Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems house training kittens

Options
  • 25-07-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Last week, I adopted 2 gorgeous little male kittens. First thing I did was buy a litter tray which I placed just inside the front door. They copped onto it and started using it fine. After 2 days they seemed to be well enough settled so i started to let them go outside. I moved their feeding dish and litter tray out to the shed (just across from the front door) and they seemed to adjust fine to it. However, they began soiling the house while inside, even though the front door is wide open all day for them to come and go. They also soil at night time, even though we physically take them out to the litter tray last thing at night. I can kind of understand them doing it at night when they have nowhere else to go but I can't fathom them doing it during the day when they can freely go outside, especially when they DO use the tray when they are roaming around the yard. I've tried the 'get out' spray to repel them from going inside but it hasn't worked and ive also tried chastising (with the spray bottle ofwearer method) I don't want to ban them from the house but I'm sick to death of cleaning their mess!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

How old are they? Young kittens should not be left free to roam outside.

They may not be comfortable using the litter tray out in the shed as it may not feel safe to them. Going to the toilet is a vulnerable time for a cat and they need to feel that nothing will jump out at them or attack them while they are at it. It is unrealistic to expect them to understand that they are not to go to the toilet at night. Either bring the litter tray back into the house at night or put them in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Kittens are no different to puppies or young children, when they gotta go they gotta go, they have small bladders so therefore go more often so if you don't want accidents in the house then you just have to provide them with somewhere to go at all times and you have to make it quick and easy for them to get there. Why would they trek all the way through the house to outside where it's cold and raining to go to the toilet when they've got a nice warm soft duvet beside them to go on.

Provide another litter tray or two inside your house, at least until their older and able to hold it in longer, one upstairs and one downstairs. Anything they pee on wash it thoroughly as if they still get the scent of pee on it they will still view it as a suitable litter tray. After manic play sessions, meals and drinks of water put them in their litter tray.

How old are these kittens? Are they vaccinated or neutered yet?

Forgot to add that trays should be in quiet areas of the house preferably in a quiet corner. They don't like using their tray in a main corridor with everybody watching them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It sounds like they have too much space and it's confusing them. Usually you'd start off with kittens in the kitchen and the litter box in there, and slowly expand where you let them go.
    They won't understand why you're spraying them, you'll just freak them out and make them hide to pee even more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

thanks guys ill try picking up a second litter tray for when theyre inside :) theyre 10 weeks old now and have been vaccinated. theyre comfortable enough sleeping, eating and using the tray in the shed, its locked and has a small catflap shaped hole in its wall thats perfect for them to come and go. i wouldnt be comfortable enough to let them out at night yet in case they go roaming and get caught by a badger or something. guess ill just have to persevere!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

They really shouldn't be left outside at all at this age, they are much too young. I wouldn't be inclined to leave them out until they are neautered in another few months. But definitely bring the litter tray back inside and yes they should have one each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement