Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervelo S2

Options
  • 24-07-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've been offered a 2010 Cervelo S3 frameset for 900 sterling. It seems to be in excellent condition, judging by the pics that i have received. I'm just looking for feedback on the frame from anyone who may have owned one. Also, is this a good price for same? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Is it an S2 or S3? They are different framesets.

And what year? There hasn't been too much changes over the last few years but the latest one has different cable routing I heard.

Regarding the price, its a carbon fibre frame and the warranty doesn't transfer. The S series are known to be robust however so unless they've crashed it (and even then) it'll probably be fine. They are great bikes. I've an S2 with 12000km on it. Still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭baldshaunieb

Thanks for that, its definetly an S2. It was purchased in July 2010, so is a year old, and for the last 5 months it has been in storage. It's a size 54, so ideal size for me - as regards the price, what do you think of that? He was looking for £1200, but when i offered £900 (didn't expect a response!), he went for it. Did I offer too much or have i happened onto a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As Ryaner says, there's no warranty. So it really comes down to how comfortable you are buying a €1000 frame that'll be junk if it cracks.

I would want to inspect it very closely, in person, but since you're talking sterling prices that's presumably not possible.

Second hand goods bought privately are not covered by any consumer protection law, so it's caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Is it "worringly" cheap? A quick glance a eBay would seem to indicate that it should be a fair bit more expensive - maybe you're just getting a great deal but .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Well as you've offered and he has accepted then I guess that you really ought to go through with it unless there are certain conditions which have not been met. However, if I were currently looking at a carbon build I'd probably go for the Planet X Nanolight frameset as it's just £699 at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for the comments. I've been in contact with him again and asked a number of questions, esp as the price seems such a bargain. The sale seems genuine, and I have also said as I can't view it in person that the sale might not go ahead if there are any other reasons for such a bargain price eg crashed etc. I also have asked for a phone number to have a chat, its a bit more personable than emails. I'll post here again sometime tonight, let anyone who is curious how i get on. Yeah the nanolight is also in my thoughts too, almost bought it at the weekend - then spotted the cervelo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'd question why they had it 5 months and kept it in storage. I would expect some Cervelo frames to come around cheap over the next few months as people try to upgrade to the new S5 but not overly so, and definitely not ones in storage.

Many thanks to all for your comments. The answers I got were very vague and have decided not to go ahead, wish i was in the UK though, would love to go and have a look at it, satisfy my curiousity!

Advertisement