Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 24, Stage 21: Créteil - Paris Champs-Élysées 160km

Options
  • 23-07-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭

Last tango in Paris

Tribute will be paid at the start to t

wo-time Tour winner Laurent Fignon, who died last year and rode for the Créteil club in his younger days. From there, the peloton will roll out in a festive atmosphere. Even by Tour standards, this final day is short at just 95km following the transfer from Grenoble, but will be no less intense once the race leader's team have led the race onto the Champs-Elysées. Mark Cavendish has won this stage for the past two years and his goal will be to make that a hat-trick and do so with the green jersey
    on his shoulders.

tdf2011_21sm.jpg

tdf2011_21sp_600.jpg

its all about green

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Final stage queery.
    Has anyone ever lost the yellow jersey on the final stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lapin wrote: »
    Has anyone ever lost the yellow jersey on the final stage ?

Not that I'm wishing that on Evans. Great win

laurent fignon in 1989 doesnt count though it was a time trial

1947 Pierre Brambilla lost 13 minutes from caen to paris on the last day and yellow

1968 Jan Janssen again he won yellow in a tt into paris

isnt google brill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Can't see anything but a Cavendish victory in this one. He will want to win the Green Jersey in style, hopefully he delivers.
    Cav and Cadel are my two favourite cyclists so for both of them to win Green and Yellow respectively in the same Tour would be tremendous.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well that's a good start to the thread:rolleyes:

If you're going to refer to today's stage or positions after today's stage you must use spoiler tags, otherwise more cards will be handed out

Thanks

Beasty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Beasty wrote: »
    Well that's a good start to the thread:rolleyes:

If you're going to refer to today's stage or positions after today's stage you must use spoiler tags, otherwise more cards will be handed out

Thanks

Beasty

Apologies.

Don't understand it though.:confused:

Today's standings are common knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Apologies.

unless people are waiting for the highlights tonight and have been avoiding the reuslts.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the Charter
    3. Threads about televised racing
    Spoiler tags are used hide commentary about race results from boardsies who haven't watched a race live and are waiting to catch up later in the day. If you don't know what a spoiler tag is, find out. If you break the rules on spoilers, expect severe punishment. We wait all year to follow the big races so don't ruin it by being thoughtless.
    • For non-stage-specific threads about stage races (e.g. "TdF 2011"), use spoiler tags until midnight.
    • For one-day races, expect threads to contain spoilers once the race has begun. Please endevour to use spoiler warnings in the thread title.
    • IIn threads about specific stages of stage races ("Paris-Nice 2010 Stage 3") or one day races don't use spoiler tags. If you haven't seen the race, don't open the thread. Don't put any information about the result, either with or without spoiler tags in the first post, since the mouse-over feature doesn't work on spoiler tags.
    • Don't post anything which even hints at a same-day race result in a non-stage or race specific thread before midnight. For instance: re-opening the Jens Voight thread with a link to Paris-Nice results, or creating a thread named "Vuelta stage win reported on RTE *Spoilers ahead*" which hints that an Irish rider has won.
    • If you follow the above rules, there is no need to create "contains spoilers" type threads. This is ambiguous since one person's spoiler is another persons spoiler tag.
    Some people will want to watch the highlights later on without having stumbled across "relevant" info on here. They know they should just steer clear of the specific stage thread, and if you want to comment on current standings it's better to do it there rather than in any other threads. However if you feel you must comment, spoiler tags must be used until midnight

I would also point out this sticky which really could not be more explicit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Voeckler in a lone breakaway- the dream.

Cavendish in a sprint - reality.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Moderators have done a sterling job during this tour, fair play. But anyone looking at a preview of the next days stage without knowing the result of today's is really asking for trouble imo. You might consider changing that aspect for next year.

Now, are lads not allowed have a go tomorrow? Media is reporting that X has won the tour today, but are other riders not at least allowed have a go? What if X crashes? Gets a puncture? Loses his chain? Is taken out of it by someone else? Is it bad form to try and challenge him?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I want to see an awesome break away, I know it won't happen and it might be bad manners but it could be done!!!
    Couldn't it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Holyboy wrote: »
    I want to see an awesome break away, I know it won't happen and it might be bad manners but it could be done!!!
    Couldn't it??

95km HTC could TTT that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

hopefully a great ending to an amazing edition of the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Gotta laugh at all this 'could somebody attack tomorrow talk'... On a 90km flat stage a breakaway will never stick. Couple of show breaks on the champs by somebody lookig to get tv time will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

Hope Hinault gets a lead out from Nico.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

God I'd love to be there for the stroll through the suburbs. Cadel; is having a conversation and a laugh with the motorbike/cameraman. Looks like a lovely day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Peta on ITV4............

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cadel is just after switching bikes. Wonder will anyone challenge.

:D

Another mechanical - not a great ad for BMC bikes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

From eurosprt.com:
    79km - Evans' bike change was superstition, we're hearing. Apparently the Australian wanted to swap the yellow bike for the black and red machine he's been using throughout the race. So he got the photocall out of the way and then made the swap.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Apparently BMC bought 40 bottles of champers for the ride in and have them in the car, I would not be cycling to close to them :pac:

• Advertisement

Cavendish just switched bikes for some reason?

It's just a glorified commuter race today!

Winding up for a good finish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Perfect leadout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cav gets it, 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cancellara was up there trying :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Brilliant from Cav, legend in the making. Pity such a great Tour had to come to an end, the best one I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A fine ending to the finest tour. Well done to Evans, Cavendish and the other 2 jersey winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Love seeing just how much it means to him, now THAT is what you want to see on the top step of the podium in Paris. So many riders have kept such a calm facade in the same situation, but you want to see some emotion on their faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Love seeing just how much it means to him, now THAT is what you want to see on the top step of the podium in Paris. So many riders have kept such a calm facade in the same situation, but you want to see some emotion on their faces!

I actully thought he was going to burst during the Anthem. Great win for him, in a tour full of excitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

irish-stew wrote: »
    I actully thought he was going to burst during the Anthem. Great win for him, in a tour full of excitment.

I was thinking the same, he looked like he was struggling to hold back an ocean! The Schlecks both look pretty happy too - it might not have been ideal, but to have two team-mates, two brothers, on the podium is a pretty amazing feat. Hopefully next year they'll spend a little less time gazing at each other, and more time on some serious attacks. :)

EDIT: Voeckler got an almighty roar there! :)

Advertisement