guilty of sock chewing!) and have his peace and quiet. So its certainly possible to live with a cat and a collie - it'll just take training them both and just giving it all a bit of time to settle in. I've found it best to not step in every time that they have an interaction - some things you just need to let them work out themselves - I mainly step in if things are getting serious - or the cat lets out his battle cry! ;)

I'd be happy to waffle on about this forever! So I'll wind it up here and now - if you want more info or opinions feel free to PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have a collie and to be honest, I know I wouldn't be able to give her the time and attention she needs with a baby to care for too. My collie is not the workaholic some collies can be, but she still needs lots of activity, lots of exercise and ways to use her brain. They get very antsy if they have nothing to do and giving them walks every day is only a small part of the equation towards keeping them sane. Chucking tennis balls for them really isn't the answer as it actually winds them up. Lots of walks won't help them chill out either - my collie can come with me for a five mile hike through the hills and she'll still show no signs of fatigue when we get back. She always watches me like a hawk, alert to any indication I might be leaving the house, because she loves a bit of action more than anything. For some owners, that can be exhausting.

On the upside they are very gentle, affectionate dogs. If however this particular dog has not been around kids much before the likelihood is she won't be very tolerant of them. My own lady is gentle as a lamb but definitely does not like kids - she shuns them completely and if they approach her she backs away. Collies are also very sound-sensitive and can be easily spooked so a busy home with the clamour of kids coming and going may not suit her.

I know you shouldn't generalise about any breed, but I'm always slow to recommend a collie as a pet for a busy young family. Have a read of the section "Is A Collie Right For Me?" on this excellent UK site:

http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk/start.html

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

My experience with my collie cross is different again. Shes brilliant with children, but like all dogs you still have to keep an eye on them with kids anyway. Why dont you bring your kids around and see how they react to her. Let your kids act like normal, well the little one might not do much but you wont know how she will react to her tail being pulled unless someone tries it and if theres kids around guaranteed someone will pull it!!! (im not recommending you put your child in any danger though, be careful and make sure and watch the dogs body language)

She, like the above dogs, loves her walks but also if I just leave her off to run around it doesnt tire her out. Making her work seems to do the best job. If i take her for a walk and let her pull me around the place at a fast pace and then release her in a field for a run around she chases anything she can, launches herself at other dogs and by the time we get home im wrecked yet she has a funny look in her eye and is always slightly demented and does not seem happy. If i keep her to heel for the whole walk (2 a day) and take her on weekly treats to the beach or a nearby lake she seems the happiest. Shes always calm and relaxed at home and sleeps loads.

I guess im just saying to go meet the dog, introduce the kids and if they all get on and your 9 yearold agrees to walk him and share the responsability then why not go for it? or maybe do a trial before your friend takes the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have a collie cross but shes more collie than anything, shes great with kids, if kids get too rough or annoying she has learned just to walk away i just explain to the kids if she walks away to leave her alone and she will come back later to play again.
    Very intelligent dogs ,loves to play fetch or any games where you hide things from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on this one. I have a 9 year old collie who I've had sine he was 8 weeks old. my brother was 9 when we got him and he got so much out of having this dog as part of the family growing up. We live in an average semi detached with a pretty average garden in the suburbs.

Like all the rest of the collies mentioned above he loves his walks, and likes nothing better than to run after me on a bike for hours on end!

Collies are extremely intelligent dogs and my experience is that they can be easily taught how to behave appropriately in any living situation, including one which involves children. As for the collie in question not being a pup, my fella is still learning new tricks etc. at 9 so I think they can learn at any age.

However you need to know that everyone in your household will be consistent with the dog, and allow it to have a routine, and learn what's appropriate behaviour and what's not. As well as teaching the dog to live with your family, you will also need to spend time teaching your children to live with the dog!

I don't agree with the myth that collies make bad pets, but I do think they make VERY time consuming ones. Once they know what's expected of them they will usually strive to do just that, however they must have a very clearly defined set of expectations that they can aspire to! this process of teaching them the rules can last for a while though!

Essentially what I'm saying (in a very long winded way!) is that you need to think long and hard, but don't be put off by the high energy and intelligence levels of the breed. just think carefully about whether you and your family can give a collie the structure, routine and exercise it needs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement