Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a good and cheap first car

Options
  • 25-07-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have recdently passed my Full Irish licence exam and would like to buy a nice economic well kept and cheap first car that won't let me down. I give preference to cars from 2003 and above with no more than 100 000 kms, immediate viewing and sale around the Dublin or Westmeath area.
    <SNIP>

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey Sammy,

Congrats on passing the test first of all.

However, this isn't really a "wanted" section where you can put up your number and expect people to come to you with their ads.

However you're more than welcome to ask advice on what car would be a good buy given your criteria. It would be a good idea to give us an idea of your budget though.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpebble

Hi Sammy,

I would recommend 1 litre Volkswagen Polos. I have one and its great. if you can get your hands on one they are a great little car! Really good on fuel and if you take care of em are very reliable.

Good luck in your search and congrats on passing your test!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sammysantos13

Thank you so much for your sugestion, although, my budget cannot go further than 2000 Euros at this point, and it is very hard to find a car registered between 2004 and 2011 for this price and in good condition with NCT passed, and relatively low mileage. Eg.. under 80 000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have no idea what these cars are like but it seems to tick your boxes. Trying to find a car 04 and up on 2k when you are limited by engine size is really hard. CityRover

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why have you restricted yourself to cars no older than 2004? At your budget you'll end up with something that's either ****e, or it's just knackered. 2000 to 2003 would be more realistic. Remember its not how old a car is that counts, it's the condition and history that matters the most.

City Rover....no just NO!

A 1.25 fiesta is ideal. Plenty around, reliable and cheap. What more could you ask for?l?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

That City Rover looks like a tata indica in disguise

http://www.autoinfoz.com/car-exterior-photo-gallery/tata/Tata_Indigo_V_Series/Exterior-Photo-305.html

If it had the same chasis as the ones built for India then it would stand up to the Irish roads:D
    There is buckets of room in the inside of them tata's.

But still, stay clear.......otherwise you will loose the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Civic 1.3

Cheap tax.
    Insurance is low as well
    Good on petrol
    and above all. Reliable

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2381924

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Would you not consider going for a slightly older car, maybe 00 or 01? You would get an overall better car for your money, only difference being a car over 10 years will have an nct every year instead of every 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I have no idea what these cars are like but it seems to tick your boxes. Trying to find a car 04 and up on 2k when you are limited by engine size is really hard. CityRover

The first part of your post is sound advice. However the CityRover doesn't deserve to be inflicted on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

vectra wrote: »
    Civic 1.3

Insurance is low as well
    That statement is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Those Civics are heavily loaded by insurance companies these days because of the bad rep they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fruglo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

that panda's a bargain!

Indeed. Those Civics are heavily loaded by insurance companies these days because of the bad rep they have.

You both obviously know this from experience??

You both obviously know this from experience??

What experience do i need? Tried getting quotes on them and was shocked at the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I was looking at getting something jap and the difference in insurance quotes between the Vtec and the regular 1.4 is shocking. IMO 1.4 is cheap, was quoted e630 fully comp, thats 4 year NCB and early 20s with full clean license. Cant even get quoted on Vtecs.

and the vtec is your only lad!

shblob wrote: »
    and the vtec is your only lad!

Not if you are only starting off.

What experience do i need? Tried getting quotes on them and was shocked at the prices?

Experience of getting quotes on a 1.3 civic of course :D

Hands up. Made a mistake; i was talking vtec!

• Advertisement

Computer says no.

9h3lzm.png
    Civic quote for a weedy 75hp engine - €2,050

2v2up3p.png
    Yaris quote on a 69hp VVTI engine - €1,250

€800 for 6 extra hp? I don't think so.

Examples used a 21 year old male with a licence for 1 year and 1 year NCB.

Computer says no.

9h3lzm.png

2v2up3p.png

Seeing as ou compared a Civic 1.3 to a Yourar$e 1.0
    Go ahead and compare the civic to a 1.6

Seeing as ou compared a Civic 1.3 to a Yourar$e 1.0
    Go ahead and compare the civic to a 1.6
    agreed you cant compare a civic and a yaris.
    also theres no point getting fully comp insurance when you're starting off, go 3rd party to build up your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Computer says no.

9h3lzm.png

2v2up3p.png

:eek:your getting it pretty bad on the insurance! Thats a complete rip off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Civic 1.3

Cheap tax.
    Insurance is low as well
    Good on petrol
    and above all. Reliable

:mad: are you serious? i thought that insurence was sky high account of the "SPORTS" engine in them??? , im a BIT confused now:mad: :confused::confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Advertisement