Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was anyone @ Ashford Dog Show yesterday??

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Have to say it was a great day & very well organised - great turnout...

However was a little miffed leaving - we brought my 10mth old Retreiver down who was looking great & so so well behaved - we did 4 classes, best puppy over 6mths, Junior Handler ( my LO is 4 & was brilliant ), Fancy Dress & Best Rescue dog - did not get placed in Anything.... lots of people were saying how they were shocked that he wasnt ( complete strangers - not friends :) )

Now yes were were doing for a bit of fun but left feeling a bit sorry for my little girl who did a great job & she was by far the youngest person handling at dog at the show..

So , what do these judges look for as I though our Retreiver was fantastic...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh Marley thats such a pity. How many were placed in each class and how many were in each class?

Usually they try and spread the places around when its only a fun one and that was a bit unfair not to even give your daughter a place in even one of the classes?

Was it the same judge for all the classes? If so they should have seen your daughter in all the classes and given her something.

Hope you all had fun though which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

There were 3 placed in every class... 2 judges, so would have seen her in all the classes ... even if they had given her a rosette for effort or something along those lines it would have been something - she was very upset leaving so I am heading out to try to buy a rosette for her myself...

I wouldn't mind if the dog wasn't well behaved etc but he was perfect , walked well, stood well etc...

Ah well will give another one a go in a couple of wks maybe with different judges - tbh there were alot of dogs there who the judges just didnt seem to like or be drawn towards..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah thats a pity then. But maybe try and explain to your little one thats its more the fun in taking part and you wont always win but you always take the best dog home:) Im sure the dog had a lovely time with you all and yur daughter sounds great.
    Would you take her along to a big dog show sometime? Im sure she would love it by the sounds of it. She wouldnt be able to take part but she would get to see loads of dogs and all different breeds that she wouldnt normally see.

She fully understands that you don't always win ( she horse rides so would be used to the show scene ) It was because so many people were saying to her she was great & they were shocked that she wasnt placed & should have got something.... anyhow will get her along to another one & maybe bring the Pugalier with us aswell ( maybe the "cuteness factor" may have more "judge appeal "
    Defo going to bring her to a bigger show, she loved meeting all the diff dogs & chatting to the owners..

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Ah thats such a shame Marley especially after what you went through trying to find a show for her. Sure she'll do fantastic next time. any chance of a pic of the 2 of them at the show?

• Advertisement

Will try to get one up later on... she definately wants to do another one - think she has been bitten by the "dog show" bug... Well at the end of the day she is a winner in my eyes:) 4yrs old & had full control of a fairly large retreiver...

Advertisement