Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undulating clouds over Donegal this morning 25/7/11

Options
  • 25-07-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

CLouds over Glenties, Co.Donegal this morning. Any description of what they are / causes etc?

5975093288_813a68ab22.jpg

5975095676_3c87b5c01e.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

muckish wrote: »
    CLouds over Glenties, Co.Donegal this morning. Any description of what they are / causes etc?

I'd say they are Altostratus Undulatus Opacus (As Un Op) although they seem quite low based. The undulations in the 1st picture seem to part of a separate layer with may possibly be isolated patches Stratus Undulatus (St Un) although my sense of perspective was never the best!

Undulations in clouds are caused by wind shear at the level in which they are occuring. Wind shear basically wind that is moving either in slightly different directions at different levels in the atmosphere or the same direction but at different speeds. The latter is more likely I think to have caused the 'billowing' or 'roll' effect of the clouds in this case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'd say they are Altostratus Undulatus Opacus (As Un Op) although they seem quite low based. The undulations in the 1st picture seem to part of a separate layer with may possibly be isolated patches Stratus Undulatus (St Un) although my sense of perspective was never the best!

Undulations in clouds are caused by wind shear at the level in which they are occuring. Wind shear basically wind that is moving either in slightly different directions at different levels in the atmosphere or the same direction but at different speeds. The latter is more likely I think to have caused the 'billowing' or 'roll' effect of the clouds in this case :)

A little bit more shear and BOOM ! , one of the most rare clouds ... Kelvin-Helmholtz Clouds!... still a great shot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A little bit more shear and BOOM ! , one of the most rare clouds ... Kelvin-Helmholtz Clouds!... still a great shot though!

Caught the KH clouds last year!
    5332808094_443f6c28b7.jpg

to me it looks like 2 sets of KH waves in the image above in opposite directions. Beautiful sight. Seen over Lifford. Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

SAw these on Tuesday 2nd August over Redcastle, Donegal. By the time I had pulled over and got the camera out of the boot they had disintegrated to this state but they were distinctive KH cloud wave structure.

6009631647_4be06a7fba.jpg

Advertisement