Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puedo hablar y escribir pero no puedo entender Espanoles

• 22-07-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Me estoy frustrado. Llevo estudiando espanol 2 anos pero todavia no puedo entender los espanoles. Estuve en Espana (Andalucia) 8 semanas por aprender espanol sin embargo no podia entender nada con los nativos. Aqui en Dublin cuando veo las peliculas de espana no puedo comprender nada tampoco.
    No se lo que podria hacer!!!
    Como puedo mejorar mi espanol por escuchar?
    No puedo vivir en Espana ahora asi que tengo que hacerlo aqui en Irlanda.
    Ayuda me por favor!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Lo siento pero mi espanol no es muy bueno.
    ?De donde es usted?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

ricardo1 wrote: »
    Me estoy frustrado. Llevo estudiando espanol 2 anos pero todavia no puedo entender los espanoles. Estuve en Espana (Andalucia) 8 semanas por aprender espanol sin embargo no podia entender nada con los nativos. Aqui en Dublin cuando veo las peliculas de espana no puedo comprender nada tampoco.
    Ayuda me por favor!
    Si estas aprendiendo español debes tener paciencia como con cualquier idioma. Ademas en AndalucÃ*a hay un acento diferente al que tu estas acostumbrado Asi que te sugiero que escuches música te reúnas con algún español/a para practicar e intentes disfrutar solo de esta manera conseguirás entender el idioma. Suerte !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RebeccaWatCom

there is english - spanish language exchange in the ilac center library tuesdays at 6.
    there is also one in Havana pub wednesdays 4pm.
    language exchange is the best and most natural way to learn a language without going to the country. (I am a languages teacher and this is always what I recommend, aside from classes, of course !)
    there is www.conversationexchange.com , if you prefer one-on-one exchanges...its free, too, they all are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

there is english - spanish language exchange in the ilac center library tuesdays at 6.
    language exchange is the best and most natural way to learn a language without going to the country. (I am a languages teacher and this is always what I recommend, aside from classes, of course !)
    there is www.conversationexchange.com , if you prefer one-on-one exchanges...its free, too, they all are...

I agree its the easiest way to become atleast proficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Is there anywhere in Limerick that does this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Using audiobooks is a good way to build up your comprehension of spoken Spanish.

I'd recommend the Harry Potter series as you can get translations of the books and they're all available as audiobooks with a narrator from Spain.

The first book, Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, has about 8 hours of audio.

The basic method would be to read a section of the book (a paragraph, a page or a chapter), using the English version you can compare with the Spanish to clear up anything you're not sure of.

Read the same section again while listening to the audiobook and after this close the book and just listen to the audiobook portion. (it might take you a few listens before you're comfortable that you understand what you are hearing)

Move on to the next section of the book and work your way through til the end.

The great thing about this method is you can work on a chapter at home with the book and when you're, for example, out walking, you can listen to the chapter on your phone.

When you have finished the book, you can listen to random sections of it to guage your listening comprehension.

For your next book you wouldn't have to follow all the steps, you could just listen to the audiobook while you read the book.

If Harry Potter isn't your thing, look for some books that would interest you and see if they have accompanying audiobooks.

You can also use this method with any Spanish audio that has a transcript e.g. The Democracy Now website has a daily news bulletin in Spanish that has a verbatin transcript. http://www.democracynow.org/es

You could experiment with the method and find out what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

Yo tambien estoy aprendiendo Espanol y he estado muchas veces en el sur de Espana. Es MUY dificil entender la gente alli. En esta pagina web es possible hablar con gente de Espana. www.sharedtalk.com Si puedas hablar con gente del norte es mas facil entenderla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Brian D H

El lunes que viene (5 de marzo) es el primer evento de spanglish en dublin. Va a empezar a las 6 en D2 en Harcourt St. Habra mucho gente alla y esperamos que vosotros podrèis venir tambien. Ven y practica tu espanol/ingles! no hay mejor forma de aprender a hablar un idioma que hablar con un nativo de la lengua que estas aprendiendo!

Next Monday (5th of March) is the first Spanglish event in Dublin! It starts at 6pm in D-two on Harcourt Street. Already a big crowd is expected. Come along and get practising your English/Spanish! There is no better way to learn than speaking with natives in an organised and easy going manner!!

Hope to see you all there!! :-)

http://www.facebook.com/spanglishdublin

• I think you just need to improve your active listening comprehension and work out exactly why you can understand written Spanish but not spoken Spanish. They really aren't that different, bar the use of slang and colloquialisms in spoken Spanish, so your issue is probably that you find the spoken language too fast because you can't separate and process the different words, so it just sounds like a stream of gobbledegook.

