Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusing solicitor advice

Options
  • 23-07-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I thought I'd done my homework and decided to buy a house to live in. I found a decent 3 bed semi in Dublin for 220K down from over 400 at the height of the bubble. I got a loan offer on variable rate over 35 years ( :( ) which makes me repay 836 euros per month. Got financial advisor, valuation, structural inspection, life insurance, mortgage protection, etc. everything sorted. Then I asked the solicitor when we could sign.

He went on a 20 minutes rant about how this is a really bad time to buy, that the crisis is only at the beginning, that over the next 2 years interest rates will double and house prices will collapse 50%, rents too, that the only people buying in Ireland right now "no offence" are foreigners who don't have a clue (I'm foreign) and that Irish banks are thieves who will steal all my savings and leave me with nothing, that the valuer guy does not care and is paid 110 euros to put a number on a piece of paper in 20 mins tops, etc.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be still sharing accommodation in my 30s, rent on my own would cost me more than mortgage, yet buying & mortgages are scary things, and you don't want to hear that when you're about to sign. I'm not asking what to do but what do you think of this solicitor, he seems to be going against his financial interest to help me...? But how bad can it really get within the E.U.? I disagree with everything he said but I think he knows better than I do.

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do you have a problem with buying a property or with that particular solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think the solicitor was honest- maybe a bit too honest- in his opinion. He did try to help you, but that doesn't mean he is completely right or that you need to heed his advice, which was economical rather than legal. I think it's not the best time to buy, but it's not the worst. if you are prepared to live in the property for a long time, then go for it, but, since you are a foreigner, if you expect to go back home in less than 5 years, I think the solicitor is probably right..

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Maybe he has a point-his advice is strong but not necessarily wrong.
    35 years is a long long mortgage.
    While I know that you don't want to rent forever-in another years time-your 3 bed semi may be selling for €40-€50k less than today.
    The general consensus is that house prices are going to fall another 25%-40%
    Take a look at www.thepropertypin.com

What harm is there in holding out for another 6 months-1 year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Misccold wrote: »
    Hi,

I thought I'd done my homework and decided to buy a house to live in. I found a decent 3 bed semi in Dublin for 220K down from over 400 at the height of the bubble. I got a loan offer on variable rate over 35 years ( :( ) which makes me repay 836 euros per month. Got financial advisor, valuation, structural inspection, life insurance, mortgage protection, etc. everything sorted. Then I asked the solicitor when we could sign.

He went on a 20 minutes rant about how this is a really bad time to buy, that the crisis is only at the beginning, that over the next 2 years interest rates will double and house prices will collapse 50%, rents too, that the only people buying in Ireland right now "no offence" are foreigners who don't have a clue (I'm foreign) and that Irish banks are thieves who will steal all my savings and leave me with nothing, that the valuer guy does not care and is paid 110 euros to put a number on a piece of paper in 20 mins tops, etc.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be still sharing accommodation in my 30s, rent on my own would cost me more than mortgage, yet buying & mortgages are scary things, and you don't want to hear that when you're about to sign. I'm not asking what to do but what do you think of this solicitor, he seems to be going against his financial interest to help me...? But how bad can it really get within the E.U.? I disagree with everything he said but I think he knows better than I do.

Sorry for the long post.

Sounds to me like the solicitor is giving you very good advice which, bear in mind, seems to be against his own interest, because he is losing his commission. You should always be more willing to believe someone arguing against interest!

Here is what the Irish Central Bank predicted a couple of months ago:
    THE CENTRAL Bank is stress-testing the Irish banks for a worst case scenario where residential property prices would fall 60 per cent from their peak and commercial property prices by 70 per cent.

This would involve residential prices falling by a further 17.4 per cent this year and 18.8 per cent in 2012 before the market recovers, while commercial property would fall a further 22 per cent this year before rising slightly in 2012.

While a worse or “adverse” case scenario will be looked at, the Central Bank expects residential property prices to fall by 55 per cent from their peak in 2007 until 2012 and to recover gradually in 2013.This would imply declines of 13.4 per cent in 2011 and 14.4 per cent in 2012 after falls of 14.8 per cent in 2008, 18.5 per cent in 2009 and about 15.5 per cent in 2010.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0317/1224292404434.html

My opinion is that you have found one of the few honest lawyers anywhere and he's giving you great advice. Buy him a bottle of champagne in thanks and keep renting for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi,

Sorry for the long post.

