Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching dogs tricks

Options
  • 23-07-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Other than 'sit' and 'come' my dogs don't really do any tricks. I've decided to teache them a couple of things, starting with 'beg' and 'lie down' and hopefully finish up with 'close the door'.

Funnily enough Tegan, the dim one, seems to be picking things up more quickly, even though she's 1) dim and 2) not quite as treat orientated as Rani. TBH I think Rani's food obsession is almost more of a hinderance to learning as she seems in such a flurry of 'Oh my gods, treats!' that she can't figure out what to do to get them.

Anyway, that'll be something to work on. My query is this; should I continue the training session until they have one trick perfect, or to leave it to about 10 minutes and keep an eye on if they're getting bored, stopping whether they've got it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You're better to break down the tricks into steps so the dog can get rewarded for a step taken, then you can get Rani to do 1 small step, she gets the treat, and ends on a win. You could clicker train Rani for each step so it's really easy for her to realise what behaviour you want.

One of mine closes the door and here's how we taught her
    Door fully closed
    - click and treat for going near the door
    - then click and treat for touching the door
    - then click and treat for touching a tiny bit of peanut butter higher up on the door
    - then click and treat for standing up on hind legs and touching the door
    Door slightly open
    - click and treat for standing up on door and the door moving a little
    - open door more and click and treat for standing on door and pushing it closed

Then we showed her a fairly big treat, and showed her that we put it on top of the door, once she stood on the door and it shut the treat fell down, instant reward

When she's gotten the idea of getting a treat when she closes the door the you can bring in the clicker again, she shuts the door and click her, call her to you and reward. Fairly shortly she should close the door and come to you for a reward.

At any stage you can go back a step so she still gets a win. That's how I train mine anyway, one of mine is so food obsessed that she'll turn herself in circles and do everything she knows to try and get the treat so little steps with a clicker works for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I always only train my dogs for 10-15 mins at a time max! it can be very mentally challenging for them sometimes picking up new tricks! Training can sometimes be a very slow process and patience is an absolute must! definately do not over train them as they will get bored and frustrated and not want to work for you, try keep it as fun for them as possible :)

Advertisement