Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Therapy Dogs Association Sligo

Options
  • 22-07-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hope mods don't mind but think this fits in well here. For anybody of an outgoing character with an easy going dog, they might be interesting in helping me with this. I've currently been assigned the new Sligo Co-ordinator for the organisation and I need more visiting teams. See below for more details.

Our Mission:

Irish Therapy Dogs mission is to provide physical, therapeutic and educational benefit to
    people – young and old - in hospitals, nursing homes, day care centres, schools and other
    places where people may be restricted from having pets and where the presence of dogs, and
    their handlers, will add comfort and support.

Who Are We:

We are an Irish national, voluntary pet therapy organisation dedicated to the advancement
    of pet therapy for the provision of comfort and affection to people in long-term or daily
    residential care, the advancement of education and development of people with special needs
    through the use of dogs and the promotion of a general awareness of the importance and
    benefits of pet therapy.

We will form alliances with other voluntary, medical and educational organisations and will
    liase with international organisations to ensure the development and implementation of best
    practices in animal therapy in Ireland.

Irish Therapy Dogs is developing a national network of caring volunteers who are willing to
    develop and share their dogs to bring support and happiness to people - young and old alike.

What is a Therapy Dog?

Pet therapy has been described as the use of companion animals (dogs in our case) to enhance
    the quality of life of people in caring environments by visiting and interacting with them.
    Therapy dog teams (owner and dog) work to improve the emotional health of people in a
    variety of settings. They bring joy and comfort to patients, visitors, and staff in care centres
    such as long stay nursing and retirement homes, day care centres, centres for people with
    special needs and schools where they help children learn to read.

Why Use a Therapy Dog?

They provide a general feeling of well being, non-judgemental affection and can help people
    with specific therapy activities.

There are two ways that therapy dogs can help -- through Animal Assisted Activities (AAA)
    and Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT).

Animal Assisted Activities are casual activities where people and pets connect. Typically,
    these dogs would just visit the centres mentioned above and enhance the lives of people there
    by interacting with them. These visits help make difficult situations somewhat easier for the
    people involved. Though the dogs don't need any specialized training, it is important that they
    be calm and friendly and well behaved. Both dog and owner working as a team must pass a
    strict assessment of suitability.

Benefits of a Therapy Dog

Aids stimulation and motivation
    Provides focus for conversation
    Helps combat lonliness and depression
    Offers distraction from pain and infirmity
    Brings companionship
    Gives unconditional affection
    Is a good listener and doesn't ask any questions
    Is non judgemental and non selective
    Gives welcome change from routine
    Can be lifeline for people who have had to give up a pet on entering a care centre

Visiting Programme:

Irish Therapy Dogs Visiting Programme involves approved and registered volunteers
    and their dogs paying regular visits to various care centres. The visits are weekly and
    approximately one hours duration. A weekly commitment is of the utmost importance. It’s
    essential not to disappoint residents who will be looking forward to the visit. The key to the
    success of the therapy is the relationship with the residents.

Every applicant of owner and dog working as a team must pass an assessment of suitability.
    The owner should be over 18 years of age, have a warm and caring personality and must
    demonstrate full control of the dog in all circumstances. The dog must undergo behavioural
    assessment to ensure its friendly, sociable and tolerant nature and that it is at ease in hospital
    type environments. High standards of hygiene are important on visits to the relevant
    institutions.

Any breed or cross breed dog, except for those which must be muzzled under the “Control of
    Dogs” Act, will be considered for assessment. Normally dogs should be between 12 months
    and 10 years of age.

Although there is no formal “training programme”, all volunteers are given instructions at
    the time of their assessment in the Irish Therapy Dogs “Guidelines for Visiting Teams”.
    They will also be accompanied on their first few visits by an experienced Irish Therapy Dogs
    Visitor in order to give training/advice on visiting work.

As we are visiting vulnerable people or children, all owners will be Garda vetted. References
    will also be required.

Owner/dog teams are fully insured for third party liability in the course of their visits.

I’ve currently been appointed the role of Sligo’s Local Co-ordinator for the Irish Therapy
    Dogs Association and will gladly answer any questions regarding the above.

We’re actively looking for new recruits and volunteers within the Sligo/Leitirm area
    as many centres are still without a therapy dog. Feel free to PM me and just put “Therapy Dogs” in the subject box.

You can also check out the Irish Therapy Dogs website at http://www.irishtherapydogs.ie/
    and their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Therapy-Dogs/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I can see that plenty of people have viewed the thread so I'm hoping some are considering getting in touch.

Just an update, that the next dog visiting team test to take place in Sligo will be Oct 1st. Before this an application form must be filled in and sent off with two references and a Garda vetting form.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with me and I can post one out to whomever is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think it's a great idea. If I could trust my guy I would sign us up....but he's a bit temperamental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

It's a great programme alright. Only getting the name out again in Sligo now, and it's getting some interest :) Might look into newspapers now and get the word out more that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PetCare

Did anyone around benefit from a therapy dog lately ?

Advertisement