If you do a little investigation into the housing market you'll likely come to the same conclusion as him.

- house prices are dropping at around 15% per annum at the moment. That's about 30k off that house you're about to buy - this time next year. I sincerely doubt you could loose anything like that were you to rent on your own for a while.

- that rate of decline is steep. Steep declines don't come to a halt overnight which indicates there is some way to go til we reach the point where it would be economically sensibile to buy

- the government is broke. The chances of them sustaining rent allowance at current rates is nil. The current rate of rent allowance sets a floor on the rental market. Lower the floor and all rents (bar top end) go down with it.

The list goes on. I wouldn't buy a house now. At least not at 50% down from peak. Those who do will lose money for the next few years.

You've a decent solicitor. Give him the business later, when it is a good time to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did he gave you advice after sorting all te documentation?

Why didn't he said a thing before? He wont get any money if sale not going through.

I am foreigner myself. I am in the middle of buying house myself, waiting on solicitors to play theyr game.

Small bit hypocritical from my side, but I would not advice to buy a property above 120k eu. I am buying myself a house 3 bed, for 80k. Planing on living there for very long. Borrowing 70k is not as bad as borrowing 200k m8.

200k sound really alot for 3 bed m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Misccold

Did he gave you advice after sorting all te documentation?

Why didn't he said a thing before?
    Exactly what I asked. He said that he never talked to me before and that I was always dealing with his "secretary". Her email signature says "Legal Executive" so I did not know she was a secretary.
    Small bit hypocritical from my side, but I would not advice to buy a property above 120k eu. I am buying myself a house 3 bed, for 80k. Planing on living there for very long. Borrowing 70k is not as bad as borrowing 200k m8.

200k sound really alot for 3 bed m8.
    I did not find an affordable house outside of dangerous areas and close enough to work.

TreeHouse72 you said:
    THE CENTRAL Bank is stress-testing the Irish banks for a worst case scenario where residential property prices would fall 60 per cent from their peak
    The one I'm looking at is 50% from peak, I'd say all the good houses will be bought on the way down not at the bottom? I mean if I bought that house I would not (provided I can still afford the mortgage) sell it within the next 15 years.

How could my repayments possibly double up in 2 or 3 years? Surely that would only cause more problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

The one I'm looking at is 50% from peak, I'd say all the good houses will be bought on the way down not at the bottom? I mean if I bought that house I would not (provided I can still afford the mortgage) sell it within the next 15 years.

How could my repayments possibly double up in 2 or 3 years? Surely that would only cause more problems?

Don't mind the fall from peak. The statistics from that Central Bank article you want to look at are their prediction in the best case scenario is a c.14% fall in each of 2011 and 2012. On a €220,000 property that could be €60,000 which, if you have to borrow it, might end up costing you €100,000 in extra mortgage repayments over the lifetime of the mortgage. And that's a fairly optimistic view in my opinion.

That is a hell of a lot of money for the luxury of buying now and not in 2013.

Alright I understand, thanks Treehouse72.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

close enough to work
    Be careful with this one. I know a few who live an hour away from work. Not sure when they bought their house, but it won't always be "close to work". How are the nearby facilities in the house you're looking at, and what is the local infrastructure (trains, buses, major roads) near you like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not only will your mortgage go up, your income could fall.

Its a good time to rent and see what happens over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

A 3-Bed Semi in the Greater Dublin area should be no more than 3-4 times the average industrial wage.

In other words what you are looking at buying for 220k is realistically only worth 100 - 140k depending on the location.

Your solicitor sounds like he is up to his neck with other clients who can't afford their mortgages and are hounding him for advise on how to deal with it etc ..... hence he doesn't want to take on another 'negative' equity client.

So it's been a year, i guess noone cares anymore but me, here goes anyway.

