Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice when company is sinking fast?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Im in a weird situation. The place I'm working is going down the tubes and people are looking to jump ship. Even one of the top managers said we were a dead man walking!

My problem is that I am still on probation after being here just 6 months and the company can let me go with only 1 weeks notice but it says in my contract I have to give 1 months notice. I am actively looking for something else and want to go once I have found something. I dont want to be held to 1 months notice to try and help steer things around, which is an impossible task at this stage. Can I just insist on 1 week as Im still on probation?

Thanks for any advice or any one whose been in a similar sitation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

An unbalanced notice period while on probation isn't uncommon and a month isn't an unreasonable notice period. You could just walk but you'd never get a reference from them and might get bad mouthed.

Another thing I'd suggest is that if your work involves claiming expenses make sure that you're not owed much by the company as you'll lose every cent of it if they go bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think that if you are on probation that you should be able to give 2 weeks notice if you want to leave this job. If any comment is made say it is in your contract that they have to give you a weeks notice.
    I knew someone in a similar position to you - she know the company was going down the tubes and went to speak to her boss about things in general to be told everything is fine.
    She knew this was not the case so she got another job. Within 2 months the previous company was gone out of business.
    If you get a new job why should stay for a month in a sinking ship and being able to start after 2 weeks notice could help get you a new job.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

He is obliged to serve whatever notice he signed up to in his contract, probation or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 workingman39

thanks all for the advice.

As was mentioned above, the issue is that I know things are going down the tubes but management are in denial and I know they will insist on the months notice. I know I signed the contract so am obliged to respect this but feel a little misled about circumstances within the organisation.

If I resign and give a weeks notice, what's the worst that can happen? I have no expenses due and if I lose a week or 2 of pay I dont care. I also dont care about references from this crowd.

Even if the company goes bust leaving you with unpaid wages, notice you'll be able to make a claim to the Social Insurance Fund via the Receiver/Liquidator. It takes a while and is subject to certain limits but you'll eventually get some money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Any new company will expect you to work notice -If you do not it will raise eyebrows
    Ireland is a small place and walking out without giving your notice could have consequences down the road

As Bandana boy points out Ireland's an incredibly small place and you do need to be mindful of this if you chose to move on suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 workingman39

Thanks all - lesson learned. Read the contract! Seems very unfair that as the place is tanking they are going to hold me to 1 months notice when they can dump me at 1 weeks notice.

Advertisement