Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird of prey id needed?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,while on a cycle yesterday a large bird of prey flew across the road about 20ft above and to the front of me,i think i startled it as i was freewheelin at the time,the bird had a redish tag on its left wing and looked about twice the size of a pigeon,there was no other bird near it so i had nothing for comparsion but it was large,i stopped and watched as it flew across a field and into a bunch of trees,it seemed to be a darkish brown allover id say,i dont know what birds are tagged in ireland but hopfully the tag might help with the id of the bird,the sighting was in the ladysbridge area of cork,regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

The only birds I know that are wing tagged are Red kites, White-tailed eagles and possibly harriers

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

thanks for the reply,its not the kite anyway,i just had a google there the colours are wrong,i will be on a cycle again this evening and will keep an eye out for it,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

The Golden Eagle Trust have tagged Buzzards in Cork this summer. (N Cork (Kildorrery, Doneraile, Ballyclough) and E Cork (Middleton-Ballymacoda)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774?sk=wall

Check out July 15 and June 18.

whyulittle,had a look online and it could be a buzzard although the one i saw was a lot darker than what i see online but the area(ballymacoda)would suggest its more than likely a buzzard,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Very possible it is hen harrier. Colours tell site it was tagged...

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/WingtaggedHenHarriers/tabid/480/Default.aspx

All birds tagged in 2007 have a red tag on their left wing, while the colour of the tag on the right wing identifies where the bird has come from, as follows: Slieve Aughties (black); West Clare (green); North Kerry (red); Ballyhouras (yellow).

• Advertisement

thanks jmkennedyie,i was hoping the colour of the tag would help with the id,it would make sense to have a colour code for the different types of birds,regards

Advertisement