I didn't go ahead. Currently there is only one other house for sale in the same estate, with an asking price of 229K. The one I had been looking at a year ago was asking 250K, selling for 220. That's a theoretical 21K drop (in asking prices) or 8.4% if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Hi Misccold,

Glad to see you back!! Just wondering how long the house has been on the market for that price?
    According to the CSO, house prices fell by 14.4% over the past year so that would imply that this house that you are looking at has too high an asking price.
    (Theoretically, based on an asking price of €250k, this house should be asking €215k approx)
    And if you really want to buy it and get an offer accepted similar to what you offered last year then you should offer 12% less - €191k approx-assuming everythings equal.
    So a saving of €29k!! :)
    Whatever you decide, stress test for much higher rates (6-8%) and get as close as you can afford to a 20 year mortgage!
    Good luck!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

So it's been a year, i guess noone cares anymore but me, here goes anyway.

I didn't go ahead. Currently there is only one other house for sale in the same estate, with an asking price of 229K. The one I had been looking at a year ago was asking 250K, selling for 220. That's a theoretical 21K drop (in asking prices) or 8.4% if I'm not mistaken.

Hi Miscold, good to see you back!
    I suppose in retrospect the solicitor saved you 20K (-your costs for the incomplete purchase last year).
    Personally I don't see prices dropping drastically in Dublin from here, however in some areas they will fluctuate and in sought after / high employment areas they will slowly increase.
    You should be in a better position with a years top up on your deposit /savings & with the price down and still a buyers market for you to negotiate a price your happy with or walk away to another property with.
    One thing that does resonate with me was your original solicitor saying :
    "that the only people buying in Ireland right now "no offence" are foreigners who don't have a clue"
    3 out of 4 of my clients buying houses / apartments are foreign nationals and I find them very astute and savvy buyers.
    - Their buying property at 60% of the costs paid for the same homes 6 - 8 years ago
    - Their engaging professionals for surveys and other services at 30 - 50% fee reduction than at the height of the boom
    - Their in full time employment & most times more than one adult in the family is in employment.
    - Costs are down across the board for anything you need to furnish / decor / or use a tradesman for in the property

Maybe it's just me, but i find statements like your solicitor made about someones nationality just a tad unprofessional ? (and I also have a pet hate -= that when you dress a sentence with 'no offence' -its a precursor to offending )
    Mike F :)

statements like your solicitor made about someones nationality just a tad unprofessional ? (and I also have a pet hate -= that when you dress a sentence with 'no offence' -its a precursor to offending )
    Mike F :)
    Agreed, and I could go on about "no offence" for a long time, as I've heard it quite a bit, but that belongs to a separate thread. The fact is that, his giving me financial rather than legal advice was unprofessional as well, and yet it was in my interest! It saved me ~17K (excluding cost of shared rental accommodation). So, I'm not that bothered about this remark. ;)

Holy Baby Jesus lads T_T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Did you buy in the end in 2012? You probably got a fantastic price

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I don't know why a 12 year old thread got resurrected, but I hope to God that the OP bought that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I was reading this thread as if it was recent and thought the solicitor had gone mad and everyone was agreeing with him.

Especially this line: "The general consensus is that house prices are going to fall another 25%-40%"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I mean, the solicitor got it pretty wrong, in hindsight.

that the crisis is only at the beginning - it wasn't

that over the next 2 years interest rates will double - nope, they kept falling until they hit zero and didn't go up for 11 years after the advice was given.

and house prices will collapse 50% - wrong again, this was July 2011 which was the bottom of the market.

I wouldn't blame the guy, no-one really knew what was going to happen back then, but it shows the danger in holding off on buying property based on speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

He was completely wrong, but that's easy to say in hindsight. What this does say is that extreme predictions are always to be taken with a pinch of salt.

ya, dont be dishing out absolutes as we see a lot of the time on here. No one knows whats going to happen, all we can do it use the information at hand and have a best guess.

I was told in 2017 there was going to be a price correction any day now and to hold off buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I resurrected it for comedy purposes.

No I didn't buy it, one of the earlier comments was me a year after, saying the price had fallen a bit. They've doubled since.

I bought something else in 2015. Just finished paying it off. All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It was an interesting thread to resurrect. Glad you did buy in 2015.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

Wow, you did well to be mortgage free in 9 years!

Advertisement