Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ill Before Wisdom Tooth Removal

Options
  • 23-07-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm due to have all my wisdom teeth out Tuesday morning and I'm going to be sedated for the procedure, thankfully.

My problem is that I have now come down with a cold. I noticed yesterday evening my nose getting very stuffy and today I have a very sore throat, blocked nose, and pressure between my eyes and overall feel groggy.

I'm worried this will be a problem if it hasn't disappeared by Tuesday and unfortunately I didn't realise I was coming down with anything yesterday when I could have rang the surgeon. They're not open again until Monday so now I'm not only terrified about the surgery but also about being ill.

Does anyone know if a cold will affect me not being able to have the procedure done, and is it important to let the Oral Surgeon know on Monday if it is still bothering me?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Saaron wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm due to have all my wisdom teeth out Tuesday morning and I'm going to be sedated for the procedure, thankfully.

My problem is that I have now come down with a cold. I noticed yesterday evening my nose getting very stuffy and today I have a very sore throat, blocked nose, and pressure between my eyes and overall feel groggy.

I'm worried this will be a problem if it hasn't disappeared by Tuesday and unfortunately I didn't realise I was coming down with anything yesterday when I could have rang the surgeon. They're not open again until Monday so now I'm not only terrified about the surgery but also about being ill.

Does anyone know if a cold will affect me not being able to have the procedure done, and is it important to let the Oral Surgeon know on Monday if it is still bothering me?

Thank you :)

Sorry to hear op,
    IV sedation is not the same as GA in that for a GA they would cancel you without a doubt. There is a little more tolerance when doing IV sedation as a tube does not pass into your airway etc etc...

IV sedation and work into mouth usually requires a patent nasal airway. Also you don't have to be in the best form of your life but it's not ideal to do an elective proceedure on someone who is under the weather...

As you can not inform them anyway till Monday, my advice;
    Lemsips regularly, vicks inhalations (spoon of vicks in a bowl of boiling water and place your head above this with a teatowel to hold in the steam) till Monday then see how you are. Ring them ASAP on Monday anyway and tell them how you are feeling then and let them decide.

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Thank you so much, I'll try get some Lemsips and see how things are on Monday :) Hopefully I'll be well enough so that everything can go ahead!

Advertisement