Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to smartphones - how much inclusive data should I need?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Currently have an out-of-contract SE W995 and my new phone may well be an SE Arc. Looking at various plans on Meteor and 3 (I've been with 3 for a number of years) and and the Meteor Smart €50 offers 2Gb vs. the "All you can eat" option on the Classic Flex Max with 3.

Is 2Gb likely to be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

I have a SE Xperia X8 with O2 and get 700MB a month for €9.99.
    I'm only into my second month, I only used about 70MB last month. You have to take into that that I was new to the whole android thing and was messing about so 2Gs would IMO be more than enough unless you plan to use it to watch live tv while roaming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

How much wifi have you access to? I use 25-35 MB per month thanks to wifi at home and work and not using the phone whilst commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I work from home mostly, so I have wifi nearly all the time and no commute.

Was happy enough to stay with 3, but was waiting for the phone price to come down. I'm due an upgrade and the plan was going to be €40 and the phone €139. I thought that might drop a bit.

Tonight I see that it's gone up; still €40 for the plan and €189 for the phone. Meteor is offering their plan at €40 (discounted from €50 for 12 months) and the Arc at €39.99, so that's looking very attractive. My only concern was over the amount of inclusive data on offer and you folks have set my mind at ease. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have 250mb pm allowance and never come near that due to WiFi at home and at work. So seeing as you have WiFi at home you may be ok with a low data package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Depends what you use it for. I use about 7-8 GB a month streaming music and thethering on threes all-you-can-eat plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have a 700mb allowance per month with u2 for the last 5 months or so. I have wifi at home. I have yet to use 250mbs in a month!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The most I ever used was about 250mb of a 1GB allowance and that was because I was updating the entire operating system that month...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm up to about 300mb now (month end on 27th) with WiFi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I regularly get through over a gig, closer to 2 some month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I have a gig allowance and I havent come close to it yet. I have wifi at home.
    I tether now and again but only for non data intensive tasks.
    So, for me a gig was plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Sounds like I'll be okay if I use whatever wifi infrastructure is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

CiaranC wrote: »
    Depends what you use it for. I use about 7-8 GB a month streaming music and thethering on threes all-you-can-eat plan.

Does that not devour your battery life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

BostonB wrote: »
    Does that not devour your battery life?

Doesnt seem to, any more than using anything else on the phone. I tend to plug it in when I get home or to the office, so its not really an issue.

Advertisement