Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Sauvignon Blanc/Pinot Grigio

Options
  • 23-07-2011 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

It's my friends birthday and she loves her wine. Myself and my girlfriend want to get her a pretty nice bottle of white wine. Her favourite types are Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio.

I know very little about wine so would appreciate any recommendations. My budget is €60 so I would like to get her something special. Any recommendations on where to get it are equally welcome. I live on the Dublin Northside.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

New zealand are producing some great sauv blancs. Cloudy bay is lovely and should come in around the 30 quid mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

€60 is a lot to spend on a Pinot Grigio or SB.
    As said, New Zealand produce some very fine SBs, Cloudy Bay being one of the well known ones or you could look to USA for some top shelf SB.
    I don't think you get Pinot Grigios in that price bracket rond these parts but there are lots of interesting Italian quality whites to be had from a good supplier.
    You could also get a seriously good Chablis Grand Cru for that money, which any dry white wine drinker should love (even if you think you hate chardonnay;))

She might also appreciate 2 €30 bottles more and all the advice above would apply to that price range too. I like my wine and will spend money on it but I think €60 is a lot for a bottle of wine.

Best thing is to find a good independent off licence or wine shop and they'll be more than happy to advise you. I don't know Dublin wine shops so maybe someone else could advise on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Methven

I'd definitely recomment Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand but as previous poster said buy 2 bottles instead of 1. Cloudy Bay is around €28 - €30 in most off licences. Any other Sauvignon from Marlbourough around that price will be good too. Check out your local off licence and ask for their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭obried26

I would thorougly recommend a bottle of Greywacke Sav Blanc from NZ. It's made by a guy called Kevin Judd, who was head winemaker at Cloudy Bay but recently left when they were taken over by Moet-Hennessy.

I've only tried his normal Sav Blanc, but a friend told me the wild yeast one was amazing. A bottle (wild yeast one) is about £20 here in London, so not sure what retailers would be charging at home.

EDIT: Actually, just saw on his website that thecorkscrew.ie are / were selling the normal Sav Blanc (€17.95) but are now unfortunately out of stock.

Hope you get your hands on a bottle OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oyster Bay from NZ is my favourite and its only a tenner! Or Arniston Bay is lovely too.

Does she love her wine as in having a glass or does she love her wine as in being particular about it? I love my wine too but I wouldn't appreciate a 60 euro bottle for just drinking it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

+1 for Oyster Bay, Flying Kiwi is another one that deceives it's price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Yellowtail Pinot is lovely , available loads of places under a tenner, could get her 6 of them, I'd be your friend for that :-)

Advertisement