Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable crimps

Options
  • 22-07-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

anyone know where i can get some? need to put some on my gear cables

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'll find big bags of them on eBay. I've also gotten them free from big shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

superglue would probably do to stop them fraying if you're stuck.
    New fangled fancydan cables might be hard to solder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

On this subject, does solder work instead of crimps? I have some solder and a soldering iron and was thinking of giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No reason why it wouldn't.

On this subject, does solder work instead of crimps? I have some solder and a soldering iron and was thinking of giving it a go.
    Can't remember if I ever did it or how it turned out. Good flux and proper lead solder (none of this lead free rubbish) would do it I reckon.

A snipped off bit of terminal block would do (as a bodge). Handy stuff to have around, could get you out of a bind if a cable snapped on you in the backarse of nowhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive a solder as well actually could be handy :D il just get a bag of crimps from ebay or something as well thanks guys

Newer cables with teflon or other coatings might be difficult to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Jebus,im old school and ive never soldered a cable!dont see why it wouldnt still work though,most standard cables arent coated with anything,the good ones are a bit slicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

anyone know where i can get some? need to put some on my gear cables

From experience, if you ask nicely in a bike-shop you should get a few for free.

Halfords have little bags of crimps. I've just been there.

I'm gonna give the solder a go next time I'm changing cables.

• Advertisement

Halfords have little bags of crimps. I've just been there.

I'm gonna give the solder a go next time I'm changing cables.

Let me know if you want some cotton bar tape and a shellac finish to go with your solder ends,bring back the days of olde,that's what I say:D

If I knew what shellac was I'd take you up on that offer.

If I knew what shellac was I'd take you up on that offer.

It's a secretion from a little insect,that is collected dried and flaked, it's mixed with alcohol to treat wood but used to be used to make cotton bar tape last longer,it's like varnish I suppose, very old school indeed and I love that!
    Also a great band of the same name, check em out;)

That kind of workmanship would be wasted on a philistine like me. I'll stick to the €3 bar tape.

Advertisement