Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green V Brown bottles

Options
  • 23-07-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I know clear glass bottles are bad because of the light screwing up the beer but I only recently learned that green ones are bad too. I have some of these that I've been using. Can anyone tell me what their experience is with these? Should I just recycle them straight away? I read something about them being better than clear but not as good as brown. Does it really matter??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Just keep the bottles out of the sunlight and you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Green and clear offer the same level of protection: none. Keep them out of the light, and change to brown for future batches as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Damn.no more budvar or tyskie on the shopping list.......

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Lars wrote: »
    Damn.no more budvar or tyskie on the shopping list.......

Why no Tyskie? They're brown aren't they? *checks fridge*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BeerNut wrote: »
    Green and clear offer the same level of protection: none. Keep them out of the light, and change to brown for future batches as soon as you can.

Well, what are you looking for protection from? Is it UV?

• Advertisement

Just noticed that merc230ce as I drink my second tyskie. musta been staropramen!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Donny5 wrote: »
    Is it UV?
    Yes.
    I thought all glass blocked uv.isn't that why I can't get a tan in a conservatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lars wrote: »
    I thought all glass blocked uv.isn't that why I can't get a tan in a conservatory?

Nope some still penetrate

oblivious wrote: »
    Nope some still penetrate

The difference in UV absorption and reflectance between brown and other-coloured but otherwise identical glass is negligible, so it must be something else. Your link above suggests it's visible light that's the problem, but it's quite confusing to me overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Suppose its a bit like Sunlight through window glass will still fade photographs and paintings etc but you wont get a suntan, but it will still leave in IR light and you feel the heat.

I was kinda wondering what Sunlight does to Homebrew and why the coloured bottles and keeping out of the light.

I had thought it was just to to with the clearness of the final product, but did
    not know "light" effected the taste, until I read the link about Light Struck Beer.

~B

It's easy to test. Get two bottles of Pilsner Urquell, say, fresh from the box if possible. Leave one in the fridge and one in a sunny window for a week. Serve them together at the same temperature and you'll taste what skunking is.

The difference in UV absorption and reflectance between brown and other-coloured but otherwise identical glass is negligible, so it must be something else. Your link above suggests it's visible light that's the problem, but it's quite confusing to me overall.

No its not, figure one prove the point brown all the way

http://hw.libsyn.com/p/8/d/d/8dde0d6c5d348121/bbrskunking.pdf?sid=5b0b62f5959b22689e5430ea491f8076&l_sid=18257&l_eid=&l_mid=1511404

oblivious wrote: »

Oblivious, figure 1 in that paper shows the absorbtion rates for different glass of light produced by a tungsten light, which, as the paper states, produces no UV light, which is why the all the reading converge to zero at the UV end of the spectrum, which is ~400nm and lower. The figure you should be looking at is figure two, where sunlight is the source and there is UV to filter. In that graph, it's shown that with the bottles used, brown was far better than than other colours at absorbing UV.

Oblivious, figure 1 in that paper shows the absorbtion rates for different glass of light produced by a tungsten light, which, as the paper states, produces no UV light, which is why the all the reading converge to zero at the UV end of the spectrum, which is ~400nm and lower. The figure you should be looking at is figure two, where sunlight is the source and there is UV to filter. In that graph, it's shown that with the bottles used, brown was far better than than other colours at absorbing UV.

True, figure 3 is also good as it shows the over lay emissions (light that's hitting the beer an not been Abs by the glass) of all three glass types in the uv-vis spectra where "Skunking'' will occur

Advertisement