Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please...

Options
  • 23-07-2011 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi guys,

You are all probably sick of me asking for advice here, but I find this section is very useful and get great tips from it.

My problem is that when I'm sitting down, my 10 week old pup comes up and puts her two front paws on my legs for me to lift her up. She goes asleep on my lap. But tonight I noticed that when I lifted her how I have always lifted her (just under either side of her two front paws..as in under her two front armpits) she yelped and swung around to nip me. In not sure if I'm doing something wrong? We have her two weeks now and tonight was the first time she did it. Everytime I lifted her tonight, she had the same reaction.

I had her up in the refining centre today as she was due her first vacc and they placed her on a repeat of worming tablets. I'm wondering has any of this got anything to do with her obvious discomfort?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

*spelling typo! I meant rehoming centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Sounds like she's definitely in pain. My girl reacts like that when hurt. Can you try to examine her? Get her to lie on her back as though she's getting a tummy rub and have a good look round.
    If it continues you'll need to get her checked by a professional and in the meantime try and figure out a new way to get cuddles :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To be honest, I cringe when I see people lifting up dogs like that! I have no doubt that it's really uncomfortable for the dog, and I'd go so far to say that I feel it could damage the dog around the shoulders and elbows.
    I've seen many dogs snap when being picked up in that way, or other uncomfortable ways, and they can come to resent being picked up at all.
    So, I'd stick to orientating her so she's facing away from you, putting one hand between her front legs, the other hand on her hind end, supporting both ends as you lift her!

Edited for typos!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

DBB wrote: »
    To be honest, I cringe when I see people lifting up dogs like that! I have no doubt that it's really uncomfortable for the dog, and I'd go so far to say that I feel it could damage the dog around the shoulders and elbows.
    I've seen many dogs snap when being picked up in that way, or other uncomfortable ways, and they can come to resent being picked up at all.
    So, I'd stick to orientating her so she's facing away from you, putting one hand between her front legs, the other hand on her hind end, supporting both ends as you lift her!

Edited for typos!
    Agreed. Because of a dog's anatomy it's not good to pick them up like that. The best way I find is to have the dog on my right side, slide your hand under their belly and up between the front legs, then you can sit her on your hip. Of course this only works with small dogs.
    Josh+Duhamel+Carrying+Dog+Brentwood+7B8-8mWRFk_l.jpg

Looking for a photo of dogs being carried I came across this. I really cannot believe that people would carry a dog like this. Poor thing.
    dog-purse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

kylith wrote: »
    Looking for a photo of dogs being carried I came across this. I really cannot believe that people would carry a dog like this. Poor thing.
    dog-purse.jpg

She probably thinks that she looks so cool. The dog has 4 legs, why on earth can't it just walk next to her, getting the exercise that it needs, poor dog. Our club do actually have a carrier similar to that, but way, way bigger, its taken on hikes in case there is an injury to a dog, and it can be carried back to transport - but thats it, it is a piece of emergency equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Agreed. Because of a dog's anatomy it's not good to pick them up like that. The best way I find is to have the dog on my right side, slide your hand under their belly and up between the front legs, then you can sit her on your hip. Of course this only works with small dogs.
    Josh+Duhamel+Carrying+Dog+Brentwood+7B8-8mWRFk_l.jpg

If my dog needs to be carried thats how I carry him.
    dog-purse.jpg

Poor dog. :( Why would anyone want to do such a thing? :confused: Unless of course it had an injury that meant it couldn't walk but if that dog is perfectly healthy why not just let it use it's legs. :confused: Some people really have nothing between the ears! :rolleyes: If they want a handbag that draws attention why not just buy a Louis Vuitton or whatever you call that buck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP my guy was sore when he had his vaccinations so that may be it. I went to lift him and he yelped too but he was fine the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely try that way of lifting her!

Advertisement