Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army/FCA cloth insignia-value?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello, I recently bought a collection of Irish Army military items. The badges and metal insignia shown were part of the larger collection and while this type of militaria isn't really my thing (too modern!) they came as part of the larger collection. I've identified some of the badges in the collection, the questions I'd be grateful for help with are there any "nice" badges in the lot, and is this lot worth anything?
    Thanks for your help!

Comments

Fair bit there from the 20th Batt, I hadn't seen the A and B company flash,in that style or the purple D coy, "an Piarsach". The other red D coy are hard to come by and look in good nick, nice collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Thanks for the reply, there was a lot of other militaria in the collection I bought including a pair of Mk 11 Emergency period helmets with string nets for camo, a Vickers helmet that hadn't been painted white, a set of accessories for the 1935 dress uniform to include a sword hanger belt, belt and buckle, tunic cuff and collar liners, epps, silver cap cord, a pair of 08 web belts, bits of 37 pattern webbing, an American air cadets WW2 period cap, various lanyards, etc. There was a nice collection of items but cloth badges and patches aren't my thing and I don't know the rare ones from the common ones. There is a marksman badge thats identical to the one in the collection on ebay at the moment and it was at €36 the last thing I checked it. The one I have is paper backed so I'm guessing it has some age to it. The badge I like the best in the lot is the Dublin United Tramways conductors badge, it has good quality blue enamel and is gilded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Nice collection of badges there and something similar to what I have myself which is , Eastern ,Southern Command patchs ,5th/12th Battlion patches ,Air Corp patches ,UN flashs /patches , Tri Colour patches ,cross rifle pins , cap badge (FF) , assorted IDF/UN /British pin badges , ex-servicemens patches and UN flag...most of which I've bought on ebay .

I also recently bought an Austrian army helmet (below) which is moulded exact same shape as the American- M1- GI helmet -WW2 period .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austrian-army-helmet-M1-helmet-shape-/180689337738?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1597917435804940335&_qi=RTM742988

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Thats interesting about the American helmet as there was one in the collection that I bought. I don't know anything about US helmets but theres a few photos of it attached. I'm guessing that its from the Vietnam War period. I was looking throught the stuff again tonight and there was another of the "20 Cathlan Comp D" titles in the bottom of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

molders wrote: »
    I'm guessing that its from the Vietnam War period.

Looks like the cover could be dated 69 alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Hi Molders, I came across your boards-post on google. Do you still have any of the cloth unit flashes or the smaller cloth flashes and would you be interested in parting with them?

Advertisement