Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding my birth cert

Options
  • 25-07-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have all my non identifiable info for the last few years!! Didnt realise I could go further and try find my original birth cert until I checked this recently!! The usual story I suppose adopted 38 yrs by a great couple... have always wondered as I suppose we all do..I know abit about my birth mum and have been told I have 3 siblings...Can anyone tell me where the gro is have 2 different addresses , what do you ask for when you go to the desk..?? Is there a separate book for adoptions etc suppose im nervous as well!! Would so love my original birth cert !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Enda63

the GRO office you are looking for is in the Irish Life Centre, Abbey Street, Dublin 2. have a look at the Adoption Ireland Trace Guides that are on this forum, they go through the process step by step. give a shout if you need a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moihugs

Thanks for that, will have a look at the trace guides hope to go to GRO later in week. Suppose im worried in case I ask the wrong question and they throw me out..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biscuitsumm

Hi Moihugs I don't know if this will be any help but here i go: Adopted 31 yrs ago have had a fantastic upbringing and family life:D Anyways 4 yrs ago when building my house I needed a Birth cert so into St Camillus in Limerick and filled out the form (didn't relise I could only get an adoption cert). Very nice lady came out and called me into a room. Politely informed me I couldn't see my birth cert because I was adopted:rolleyes: Told them I had already traced and it was my birth cert from my adoption I was after. So basically what I'm saying is that the birth cert is sealed they won't allow you to view any details on it even thought I had traced and I could tell them the names on it. If its details you are after I found the Social Worker in the adoption department(HSE) excellent, don't know if thats what your after but hope it might help

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is very interesting.
    I found what I think is my birth cert and they gave it to me no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, the records room in the irish life mall have all the births deaths and marriges they ar all open records anyone can veiw them.
    u will need to ask for the books for ur birthyear, their could be 3 books. go through them looking for a baby born on ur birthdate, if u have the name ur birthmum called u and where u where born, this will be easy enough, another give away is the fathers name will not be recorded and the mother surname will be the same as urs. when u find it u can always go to lombard street and get ur long form birthcert thats what i did. kathy

• Advertisement

Hi Biscuitsumm & Moihugs,

birth certs are not sealed in Ireland, they are a public record, open for all to see, the trick is to know how to use the records. what they will tell you in the GRO is that they can't find it for you, if you have the surname you just need to apply for the cert but not mention that you were adopted cos the adoption certs are in a different book

Enda

Thanks for all that everyone your all a great help, excited about going up now so hope find something have birth mums first name, my name given at birth hospital I was born in...Thanks for mentioning enda that I shouldnt mention being adopted.!!Will let youse know how I get on!!!

Hi everybody just thought Id update you on how I got on and ask for a little more advice. Went to the general resistrars office, there are 3 books for my yr -nothing in the 1st nothing in the 2nd when I was going through the 3 was starting to wonder if I existed at all lol and there it was, ordered the copy of it and all the names etc matched the info I already had! Still went through the rest though just in case. So to anybody thinking of looking ,do it its a daunting task but when you see the books first but its great, I now have my name at birth.
    Next thing I did was look for my birth mothers entry as i knew what age she was meant to be at my birth! Checked 2 yrs either side of it as well there are 2 entries in the entire country for her name , one the age I was told one 2 yrs older and of course the 2 have to be only few miles away from each other!! Both in the area that i was told she was from.
    I think Ive a bit more data that might be of some use to me- I was told she was married with children before my birth(they had temperary split and I was result of fling during this time) have her husbands first name. Now Im heading in to gro to look for marriage cert. On my birth entry it says her maiden name and surname the same no formelly but am starting to think that maybe she put her married name down and I havent her birth entry at all!!! because I have her second name though I could look under her full name getting married or if I cant get it there I could put her second name with his first!! Hope this is understandable!! Is it possible that its her married name or am I being silly here.. Thanks M

Moihugs,

if she had children before you it might be easier to track them if the surname is fairly unusual, and then look for the marriage and her birth because her maiden name would be on their birth certs. there would also be the address of where they lived as a family. Its just a thought.

Yeah thought of that Enda but its more her first name thats unusual so might be harder do u think? Plus how do I precede not knowing if this is her married name or maiden!!!So much easier if the enteries were in 2 dif parts of the country!! I was told Enda that I was given part of her name but both enteries match I have one womans second name as my second name and the others second name as my first but in the irish version!!!Maybe just a general check of all the options....!!(should be fun) but getting addictive now. have to find out bit more....

• Advertisement

O great fun!! I would probably have a look at a few kids birth certs with the surname you have as their surname and as their mother's maiden name, see if you can find one with the same first name or see if you can find a marriage with the surname you have. If there's anything I can do to help give me a shout. it gets totally addictive......so much so I went and got a diploma in genealogy & family history!!!

Advertisement