Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walk morning or evening

Options
  • 22-07-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to peoples opinions. I walk my 2 twice a day but talking to a friend earlier she said she only walks her dog of an evening so he's tired for bed, now my take on it is that they need a walk in the morning if possible otherwise they could end up bored all day.

So if you could or do only walk once a day is it the morning or evening and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I always walk my fella before I go to work, as I work shifts that are different almost every day I cant set a time to walk him, when I get home he gets 10-15 mins in the field at the front of the house chasing the ball, then its bed time for me most times, I get back up dinner walk dog again then depending on next shift it could be back to work again!

Each dog is different though and their energy levels will differ with some only needing one walk a day! If you feel your 2 could do with 2 walks, maybe even try one short walk and one long walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry, my dogs have always been twice a day at least, no matter what else was going on. Morning before work so they wouldn't be bored while I was away, and then evenings to help me wind down after a day at work:D Obviously sometimes there may have been occasions when something came up that I couldn't do a walk, but very, very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My setter only gets one walk and it's usually in the evening. But it's an off lead run for at least half an hour (if it's bucketing down) and usually about an hour if the weather is ok.

The following morning she's usually too wrecked for a long run, we have gone on a few but evenings usually work better for us.

Edit: There's one of us at home 90% of the time so she gets stimulated during the day as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, my dogs have always been twice a day at least, no matter what else was going on. Morning before work so they wouldn't be bored while I was away, and then evenings to help me wind down after a day at work:D Obviously sometimes there may have been occasions when something came up that I couldn't do a walk, but very, very rarely.

I'm the same but mine are fierce lazy in the morning - its hilarious trying to get them out. my female also refuses to go for a walk if its raining any harder than a light drizzle. but yes, generally twice a day. i'm lucky i get home at lunchtime as well so we play with the ball in the garden then.

My setter only gets one walk and it's usually in the evening. But it's an off lead run for at least half an hour (if it's bucketing down) and usually about an hour if the weather is ok.

The following morning she's usually too wrecked for a long run, we have gone on a few but evenings usually work better for us.

Edit: There's one of us at home 90% of the time so she gets stimulated during the day as well.

yeah i think with the bigger dogs a long walk is good - my westies though seem to do better on 2 shorter walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

garkane wrote: »
    If you feel your 2 could do with 2 walks, maybe even try one short walk and one long walk!

Sorry i didn't make it clear my 2 always get 2 walks come rain or shine, and long may it continue :D I was just curious as to what others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mine get evening walks during the weekdays, because I'm gone by 7am and you won't budge them at that hour.
    Weekends it depends, usually before 11 they'll get a walk and if they're particularly wound up and I'm not too sore, I might bring them for an evening one too.

The older one won't go out if it's raining/drizzle even though she'll go mad at you to bring her, she won't go outside, lunatic.

They play in the house and out the back during the day so they're never too bored anyway, they're small and they seem content with one walk a day but if I can I bring them for two.

yeah i think with the bigger dogs a long walk is good - my westies though seem to do better on 2 shorter walks.

I do think an off lead run makes a huge difference to a walk on a lead. My setter is from a working strain and needs to let off steam in her work environment. I would be doing her a huge disservice if I just walked her on a lead all the time.

I'm minding a yorkshire terrier for a week from this Saturday, She's quite refined and like your westie does NOT like the rain! Going to be fun and games with their different styles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I could not get away with one walk per day, not even for the lazy older dog!! When I was working and just had the one dog (lazy older one) it was walk in the morning about 20/30 mins and a long walk in the evening about an hour. Now I'm not working and I also have a younger collie/boxer cross I do 30 mins in the morning with both, an hour just with 2nd dog in the afternoon and 20 mins or so in the evening with both. Try and do about 6 or 7 miles over the day, older dog would only cover about 3 miles of that. To be honest I find it great for me as well, whether I like it or not I just have to get out and walk no matter how tired or miserable I feel or how awful the weather is. If it's one of those days when it's just raining the entire day I still out 3 times just do shorter walks.

I do think an off lead run makes a huge difference to a walk on a lead. My setter is from a working strain and needs to let off steam in her work environment. I would be doing her a huge disservice if I just walked her on a lead all the time.

I'm minding a yorkshire terrier for a week from this Saturday, She's quite refined and like your westie does NOT like the rain! Going to be fun and games with their different styles!

absolutely, i take mine to the curragh the weekends for a run off lead and they be exhausted!! such a difference - westies are real powerhouses of energy and love to get a good run. Like your setter (fab dogs by the way), its the 'working' ancestry in them - i think my female is just a bit spoiled as she teeny for westie. ah the little yorkie - I can just picture it lol!

