Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden minnows

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

I have three Golden Minnows in a medium-sized tank. A few days ago I introduced some other minnows (not sure of breed). Apart from some snails there is nothing else in the tank.

The last couple of days it appears the Golden Minnows are changing - one has a brown patch on his head and they have all gone red around the fins. I don't believe they are sick, they are eating fine and swimming about happily enough. The new ones came from a reputable pet shop and would have been quarantined before being sold.

One has got a swollen belly and I'm wondering if they maybe just going through a breeding cycle.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I think you are refering to White Cloud Mountain Minnows?

If that is the case it is normal for them to have red fins. When they come into breeding condition the females have big round bellies and the males are much more streamlined in appearance but they have brighter red colours on their fins.

The males will display quite a bit and swim alongside other males showing off. They are very interesting to watch.

The golden variety is less common then the brown variety but they live happily together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, they are Mountain Minnows but it is the Golden Minnows that have changed - their fins have gone red and one of them has a bloated tummy.

I've bought some bacterial control just in case it is red fin.

If one of the Golden Minnows is about to lay eggs, where will she lay them? They have some rocks and a little cave but no plants.

Advertisement