Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could dog be badly injured?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We have a border collie who is approx 7 years old. Earlier on this evening we noticed that she wasn't herself. She is a timid dog anyway but she seems even more subdued than normal. We are wondering if she could have gotten hit (lightly) by a car as she seems to be a bit dazed, for want of a better word.
    She is alert, responds to us and knows us, also responds to random noises. I felt her head and body, moved her legs etc and she doesn't seem to be in any pain, however she was very reluctant to stand up when I called her.
    when she did get up and start to walk, her walk is a bit funny. It's hard to describe but she seems a tiny bit off balance, like if a human were walking whilst slightly dizzy.
    Just wondering if it's possible she got hit, or could there be any other cause for the funny walk? We are going to observe her tonight and take her to the vet in the morning if she hasn't improved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

She could possibly have an ear infection which would cause her to un balanced but you should really take her to a vet to have her checked out either way, whether she improves or not.

Is she shaking her head, or tilting it to one side at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Was she out unsupervised to be able to get hit??

I'd bring her to the vet to be on the safe side, especially if she's walking like she's dizzy...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

January wrote: »
    Was she out unsupervised to be able to get hit??

I'd bring her to the vet to be on the safe side, especially if she's walking like she's dizzy...

She was In the garden, she normally never ever strays from it and our house is not right on the road, there is a long driveway. I don't monitor her every move out there, she normally just relaxes in the sun on days like this. I don't need lectures please.

Sorry if I described it wrong, she does not seem dizzy, just a tiny bit unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

andreac wrote: »
    She could possibly have an ear infection which would cause her to un balanced but you should really take her to a vet to have her checked out either way, whether she improves or not.

Is she shaking her head, or tilting it to one side at all?

Thanks, no she doesn't seem to be shaking her head, it was a bit tilted earlier though.

Edit: she is walking around a bit more now, she does not seem as unbalanced now, but is walking a bit slower than normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I would suggest you take your dog to the vet in the morning especially if you don't know what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement