Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC making popping noise

Options
  • 22-07-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭

Earlier today i heard a loud popping noise coming from my computer maybe >5/6 of the noises which sounds like popcorn or bubblewrap if your not sure what i'm talking about. I thought i heard these before about a month or two ago but they were barely audible, the one's today were loud & even sounded as they were coming from the speakers.
    After looking it up the most common suggestions are either the fan or HDD
    1) something caught in the fan
    2) fan going to pack up
    3) HDD going to pack up
    I didn't open the PC(yet) to check if there's something getting caught with the fan & was just online when the noise's happened i wasn't trying to access anything from the HDD(not sure if that matters or not)
    Does anyone know if these are the likely causes of the popping noise & how long would there be before they just pack in completely or will this just happen randomly someday. I wouldn't think there's any point replacing either component either as the PC is an old dell which was got second hand, if it would hold out for a bit longer to gather money up for a new one

Advertisement