Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling pace

Options
  • 25-07-2011 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

what's a good time for 13km:)

a few hills thrown in

i do it just under 30minutes

i know i'm no armstrong -but just wondering how i compare to the masses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

"Everything is learned by comparison".

If old guys are leaving you behind - not good
    If you are passing young guys - good.

My guess is 22 kph on a mix of hills and flat is acceptable. The average should be for an out and back course, starting and finishing in the same place imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

start and finish is my house:)

it's a solo run

so mostly cars passing me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

it really is like "how long is a piece of string" because you would ride this

route-histogram-570184.jpg

at a different speed than this

route-histogram-570144.jpg

However, all things being equal, I think any ride over 25kmph is a grand pace!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

However fast you go, there's always scope to go faster;)

If it currently takes 30 minutes, try and do it in 29. Once you can do that, re-set your target to 28. Targetting incremental improvements is great motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

hmmm

better get the stopwatch out so:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Which is why the Howth hill climb is so popular,as everyone knows where the start and finish is,so easy to time yourself and then compare to others who post on here,plus to the results from the Dublin Wheelers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

13Km in 30 mins is 26Kmh so that sounds good to me for a hilly route. I don't know what level you're at or what you're aiming for so it's all relative.
    You could try timing it and then get the time down or repeat it and try and beat the time on the second and third laps.
    My average over 2-3 hours is around 29Kmh and I've only been riding since Feb and I'm happy with that (although it could be better), but then I'm 44 and 14.5 stones so I'm not going to be setting any records

Advertisement