The advice about reading audio books and reading the text as well is good. Watching movies is also good, but don't use subtitles until you've watched that scene several times in Spanish and have understood all you can. You should catch words/phrases the second or third time that you didn't get the first time. Then put on Spanish subtitles and read and listen and make sure you can hear every word spoken and how it runs into the next word. Then watch it again without the subs and concentrate on how the words are put together. It's a real effort at first to understand a foreign language spoken quickly - I don't think most people realise just how hard it is. Repetition is the key - don't move on until you're confident that you get it. I reckon that this method (movies/radio/TV shows) is often better than speaking to real Spaniards because they will slow down and simplify for you in real life when they see you don't understand, and that doesn't really help your listening problem. I spent about a year on this method before I ever went to Spain and I had very few problems when I got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eddross

i'm mexican, we speak spanish. I can help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Yire

Hola!!¿where do you live?I need to learn english. We can to meet and help us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Patience, you need lots of it to get southern accent... They swallow half the word :mad:

I have a lot of patience ... The problem is that I see many movies and series but in American English

^ Why would you watch American series and movies to learn Spanish? :confused:

I´m learning english!!!I´m from Spain

Ah ok. Pues mucha suerte...

Regla no. 1: No te juntes con españoles, lo cual es muy difícil en Dublín....

Regla no. 2: No vayas a Dicey's un martes por la tarde
    :D

:pac:

Esto no era para aprender español... ?

I´m spanish girl...

Hay grupos de intercambio / conversación en la biblioteca del ILAC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Con las respuestas de intercambio y tal, me imagino que vosotros (tanto irlandeses como espanoles) podéis beneficiar de esta página web (http://www.conversationexchange.com). La he utilizado para conocer espanoles. Con un café o una cervecita, se puede intercambiar inglés/espanol con la gente. Y así, con mucha práctica, la comprensión auditiva mejora. ánimo!

Con las respuestas de intercambio y tal, me imagino que vosotros (tanto irlandeses como espanoles) podéis beneficiar de esta página web (http://www.conversationexchange.com). La he utilizado para conocer espanoles. Con un café o una cervecita, se puede intercambiar inglés/espanol con la gente. Y así, con mucha práctica, la comprensión auditiva mejora. ánimo!

Esto es genial!!yo he conocido a mucha gente a través de ésta página,la recomiendo si.Un saludo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnSan

Hola a todos,
    Estoy completamente de acuerdo con la Regla no. 1: No te juntes con españoles

A mi me ha servido mucho esta página de intercambio de idiomas para practicar mi inglés
    http://www.languageforexchange.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Hola,

yo ver la programa de televisión "Aída"... Aqui - http://www.seriesyonkis.com/serie/aida entiendo más ahora

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

Go to the following link for a Spanish tv channel. Go to series . Look for a programme you think you might like. There is a button for subtitles for the deaf people in Spain.

You can watch a scene without subtitles, rewind put them on and see what words you didn't pick up and then watch the scene again without them and listen out for the new words.

Pick a proper Spanish t.v programme and not an English programme dubbed in Spanish. My "Spanish hearing" has improved a lot in the last month using this.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 janito

Ayuda me por favor!

Hello Ricardo,
    I think I can really help you understand Spanish without that stress which learning a language usually involves.
    I´m an experienced teacher of Spanish from the best speaking place "Valladolid". I teach online Spanish classes on a well known platform. For example now I´m teaching Spanish through Spanish short movies” We discuss the plot, characters. Students have lots of assignments, exercises, grammar. Students have the opportunity to practise everyday life situations while enjoying movies, humour sketches and so on. Students can also contact me via email for anything they want.
    I can also teach via skype to students who want to develop their communicative skills.

You can contact me at skype: isabelmourealvarez (as a new user I can´t post my email adress yet)
    My name is Isabel.
    Janito

• Registered Users Posts: 7 janito

Ayuda me por favor!

Hello Ricardo,
    I think I can really help you understand Spanish without that stress which learning a language usually involves.
    I´m an experienced teacher of Spanish from the best speaking place "Valladolid". I teach online Spanish classes on a well known platform. For example now I´m teaching Spanish through Spanish short movies” We discuss the plot, characters. Students have lots of assignments, exercises, grammar. Students have the opportunity to practise everyday life situations while enjoying movies, humour sketches and so on. Students can also contact me via email for anything they want.
    I can also teach via skype to students who want to develop their communicative skills.

You can contact me at skype: isabelmourealvarez or at (34) 659276126 (whatsapp) (as a new user I can´t post my email adress yet)
    My name is Isabel.
    Janito

Advertisement