Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Advice

Options
  • 24-07-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Veles wrote: »
    I know there was an old thread before but i didnt want to drag it up,im finding it hard to decide between the HTC Sensation or the Samsung S II,so folks which is the better phone and why?

As you will have noted from posts in that thread, you need to post what are your priorities with the phone for things like:
    Build quality
    Camera
    Weight
    Ease of modding etc.

Otherwise it's like asking which is better apples or oranges?

.......Clearly apples!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

They're both android 2.3 so should have similar apps; 2.3.4 supports video voip via skype and google AFAIK, their are leaked official builds for SGS2 which are 2.3.4 (I run a custom ROM based on one)

Camera is good on SGS2 with flash; HTC have historically had poor cameras, but appear to have upped their game with the Sensation.

Big difference in weight 116g vs 148g (SGS2 is lighter) with phones of this screen size lighter is not necessarily better (heavier may make the phone feel more solid) but I think the SGS 2 is pretty well built.

Screen is probably better on the SGS2 with more vibrant colours.

With regards to skype and VOIP in general, the network you are on is probably more important as I get the impression that some networks may block it over 3G - I have never really used them over 3G so can't comment.

Keeping up to date with Android updates is also important: historically here HTC would have been better, but Android 2.3 is available for the original SGS, and no sign of 2.3 for Desire yet

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

I went through the same pain as you're going through right now. In the end I got the SGS 2 because:
    1. Unlocked bootloader. If there any niggles with it, I can change it. As of right now, the bootloader is still locked on the Sensation.
    2. Lighter. & Pocketable. It may appear fragile, but the construction is very sturdy. I have no creaks with one, or two-handed operation. the back is flimsy, but really: How often will you take the back off the phone once it's been set up??
    3. Sheer raw power. Even with the Samsung Touch Wiz over lay, the interface is pretty good, & although Sense on the HTC is very touch-friendly, I feel it could weigh down the Android OS. No such problems with the SGS 2.
    4. Cyanogenmod 7.1 and MIUI roms are coming along nicely, and when they harness the dual-core processor of the galaxy s2, it'll only be reassurance that the SGS 2 was the right choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Obskure wrote: »
    I went through the same pain as you're going through right now. In the end I got the SGS 2 because:
    1. Unlocked bootloader. If there any niggles with it, I can change it. As of right now, the bootloader is still locked on the Sensation.
    2. Lighter. & Pocketable. It may appear fragile, but the construction is very sturdy. I have no creaks with one, or two-handed operation. the back is flimsy, but really: How often will you take the back off the phone once it's been set up??
    3. Sheer raw power. Even with the Samsung Touch Wiz over lay, the interface is pretty good, & although Sense on the HTC is very touch-friendly, I feel it could weigh down the Android OS. No such problems with the SGS 2.
    4. Cyanogenmod 7.1 and MIUI roms are coming along nicely, and when they harness the dual-core processor of the galaxy s2, it'll only be reassurance that the SGS 2 was the right choice
    What's Cyanogenmod and why will it be better on the SGS2 than Sensation?
    Sorry, newbie to Android!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

From the website "What is CyanogenMod? CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones."
    I didn't explicitly say that it would be better on SGS2 but, the fact is that as of yet, you can't load a custom ROM onto the Sensation.I am reassured in the fact that Samsung deliberately used an unlocked bootloader so as to allow the modding community to peddle their wares.
    They also gave away free SGS2's to the Cyanogenmod devs.

Edit: I hope the above statement didn't come across as bullish. Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully I can answer them

Advertisement