Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who next for the tour??

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I have to say, i absolutely loved every minute of the Tour this year, when Contador lost time on the first stage, you just knew something was going to kick off.
    But my question, Andy Schleck won the White jersey the last 3 years, and i do hope that he will go onto win the yellow at some stage, thought it would be this year, but alas, it was not meant to be. Three years ago Andy did some excellent work, similar to a certain Mr Rolland this year.

My question, what young(ish) riders from this years tour did well to either be future GC contenders or become leaders of their respective teams??

Rolland looks a serious prospect and the next most likely French winner, and as a super domestique at the moment, what will his role be next year??
    Uran, was also a super domestique to help wiggins in the mountains, but did very well also.
    Taaramae is already established as a team leader, but is he strong enough to contest the GC??
    Coppel is already a team leader, but don't think he has it in the mountains to be a top 5 contender, yet anyway.
    Peter Velits showed good climbing also.

A cyclist that i like, won't be in the mix for GC, but could notch a number of stage wins on grand tours is Thomas De Gendt, and i think he has a bright future ahead of him.

Out of the next batch of young cyclists, who will win the Tour??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peraud (AG2R) is a good climber and a fine TTer. The only thing holding him back at the mo is his (Roche's) team. And another question is his age (34).

Gadret was the leading Frenchman last year in 19th (!), but this year there are 5 Frenchmen in the top 15, three of whom are "young" riders.

I see a French winner soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

For me, ones to watch are Gesink, and Geraint Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Valverde. He's back next year iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Richie Porte who was a domestique this year for Contador has all it takes to be the second Australian tour winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I was impressed with Jelle Vanendert. Rolland looks a super prospect and Uran should be up there in the GC in the coming years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement