Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you recommend a good massage course in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'd like to take a part-time ITEC/CIBTAC holistic massage course not too far from city centre. I was thinking to take the course in HCD, it seems to be a good college, or in Portobello Institute, as they have weekend courses.

I heard SCD is really good but also quite tough and they require full attendance.

I have a full time job in a multinational company, so they sometimes ask to work longer hours, might send me to business trips, and so on. So, although I want to take a good course, I need need to find a good balance with my job.

Would a private college be more flexible/require less studying or are they all similar in terms of preparation to the exams?

Can you recommend any good course in Dublin?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smithsfan83

Hi Irene,
    I'm similarily interested in doing a course like this. Are u based in Dublin? Have u found anything worth looking into? I'm in westmeath and A.I.T do a one day a week diploma in anatomy, physiology and massage....Probs wouldn't suit you cause of your job and its on a monday 10:00 - 4:00. Anyway keep me updated

Caz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IreneP

Hi Caz!

Thank you for your reply!

I heard really good feedback about HCD. I also went to have a massage in the Therapeutic Massage Clinic on Dame street. They all studied there and even taught at the college for a while (there were once doing business together) and they are superprofessional. The massage was amazing (and I'm kinda fussy :-) )...so it's kind of a good reference, isn't it? I'm seriously considering taking the course there, but I'm still gathering info..if you hear anything else, please let me know! Have a good weekend!

Irene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Have heard good things about the Portobello Institute, seems to suit people who are working full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 astonbaretta

I did an ITEC holistic massage course in Walmer college, Raheny and I could'nt say enough good things about them. They have flexible courses evenings, weekends, day time, intensive courses etc. Google them and give them a call. The toughest part of the course is the A&P, followed by the case studies, everything else is a breeze and will just fall into place. Good luck to you in your future career!;)

Thank you so much for your reply. I eventually chose the Holistic College in Dublin about 3 weeks ago, but i'll definitely keep the Walmer college in mind for specialization courses, like I saw they do the Hot stone course and aromatherapy.

I can imagine A&P and case studies do take a lot of time. Did you find that manageable tho? I mean, do you think that it's doable if you have a full time job?

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate your tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 astonbaretta

Yes, I think most people doing these courses are working and that's why the hours are so flexible, I worked full time and had no problem doing the course work. I suggest that you type up your case studies as soon after each massage as possible (I didn't), otherwise it will turn in to an epic, you'll panic and become stressed and you may forefit valuable time at the end of your course which would be better spent revising.
    As regards the A&P you'll find the questions quite ambiguous even though its multiple choice. Go through the marks available for each section....if its only worth 5 marks it may not be the worth the brain space if you are struggling. I got quite bogged down in muscles, origins and insertions, latin names etc. I'd have been better off just concentrating on trying to put names on exactly what I was massaging in the practicals, it makes more sense when you can see it in the flesh (pardon the pun). I'm sure you'll be grand when you get in to it, its easy to pick up things that really interest you.

Thank you so much for all these precious tips, you've been extremely kind. I'm sure I'll enjoy the course and I'll treasure your tips. Hopefully the Latin names will be familiar to me as I'm Italian, I already saw on the A&P book that most scientific terms are very similar to the Italian ones. But really, thank you again. Grazie mille!

Advertisement