Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandman - Gaiman - good compilation?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help me - I've only ever managed to read a couple of graphic novels (Watchmen and V for Vendetta, before the films were released :)) and I feel I need to read a bit more.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good compilation or starting point in Gaiman's Sandman series, which I'm led to believe is one of the best of the genre? I've a voucher for Amazon.co.uk, so any pointers would be appreciated. And are there any other graphic novels I should be considering? I loved the Sin City film too, but haven't read any of the novels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm almost jealous of you that you have all the Sandman books ahead of you :)

It comes in either a set of 10 compilations or the Sandman Absolute Editions. The Absolute editions would be more collectors items (hardback, weigh eleventy tonnes each, higher quality pics & extra content) whereas the compilations are paperback & readable on the bus without having to take up a whole double seat to yourself.

The compilations are numbered & they go

Preludes & Nocturnes
    The Dolls House
    Dream Country
    Seasons of Mist
    A Game of You
    Fables & Reflections
    Brief Lives
    Worlds End
    The Kindly Ones
    The Wake

Then there are some extras like 'Death, the high cost of living', 'endless nights' etc. etc.

You don't necessarily have to read them in order as some of the stories aren't (on the surface anyway) connected with the overall story arc but I definitely would stick to them in order the first time :)

(oh, and once your amazon voucher runs out the bookdepository.co.uk would be a great place to get them for cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I agree with everything MissFlitworth said, but I'd add that the writing in the first volume isn't as strong as everything that comes after. He really finds his feet as a writer on about the sixth story, though.

Advertisement