Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please for a novice

Options
  • 24-07-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just looking for advice because it is my first time brewing. I started fermentation process about 3.5 weeks ago and the beer still seems to be fermenting and not ready for bottling. The beer is a Coopers Canadian blonde. The temperature has been constant at 20/21 degrees but for the last number of days, the hydrometer has been constant at 1.125 when I understand that 1.08 is the optimum reading for bottling. There are still bubbles coming through the airlock from the brew. Is this normal?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dockfive wrote: »
    the hydrometer has been constant at 1.125 when I understand that 1.08 is the optimum reading for bottling.
    Those numbers are way off. Do you mean it's 1.012 when you were expecting 1.008? 1.012 is a reasonable finishing gravity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Thanks, at that gravity will the beer be quite strong?

Also what would happen if I leave the beer fermenting in the tank for another 3 weeks, I am going on holidays today.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

at that gravity will the beer be quite strong?
    Well it depends on the starting gravity. You can put both numbers into this to find out.
    what would happen if I leave the beer fermenting in the tank for another 3 weeks
    It'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 qazxsw1

Also what would happen if I leave the beer fermenting in the tank for another 3 weeks, I am going on holidays today.

Cheers

It should definitely be finished fermenting by the time you return and as carbon dioxide is heavier than air there should be a nice protective layer of CO2 sitting between the beer and the lid, protecting from interacting with oxygen. Should be ready to bottle on your return.

Advertisement