Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate the race: Round 10 - German Grand Prix

Options
  • 24-07-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

The Nurburgring produced another close race with numerous overtaking moves for the lead and the race won by a superior strategic call by McLaren. We had action all the way with Vettel and Schumacher both spinning off, lots of close battles, I really enjoyed the race and I'll be giving it a well deserved 8 out of ten. What about you?

Rate the Race 33 votes

0%
    3%
    Killinator 1 vote
    15%
    BluehairBeekaySparks43The FalconSheeps 5 votes
    57%
    [Deleted User]dor83muckwarriortonedeflord lucanEvilMonkeyGhost Trainyogidc26MyrddinGrim.frostie500Kev_ps3vincenzolorenzoRayMlovinitGlico Mansob1467losthorizonAutosport 19 votes
    12%
    11811ScumLordmickdwfrodos63 4 votes
    9%
    LIGHTNINGIM0Lionbacker 3 votes
    0%
    0%
    3%
    Sean Quagmire 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

What I liked about this race is that it was legitimately good without any artificial influences spicing it up. No rain, not many crashes, no major tyre issues and most overtakes were non DRS assisted. It was just good straight racing. Only thing missing was a more climactic finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What I liked about this race is that it was legitimately good without any artificial influences spicing it up. No rain, not many crashes, no major tyre issues and most overtakes were non DRS assisted. It was just good straight racing. Only thing missing was a more climactic finish.

Amen to that, right on the money. I bearly heard the word DRS being mentioned. It produced a really enjoyable race. I wonder, I just wonder, if Vettel can be reeled in. If possible, albeit highly unlikely, 2011 could turn from the dullest season in a long time, to possibly a thrilling finish. Fingers crossed.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I gave it an 8, plenty of overtaking, edge of seat racing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gave it a 7. Good race. Bit crap for webber finishing only one place ahead of vettel after seb being rough around the edges today.
    Schumacher did well enough too. Was always on the move although I guess alot of it was making up for his own mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EnterNow wrote: »
    If possible, albeit highly unlikely, 2011 could turn from the dullest season in a long time, to possibly a thrilling finish. Fingers crossed.
    It's been far from dull, despite Vettle winning all the time there's been loads of action all the way down the field. There's always something going on somewhere on the track.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's been far from dull, despite Vettle winning all the time there's been loads of action all the way down the field. There's always something going on somewhere on the track.

To be honest, it's the podium that really interests me when we talk about excitement during a race. And the championship provides the long term excitement over the season. Until now, both have almost seemed predetermined.

Granted the midfield battles & backend battles can be fascinating to watch, at the end of the day we all watch racing to see who wins.

To be honest, it's the podium that really interests me when we talk about excitement during a race. And the championship provides the long term excitement over the season. Until now, both have almost seemed predetermined.

Granted the midfield battles & backend battles can be fascinating to watch, at the end of the day we all watch racing to see who wins.
    Well then you've no one to blame for being bored other than yourself, to me a world class driver doing world class things in a world class car is the excitement. He doesn't need to be world champion just be good and fight hard.

If a great overtaking manoeuvre takes place it shouldn't matter whether it's for first place or last place.

Well then you've no one to blame for being bored other than yourself, to me a world class driver doing world class things in a world class car is the excitement. He doesn't need to be world champion just be good and fight hard.

If a great overtaking manoeuvre takes place it shouldn't matter whether it's for first place or last place.

Your largely right, I'm a shallow enough F1 fan I guess in that respect. But in the same regard, I'm also a recent enough fan ('08) & am still learning. I wouldn't say I'm bored though because of the racing/on track action, it's prob more due to the sheer excitement of the 08/09/10 seasons back to back. Then along came '11 :(

Your largely right, I'm a shallow enough F1 fan I guess in that respect. But in the same regard, I'm also a recent enough fan ('08) & am still learning. I wouldn't say I'm bored though because of the racing/on track action, it's prob more due to the sheer excitement of the 08/09/10 seasons back to back. Then along came '11 :(
    I thought this was the best season in years, I don't remember 08/09/10 being all that good at all.

I thought this was the best season in years, I don't remember 08/09/10 being all that good at all.

Not for me, for me it just feels like Vettel has run away with it & it's already over. Yesterday though changed my mind on it slightly. Who wins is important, but for me to have a championship battle between drivers is way more important. Hopefuly this season can inject some competetiveness back into McL & Ferrari

• Advertisement

Not for me, for me it just feels like Vettel has run away with it & it's already over. Yesterday though changed my mind on it slightly. Who wins is important, but for me to have a championship battle between drivers is way more important. Hopefuly this season can inject some competetiveness back into McL & Ferrari
    There is a big difference though, back when Schummy was winning everything he was the only game in town. There's so many good drivers now, all they need is a good car and the new rules are eroding the benefits of being loaded with money.

It has to be said Vettles been awfully lucky so far this year, everything has just played into his hands he won some races just by the luck of the draw and that won't last, there's plenty of drivers with the same skill level as him (maybe even higher) on his coat tails and once his luck runs out they will be able to punish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Were you watching those years at all??? Granted there was less overtaking in races so on an individual basis the races were less exciting than this year but in terms of championship they were brilliant. IMO the last 3/4 years have been the best and most exciting since I started watching in 94, with only odd exceptions in that time.

08: Championship was very tight between Massa and hamilton all the way through. Was only decided on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the season. Plus there was 7 different race winners over the course of the season. Excitement doesn't even begin to describe it.

09: First half of season fairly boring as Button used his massive car advantage to good effect and opened up a big championship lead (like vettel this year) but then it all started going down the pan and he had to fight hard to win it. Less exciting season than 08 but still pretty damn good.

10: Brilliant 4 way battle that ebbed and flowed between the main players right til the end of the season. 4 drivers in the final race of the season with a shout at the title, and Button was in the hunt up until the last couple of races too IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

8 from me. Really enjoyed the race. I had hoped for rain to shake it up but turns out it wasn't needed as the race was exciting enough without it.

Were you watching those years at all???
    Was brought up on F1 since a child. The championship is just stats, for me all the excitement takes place on the track, if it's not happening there it's not happening anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There is a big difference though, back when Schummy was winning everything he was the only game in town. There's so many good drivers now, all they need is a good car and the new rules are eroding the benefits of being loaded with money.

It has to be said Vettles been awfully lucky so far this year, everything has just played into his hands he won some races just by the luck of the draw and that won't last, there's plenty of drivers with the same skill level as him (maybe even higher) on his coat tails and once his luck runs out they will be able to punish him.
    I wouldn't agree with that at all, I'd say he's probably in the top 3 on the grid in talent terms. Granted, a few things went his way, but a lot was his own doing too. He won it last year after 75 points were robbed from him in 3 certain win's with engine blow-up's, and a few things going against him.
    His qualifying laps for the most part have been close to flawless, and that's the first step towards keeping out of trouble.
    To be fair, there have been many drivers who have had the best car on the grid for much of a season, but very few have put it on pole and finished first in as many races as he has.

Advertisement