• Advertisement

absolutely, i take mine to the curragh the weekends for a run off lead and they be exhausted!! such a difference - westies are real powerhouses of energy and love to get a good run. Like your setter (fab dogs by the way), its the 'working' ancestry in them - i think my female is just a bit spoiled as she teeny for westie. ah the little yorkie - I can just picture it lol!

I can see a lot of walks, probably separately. Their two styles of exercise are just not compatable. I wouldn't dream of letting the yorkie off lead and my girl will have heart failure if she just gets an on lead walk. As far as she's concerned the lead is only for the walk to the field or the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have a german shepherd, she is very active! I get up 3 mornings a week around 6.30 before work and go for a 5mile run with her and we go for a light 3-4mile walk every evening about 5-5.30 just a stroll nice easy pace! I also agree with borderlinemeath I also hav a one yr old working line english setter and bring her field maybe twice a week to be let off lead she runs around like a lunatic haha but needs it to expell all her energy! I think how much you walk and excersize the dog really depends on the individually dogs needs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Mine get one walk a day and it is always at stupid O'clock either 2 in the morning or 5 or 6 in the morning. Our old lady get maybe a 10 min walk to the shop a every second day. She's just not that into it anymore.

I rather them to run free and at that time you dont meet many people that will complain. If we do meet anyone they have the same idea as us and the dogs have a better time when they meet other dogs.

I know there are some on here going to tell me Im wrong and they should be on a lead all the time :rolleyes: But they are doing just grand. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Mine get two walks each a day, one walk each in the morning, and one each in the evening. So two hours walking for me, an hour each for the dogs. More a case of me making myself go out and get plenty of exercise by splitting up their walks. Honestly, I think somedays that big dog would rather not go for a walk at all, he's always just lazing around the house when I'm getting ready for a walk. He's a big pup though so I cant walk him too far yet for fear of putting too much pressure on the joints. Cant do offlead runs though, curse of being an RB owner:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Shanao wrote: »
    Mine get two walks each a day, one walk each in the morning, and one each in the evening. So two hours walking for me, an hour each for the dogs. More a case of me making myself go out and get plenty of exercise by splitting up their walks. Honestly, I think somedays that big dog would rather not go for a walk at all, he's always just lazing around the house when I'm getting ready for a walk. He's a big pup though so I cant walk him too far yet for fear of putting too much pressure on the joints. Cant do offlead runs though, curse of being an RB owner:(

Do what I do ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Should have mentioned, their recall is shocking as they've an extremely high prey drive. So once they get running, big dog will come back, but the bitch(yes that's her nickname and for good reason) wont even consider it, she'll just keep going. So far I've managed them on the beach with 30ft tracking leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

20-30 mins in the morning with usually 5 mins off lead as the park doesn't usually open until 7:30 and then an hour walking in the evening then so off lead time which varies depending on who's in the park to play. I don't walk him on daycare days as he usually crashes out as soon as we get home and he has his dindins :D. If it's raining we wear our raingear :pac: if we're lucky in the morning the park might be open or the gate might have a long chain - enough for us to squeeze in and i'll let him off for the walk - i always have to distract him when we pass the playground -the gates are always open in the morning and he's run in a few times lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Ours is a terrier, and it's twice a day.

In the beginning we just walked him in the mornings. And he'd snooze for the afternoon then. But then he wasn't sleeping at night.

So now it's morning and evening otherwise he has too much energy. But it depends on the dog and the breed, I think. We just happen to have a high-energy breed (JRT).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I do shift work so its usually morning if im working late or evening if im working early - Its usually 2 hours mostly off lead.

Day off its usually 2 walks both over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Have 1 large,1 small and do long walk in am and short before bed. If they're in luck they'll get out over lunch too. Although not small one if its raining....he seems to think he'll melt if he gets wet! They def get more worn out off lead so try to get them somewhere suitable everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two get at least 2 walks a day, morning half hour off lead run (even when it means getting up at 6am), and evening walk with off lead run again. There's also the short walks to the shop and stuff, sometimes when I'm not working we'll go for an hour walk and off lead run, depends on the weather, mine don't like it too hot (little bitch doesn't like rain either:rolleyes:).
    I think a well walked dog is a well behaved dog (too tired for mischief), so far its working with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I work 3 days a week so on the days I'm working my lady gets an evening walk of about an hour, days I'm not working - the other 4 days -, she gets about 40 mins in the morning and 45 in the evening. She's a staffie and loves her walks.

Advertisement