Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog attacked by guard dog

Options
  • 24-07-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I was walking with my staffie yesterday who was on a lead, we live on the outskirts of town. There's a car dealership near us on the left side of the road which has a German shepherd guard dog. This dog was loose across the road outside the wall of the car dealers. The GS saw us and came across the road, sniffed at my lady who I had pulled up tight at this stage and the GS then lunged for my dog and latched onto the right side of her neck. I was ****ting it, I tried kicking the GS in the jaw but she wouldn't let her, did it a few times, at this stage a man had come out of the garage on the side of the road we were on. He thumped the GS a few times on the rear but no go, then another mechanic ran across the road to the car dealers and got the owner of the GS who managed to free his GS from my dog.

My dog was bleeding but otherwise appeared fine, I got a big bruise in my leg from the GS when I kicked it, it kicked me back.

I did ask the owner of the GS for his name and told him if my dog required veterinary attention I would be sending him the bill.

having spoken to a few people I'm wondering if I should have reprted this man for having his dog off lead in a public area. I am thankful my dog and myself are ok, a bit shaken but not stirred!! But I would be very wary of passing this way again, I normally take this walk later in the evening, 7 ish but it was 3.30p.m. yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez Caros,
    What a dreadful experience, your poor dog. I hope she's ok both physically and mentally, that she won't develop a fear of dogs.
    This man broke the law, and you suffered a loss from it. As did your dog. So yes, he certainly should recompense you for damages. You could tell him you'll go official if a) he doesn't recompense you, and b) if you ever see his dog out in public uncontrolled again. I'm throwing in the 2nd option for his dog's sake, as it's the dog that'll pay the price for his owner's negligence.
    I'd consider reporting the incident to the warden though, explaining that you don't want to push the issue but would like him aware of it. He may visit the owner and slap his wrist.
    That is assuming you don't want to take it further though... You have every right to!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

To be honest I don't want the poor gaurd dog to be in trouble if you know what I mean! Maybe I will see if the dog warden would have a word with he owner - sounds like a good idea. Just back from walking my lady now and purposely took an entirely different route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The dog should not be out wandering end of story.
    If that had been an attack on a kid or anyone else, and the owner could be facing criminal prosecution and law suits.

It's simply not acceptable to have a dangerous guard dog wandering!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

sorry to hear about that, i wouldnt report him id just go back and have a word with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Terrible situation,i hope you and your dog are ok :(
    Make sure to get her around dogs so you reassure her no danger.
    I would report him yes so he gets a knock also will cover your standing on the vet bills if needed.

I was out walking our dogs on a main road one day.This dog came dashing across the road from a house.I wasnt worried about what it would do to my dogs,but worried about it being run over.Cars flying all over place jamming on breaks.I had my eyes closed and panic thinking dead dog.
    Luckily all the cars managed to avoid the dog and it went back into its garden,
    They have huge gates (close them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Had a similar event happen to me few years ago was out walking when a GS came out of no where and locked jaws onto my little lad, the struggle of trying to get him off was tough I had to resort to kicking and punching but in the end I had to wrap my arms around the dogs neck to choke him I was very disgusted with what I had to do, we all ended up with cuts but we all lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

WOW -

This sounds absolutely horrific - Maybe best having a word with the owner and try to scare him into not letting his dog run loose so is not to attack other dogs or people -

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

caseyann wrote: »

I was out walking our dogs on a main road one day.This dog came dashing across the road from a house.I wasnt worried about what it would do to my dogs,but worried about it being run over.Cars flying all over place jamming on breaks.I had my eyes closed and panic thinking dead dog.
    Luckily all the cars managed to avoid the dog

Luckily none of the people jamming on the breaks didn't have a crash and injure themselves never mind the dog!!! (although of course I am glad that didn't get hurt too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Report it, both to the Council and the Gardai. This could easily have been a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boodog

What happened you was awful. As an owner of a GSD, I am aware the law states, a) He is not legally allowed off lead and b) should be muzzled in public.
    What this garage has could be classed as an 'out of contol attack dog', which is evident in how the owner tried to handle the situation, ie. thumping the dog. A gsd should never be allowed to roam free for thier safety as well as those around them.
    Once again, the breed will be to blame and not tthe ignorance of the owner.
    I hope you and your dog make a full recovery, please have a word with the dog warden if you don't want to approach the owner as like others said if it was a child or OAP they'd be knocked off thier feet and injured even worse than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

Report it, both to the Council and the Gardai. This could easily have been a child.

Completely agree. I cant abide irresponsible ownership, no way should that dog be off a lead! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

The fact that the GSD drew blood from your dog is very very serious and shows that this gsd does not have sufficient bite inhibition. A lot of dogs have scuffles and apparently violent fights but the majority of times both dogs walk away without as much as a nick.
    While you don't want this dog to get in trouble, you absolutely must report it. Hopefully the owner will be forced to confine his dog away from public areas, but if you dont report it then next time the dog attacks it may be a less sturdy dog and will do major damage.

Advertisement